How and why would Ferrari should do all electric | FerrariChat

How and why would Ferrari should do all electric

Discussion in 'Electric Ferraris' started by MalibuGuy, Jun 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Should Ferrari do an all electric?
    Certainly there is a market for such a car.
    (If there was a buyer for the Shooting break? Right?)

A Ferrari all-electric should distinguish itself with the most advanced innovations, fantastic design, and the unmistakable driving characteristics of a the prancing horse.

No sticky plastic buttons, no standard dull cheap trim, and instead carbon fiber inside and out as standard.

And Ferrari should exceed the acceleration of times of its ICE models. 0-60 in less than 2.2 seconds and 0-100 in less than 6.5 seconds.
    And boast a range of 350 miles.

This is all possible

(Too bad Ferrari didn’t participate in the Formula E series. They would have learned a lot)

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Why and gown, indeed!

:)

Matt

P.S. I can't even imagine what you meant to write, but I'd be happy to change it if you'd let me know.

kimpearsonusa likes this.
  3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I wouldn’t be caught dead in one.

4. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Haha!
    I was trying to write “Why and how Ferrari should do an all electric”

5. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    What about a Ferrari SUV with twenty cup holders?

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Got it!

Matt

7. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Thank you for your service!
    However, it appears that no one cares about an all electric Ferrari :)

Natkingcolebasket69 and Smiles like this.
  8. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    :eek: Please no. Hold out till all ICE are illegal.

Racer_X and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  9. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    All electric Ferrari, what would make that special?

Without a proper (combustion) drivetrain what makes it a Ferrari?

All experience and history, counts for nothing...

It would be a FINO (Ferrari In Name Only)...

The electric motor would be by some other company. Would not use Ferrari design.

The battery harness/inverters/etc would be by some other company. Would not use Ferrari design.

Maybe the frame and suspension would still be "by Ferrari" but would need to be more like that on a truck due to weight.

No transmission, at least not in the traditional sense.

It is apparent to me that any newcomer can make an "all electric car"

Rimac

Pininfarina

Coda

Dyson

Think

Qiantu

Aspark

NIO

Vanda

WHY is that? Because there is far less skill involved (or none at all if from a third party) in creating electric motors and battery+inverter.

Look at the list above, "anyone" with enough money can give it a go and actually come up with a car that they could sell (or are selling).

Also, a lot of those are going straight for the highest price they can set, why? Because there is not a market, just a trinket for those with deep pockets.

Also because most (excepting Lotus) have almost no ability to "mass produce", as for Lotus who could mass produce, they too are setting a super high price and very low production, again, no market.

So, I think Ferrari is wise to stay out of all electric (pushing it way out into the future), too bad they are trying to make hybrid work but that has a lot to do with regulatory pressure regarding emissions and sound.

10. Borrow’d Mine

Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
  11. Terrence

Terrence Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2004
    Hawaii/LA
    Full Name:
    Terrence
    Zero interest in a Ferrari Tesla.

12. Borrow’d Mine

Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    With a v12 NA, awd - any day over battery powered even if designed by Pinanfarina.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    No arguments there! I’ll take one with mid rear engine though!

14. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Ferrari would be much better than Tesla.

tes

15. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Ferrari may be forced to. They are not immune to regulatory legislation.

And do you not think that the younger generation will ask for an all electric.

Ferrari can do one much better than Tesla IMO. An all electric that has passion !

F1fletch likes this.
  16. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    Ferrari SUV or raised-up GTC4 in EV makes sense to me. Room big enough for 4 plus luggage.
    Sports car? Not yet, maybe give it a few more years

17. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Remember, Ferrari has already chosen to outsource its electric motor/battery/inverter design to 3rd parties, that would be the "heart and soul" of the vehicle, and none of it has anything to do with Ferrari's vast experience in combustion engines.

As for being forced to produce an EV, raw material says otherwise; There are significant capacity restraints on mining and manufacturing of EV batteries.

I doubt worldwide production will exceed 10m EV per year (all electric, not including hybrid), current projection indication annual EV battery production might reach 1,200GWh by 2028 and at 100kWh battery pack average size would be just about 12m cars worth, and it is a big "maybe" if that will occur at that time. Remember, there are other devices using large battery packs so likely fewer than 12m pure EV with that level of production.

And, there is question of buyers, pure EV does not work well for most of the population, making its usage moot. Think of persons living in apartments, living where there is no garage (street parking), think of the difficulties therein, no significant charging infrastructure not to mention length of time to charge, etc.

Given current annual worldwide car/light-truck production is near 90m, it becomes apparent that there is no way forward to force car manufacturers, especially small volume manufacturers to produce an EV.

And, an EV with a passion, I will believe it when I see it, after all, passion comes from connection and connection comes from involvement and there are no sounds, no involving emotions, no smells to a electric motor car, there is just point and shoot and that can become rather boring very quickly. And, again, Ferrari has no skill when it comes to electric vehicles as they outsource all of it.

ferrarifanatic25 and Randyslovis like this.
  18. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    if ferrari lets there v8 go and goes with 6 cyl and hybrids it will just keep the the gas v8 hold better value i personally not interested in a hybrid ferrari love the ford gt way out of my budget but being a v6 just doesnt set in right with me love the 05/06 gt

19. I think before Ferrari introduces an all electric drivetrain, they should first figure out the gremlins in their electronics in the interior of their cabin. Then they can worry about the stuff under the hood.

MANDALAY and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  20. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    My feelings exactly. No ICE, no interest.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

JTSE30 and Borrow’d Mine like this.
  21. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Haha!
    Ferrari loves complicated.

22. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I agree with you about the V8 over the V6.

if you want a V8 sports car, the SF 90 /spider is the only option.

Otherwise you will take a V6 or else go GT ie Portofino /aroma?

Miya a bit of a weird period. Perhaps the Portofino and Roma will go V6 hybrid as well.

23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I could give you many reasons why Ferrari shouldn't go full electric, the first one being their inability to produce a reliable car which they haven't yet managed to do even in ICE form.

24. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Way of the world but IMO all this EV is BS. Car only contribute about 3% to the carbon footprint. Sheeeet if in Australia we converted every car to EV the footprint would even be bigger !

The end of an era is coming unfortunately. When Ferrari goes 100% EV the company is gone from what it once was about.

Watch previous models go up when LB is introduced :(

Racer_X likes this.