Need pwr seat wiring diagram for 355 spider | FerrariChat

Need pwr seat wiring diagram for 355 spider

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by tbakowsky, Mar 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I need a wiring diagram for a 97 355 spider for the power seats and roof. The drivers side seat postion sensor has gone for a walk. I want to find out if there is anyway of bypassing the position switch to get the seat to work. Normaly if you disconnect the position switch the seat will operate in both directions. In this case the seat will only move forward and no back.

Switch is fine
    seat motor is good.

Anybody have a similar problem with their cars?

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Why not just replace the seat position sensor? They seem to almost always be the cause of the problem.

Brian Brown

3. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    BUMP:
    Can anyone post the wiring diagram requested in original heading post. Thanks

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Wow! I posted that a long time ago...I still dont have a schematic either..

However through experiance...maybe I can help you now. What is the issue?

5. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    ha ha… someone left me some bare wires under my drivers seat and, for the moment, I need to get the seat moved backwards so my knees are not against my chest..LOL

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #6 Qavion, Jun 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    By position switch, did you mean the potentiometer under the seat? If disconnecting the potentiometer doesn't drive the seat in a particular direction it sounds like a Roof Controller internal problem. There are probably internal relays in the controller for reversing the polarity on the seat motor. Either that or the seat control switch isn't getting voltage (from the AC System fuse in the footwell) or the wiring from the seat switch to the roof controller is faulty.

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If you want to power the driver's seat motor directly (i.e. via the 2-pin motor plug under the seat) to check the motor, hook up your battery or power supply positive to the white-black wire on the plug and an earth to the blue-black wire. Make sure you add a 15 amp fuse and some kind of toggle switch in your power supply wiring to control motor power. Otherwise, you might see a lot of arcing when you hook up the wiring. Reverse the wires to drive the seat forward.

9. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I use what I call my Seat Tracomatic 2. I made these years ago to reach under 355 seats and move them to get to the seat mount bolts. Just plug it in and hook up power, reverse polarity and the seat goes the other way.

Attached Files:

Qavion likes this.
  10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Cool, that is very useful for stuck seats.

11. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    thanks Ian, I know you would have the correct info. for the moment, all I need to do is move the seat back.

Qavion likes this.
  12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I checked the wiring on my RHD spider and it looks like the seat motor red wire (motor plug pin 2) is hooked up to the white-black and white wires (driver's and passenger's seat respectively). Therefore, the motors' red wire is the backwards direction (when positive volts are applied).

Diagram updated with this information:

Ferrari F355 (1998) Roof & Seat Wring diagram