Considering a 2012 FF... | FerrariChat

Considering a 2012 FF...

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by ArabianOak, Jun 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ArabianOak

ArabianOak Karting

Jun 17, 2020
    Saint Charles, IL
    Full Name:
    Abraham
    Hi gang,

I am considering a 2012 Ferrari ff. 25k miles, full maintenance history, huge sticker of 343k. Local dealer will let one go at 110k.

I would be trading my mclaren 12c in. I know these are two totally different cars.

I am looking for a decent backseat and more comfort...but don’t really wanna give up having a fun toy either...the FF seems to fit that bill and give a lot of bang for buck as well considering the prices.

how’s reliability? Anything I need to be aware of over the build years? Is 2012 as good as a 2016? Any info to help me make my decision would be great. Thanks!

2. Tireman

Tireman Karting

Nov 13, 2011
    Canada
    my favorite overall Fcar ... you wont be dissappointed

ArabianOak likes this.
  3. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    Great car LOVE mine! I have a 14 I purchased with about 2500 miles. I wouldn't consider though $343k a Huge stcker, my sticker was just about $390k and many other have higher

4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There is ton of info on this forum. Do a couple searches for things like FF issues, problems, reliability, and the like.

ArabianOak likes this.
  5. Leon Redensky

Leon Redensky Rookie

Jul 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nototrader
    For what it’s worth, I just traded my FF in for a lusso at Porsche of Arlington. It’s a 15 with every option, 13k miles. Glass. Lifter. CarPlay. Etc. it’s near perfect with new tires and service just done a few weeks ago. (I wasn’t planning on selling it a few weeks ago when I spent the money). It’s a little more expensive but definitely a better buy. Blu America custom paint.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    Nice looking FF you had, what made you trade to the Lusso? I really love my FF, and test drove both the Lusso V12 and T when I purchased my FF about a year ago. T was not for me , but the FF checked all the right boxes. Lusso def much nicer/modernized inside but FF felt a bit more raw. for the money 12 months ago wasn't worth the difference in price point, but now I suppose the gap has closed and worth a consideration

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  7. Leon Redensky

Leon Redensky Rookie

Jul 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nototrader
    Honestly, I think it was the boredom of quarantine. I liked the FF. Bit after 5 min with the lusso, it really feels superior in every way. If you don’t care about options, there is probably a 50-60k spread at this point.

ArabianOak and LeoBRK like this.
  8. ArabianOak

ArabianOak Karting

Jun 17, 2020
    Saint Charles, IL
    Full Name:
    Abraham
    Thanks for all the feedback gang. Is 109k for a 2012 with 25k miles a good deal? Here’s the window sticker that shows options...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Richmond, VA + Düsseldorf, Germany
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    not bad, is it from an AD? I would always go for one with power warranty until you know the car better. personally, I would miss vent seats. I was particularly looking for that option.
    Anyway, for 110k its totally worth it. prices are very unstable right now, the FF level dropped the last few months a good 10 percent. I paid in Feb 120k for an equally spec'd car from an AD (in my preferred combination).

ArabianOak likes this.
  10. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Decently option,105-110 seems fair, get a 1 year warranty if you can !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. ArabianOak

ArabianOak Karting

Jun 17, 2020
    Saint Charles, IL
    Full Name:
    Abraham
    It’s not an AD car but has been fully serviced etc.

Is there any recommendation for a good warranty company? Will Ferrari sell me a 1 year without it being an AD car?

12. Leon Redensky

Leon Redensky Rookie

Jul 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nototrader
    I think is depends on how budget sensitive you are. If 20-30k doesn’t matter much, I would go 14-15 with the glass roof. Don’t love the first year of any of these card when the price is pretty close. Again, I traded my car in..so I have no skin in the game but I know what I had and know what it can be purchased for. DM me if you are interested.

13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Ferrari will inspect your car and if it passes:I.e no aftermarket stuff on it they will offer you a 1 year at 8200 I think, which you can renew.
    If not you can go to ferrsure for the same price.
    I bought mine with 2 years. Peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris0315 and ArabianOak like this.
  14. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Richmond, VA + Düsseldorf, Germany
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    i second that. I would only go for AD. they are just too complex. once I put 10k on them and know them i dont care. But buying a lemon in that price range isnt worth it. 20k repairing can happen easily if 4WD or whatever is f$%d.

15. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    I would find one from an AD, have the 2 year CPO put into the deal. You shouldn't pay much more than the price your looking at now

16. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Specs on 12c please?

Mike

ArabianOak likes this.
  17. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I sent you a pm

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ArabianOak likes this.
  18. ArabianOak

ArabianOak Karting

Jun 17, 2020
    Saint Charles, IL
    Full Name:
    Abraham
    hi mike. If you look above I included the window sticker. Is this one decently spec”d?

19. Darkshear

Darkshear Karting

Mar 31, 2019
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Kalon Dillon
    Have you read through all the service and maintenance history? Couple of nasty gearbox/PTU issues to be aware of especially on early model years, but if they've already been dealt with you'll be in a lot better comfort zone. Or like the guys said, get the warranty.

ArabianOak likes this.
  20. ArabianOak

ArabianOak Karting

Jun 17, 2020
    Saint Charles, IL
    Full Name:
    Abraham
    yes. I’m coming from a mclaren 12c that had a 2 year ferrsure warranty. I was pleased with that company and never had issues. The dealer is able to sell me a warranty from the same company. Would you go just engine and trans? Or full coverage warranty?

21. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was inquiring about the specs on th 12c.:D

Mike

22. Darkshear

Darkshear Karting

Mar 31, 2019
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Kalon Dillon
    Everything I have read here--everyone seems to agree the engine itself is extremely reliable. Everything else around it...iffy. The real big ticket items are obviously gearboxes, but Ferrari New Power doesn't cover leaks or electronics, so if you had a PTU seal go (non-internal failure) or if you needed a wiring harness, you'll stroke out from the bill. Not sure how FerrSure works with coverage, but if you can get a full warranty for a couple grand more than just power train, you may find it useful.

I have the New Power warranty because I read some not-so-nice things about FerrSure. I absolutely feel like I wasted $6k on it. Everything that has broken on my car since I bought the warranty wasn't covered. But I am not a particularly wealthy guy and cannot afford to self-insure on the major drive train components so I elected to buy the really limited and probably false sense of security.

Nospinzone likes this.
  23. ArabianOak

ArabianOak Karting

Jun 17, 2020
    Saint Charles, IL
    Full Name:
    Abraham
    ha! My bad! 2013 12c with full exhaust and tune. I also had it wrapped. Been a great car. Extremely fast but not very comfy and very quirky. Electronics have a mind of their own, couple of coolant leaks due to cheap clamps. A pain in the ass to get in and out of.

I’m also not a fan of plugging the car in every single day (battery tender). I’m hoping the Ferrari isn’t that way!

here’s pics...

energy88 likes this.
  24. ArabianOak

ArabianOak Karting

Jun 17, 2020
    Saint Charles, IL
    Full Name:
    Abraham
  25. Darkshear

Darkshear Karting

Mar 31, 2019
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Kalon Dillon
    If you don't drive it regularly--yes it absolutely is the same way lol. I DD my FF and I still put it on a CTEK 7002 at all times when parked.