Anyone have a new windshield installed lately? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Anyone have a new windshield installed lately?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ferraritalian, Jun 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I had my 328 windshield replaced last year after a golf ball smashed it while I was on the Highway.... here is the long story short:

1. State Farm- insurance. called the agent - showed him the car in person - he agreed it was a golf ball strike - one in a million they would cover it 100%.
    2. Indicated that I wanted OEM part - huge problem as there were only about 5-10 in the WORLD. 4 in usa - 1 in Atlanta and it was chipped. 1 in Philly at $5K.... 2 in Cali for $3,500 each. you can get replacement ones from Italy - but they don't have the proper tinting ... for $2K.
    3. Install was by Bo Pirkle... so that is its own story... took 3 months. start to finish)
    4. while I was at it - I put on ceramic UV film as well.... great move was so much cooler in the summer.
    5. the surround is the other part you want to have incase your car's one gets damaged... they always get damaged in removal..... figure another $1,500
    6. All in total for windshield only - $6,300. but it is original Siglia glass, and looked great. to make it fit you have to use mastic, and also file down a couple parts of the bare metal that were not smooth... it was a real PITA.

308 milano likes this.
  2. bowman

bowman Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Benoni South Africa
    Full Name:
    Grant Adams

3. bowman

bowman Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Benoni South Africa
    Full Name:
    Grant Adams
    Struggling little to post well.reply but will.get it right am sure - what we do is take a.piece of plywood - need something firm.to.keep.the shape - place a piece on the top of.glass and trace the curveture - .Template must be done on outside.of glass so when you receive it your glass doesnt have to be removed but just put template on your glass and see if it.matches - do for top.and bottom - hope I make.sense if not will try again LoL - guy doing template must mark.on template exact centre of windscreen as a reference point - this will tell you if glass underbent.or.overbent.and.also size with width height and diagonal.sizes - not 100% guaranteed but will.give you a good idea

308 milano likes this.
  4. bowman

bowman Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Benoni South Africa
    Full Name:
    Grant Adams
    Forgot. To mention when you have template you will have to mark moulding/ beading and cut out a little so.that it fits.over your moulding on both sides to make.sure on shape -

308 milano likes this.
  5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ok I have a proposal. I have not mention this but right before I had the final windshield installed on my QV, I was able to buy a used original windshield for my QV and we tried it on my car and it fit but I didn’t use that, instead I used the new PGI windshield from Australia and so I made a wooden crate and stored the original windshield in my storage for back up or spare just in case.

Now I spoke to a windshield company here SoCal, they said they can make a mold out of my original Sigla windshield and with that, they can make a brand new windshield that will be identical to the original dimensional wise. They also said that if the windshield doesn’t fit they will not charge me anything., the problem here is, what or who’s 308 are we going to use to fit the windshield. Anyway, If the windshield fit, the price would be very cheap to produce so I was thinking maybe a group buy. They also said they can copy the original “Sigla” and etched it on the glass, I know it’s a proprietary name or logo but who’s gonna tell?
    So if there’s any interest, let me know.

Cirorsi likes this.
  6. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    From what’s been said, it looks like PGI glass fits every time. Mike, do you know if there is a North America distributor for this glass? Also mind giving us a ballpark price on what this glass cost? If it’s just a few hundred dollars more it doesn’t really make sense to spend the time and hassle having custom glass manufacturing. Others may feel differently of course. Just my two cents.

7. Ferraritalian

Ferraritalian Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    So Mike, you are pretty confident the PGI glass and the Sigla are the same dimensions?

Given the discrepancy between other fits, do you believe your QV dimensions are the same as earlier 308 GTS?

I’d be interested in participating in a group buy, but I’d want some belief that it would fit my car.

8. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The PGI Glass I bought was from GT Car Parts in Arizona 623-780-2200 and I paid something like $860 but if I had it remanufacture I think the cost would be something like $500 but not 100% sure, I have to verify on the price from them.

308 milano likes this.
  9. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    At least according to my experience with my car they are pretty much the same as they both fit on my car. Now, I’m not sure if my QV dimensions are the same as the earlier car, if I have to answer, I would say NO they are not the same. I’ve also tried the same windshield that a friend of mine bought for his 82 GTSi that fit like a glove on his car but not on my QV.

10. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #60 308 milano, Jun 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    Remember, Fit is going to be affected by existing urethane buildup from previous windshield placement. I would remove all of it, right down to the pinch weld, THEN check to see how the glass lays in place.
    Oops. Someone mentioned this earlier. Looks like there is a North American distributor ship for PGI glass in Houston.

11. Cuddy K

Cuddy K Karting

Oct 30, 2017
    Full Name:
    Ian Karr
    I'd be interested in a group buy. My QV has a few chips that I fear someday will turn into cracks...

miketuason likes this.
  12. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've had a crack in my QV windshield for 6 years. Drilled a hole to stop the propagation. I'd be interested in a group buy if I knew it would fit. I'd rather have a small crack than have the car down 3 months, trying multiple windshields. BTW, I have a new windshield sitting in a crate, but when I lay it on the cracked windshield, it looks like all the other pics in these threads, 1/4" gap.

I didn't know anybody manufactured windshields in the USA. Thought those days ended long ago

13. Cirorsi

Cirorsi Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2016
    Louisiana / Lac du Saint Sacrement, NY
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I'd be interested Mike.

14. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Mine is tragically annoying; someone who apparently ran the wipers with no blades, scratching it. I'd almost rather have a rock from the interstate.

15. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ok i will talk to the windshield maker and see if three or four pieces is enough to to start but the question here still stand as to what car 308 can they use to try fit the windshield after it has been made? I guess we can just lay the new one on top of the original windshield and if the whole surface of the glass lay flat on it then it’s pretty much it’s going to okay.

16. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Mike you really can’t just lay the windshield you a checking on top of the original to check the fit as it will be off the thickness of the windshield. The actual traced shape of the inside of a windshield is different then the traced shape of the windshields outside surface by the thickness of the glass. You could mark with tape a point splitting the windshield in half on both windshields, take a string and measure the ‘good’ windshield and compare the string length to the new windshield. It would at least tell you the total length was the same. It would not give you the curvature though.

308 milano likes this.
  17. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    #67 ducowti, Nov 16, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    FOLLOW UP/RESOLUTION:

Sourced a properly fitting glass from Russ Putnam/FerrParts Inc., who had a used/very good condition glass that had the proper curvature.

What a debacle this has been. The silver lining is it feels like I have a new (to me) Ferrari again, just like when I first brought her home in 2008!

18. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I just had my windscreen replaced, the only problem was trying to find a new one delivered without damage , once the shop had one in perfect shape, his glass guy did a fantastic job installing it.

Thank you

19. Gino328

Gino328 Rookie

Jun 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joe Watson
    I had my windshield replaced about a month ago in my ‘87 328 GTS. We bought a brand new one from FerrParts and it came in a wooden crate in perfect condition. It was also a perfect fit.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    They sent my shop 2 that were cracked, glad they found a good one for you

Thank you

21. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Before I finally found a windshield that has the right curvature and fit, I went through seven windshield that came from different part of the world and non of them were damage, here’s one that came from Maranello concessionary and one from Pilkington Glass in UK Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Did you return them?
    When I swapped my windshield maybe 10 years ago, fitment was an issue. so was obtaining the molding.

miketuason likes this.
  23. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No I didn’t return them the dealer F of Newport Beach took care of all the windshields, I think they kept some of it. By the way, the glass installer was able to reuse my moldings.

24. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    Are new mouldings still available? If so from what supplier ?
    Thanks

25. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    From what I’ve heard Ferr Parts from Sacramento has them or can get them.