512TR Dreaming | FerrariChat

512TR Dreaming

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by K1A, Jun 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. K1A

K1A Rookie

Jun 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    KA
    New to the concept of 512TR. Prices and long term appreciation and or maintain issues with higher mile cars from those with experience appreciated. Wondering about Cars north of 30-35k miles>> expected values/pricing, long term desirability, pitfalls, experience ownership etc knowledge would be appreciated.

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    it would be also appreciated if you would introduce yourself a little and fill out your profile. thx

3. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Mid mileage cars that are well maintained and driven often are very reliable. Very low mileage and never driven can end up very bad.

EZORED likes this.
  4. K1A

K1A Rookie

Jun 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    KA
    Interesting answer to my question, just a follower of the forum for many years jumping in first fresh with a passion for cars and the car community. Hope the focus can go back to the knowledge sharing of the topic and cars we all love.

5. K1A

K1A Rookie

Jun 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    KA
    Thanks for you lot reply and makes sense, but real life experience with TR, and prices etc

6. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    I have a car with just over 31k miles and drive it regularly with over a decade of ownership. I have only had to address an a/c recharge issue and minor trim faults over the past decade, so my ownership experience has been uneventful outside of routine fluid changes, and a clutch job around 24kmi.

As far as value/desirability - Just keep in mind Ferrari buyers are odd in that they like red/tan and do not want cars with miles, so if you do not plan to be a long term owner of the car I would stick with a lower mileage example being red/tan for ease of sale. If you plan to keep it for a while (e.g. 10yrs) dont worry about the miles as long as the car has no long list of issues. If you want a no issue car, youre probably being unrealistic but one needing tires, major, and some cosmetics shouldn’t be a scare factor.

fridolin_pt and K1A like this.
  7. K1A

K1A Rookie

Jun 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    KA
    Sherrillt, that was very helpful insight!

8. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    I have owned a 512TR 1993 since 1996
    bought it with 10k
    I now have 110k on it
    never left me anywhere
    replaced the engine at 96 k with one that had 16k on it
    original transmission
    wore out front brakes and the steering rack at 90k
    replaced all the bushings all around and when I did the engine swap I replaced the clutch and flywheel
    if you drive the car it will work
    expect to replace the radiators, I replaced mine with aftermarket aluminum ones that cool much better
    PM if you want all the tips on the car
    clyde

9. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    totally agree here
    a low mileage car is a nightmare
    I can't tell you the number of cars I have PDI for people and tell them to add $15k to the price for repairs