Added a P-40 to my collection | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Added a P-40 to my collection

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by f4udriver, Jun 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Beautiful airplane, Mike. P-40's occupied a big chunk of my teenage years during the war since I lived near an airbase. To me, they have always been the epitome of a WW2 fighter. They simply look like it. I have mentioned it before about the strings of P-40's coming in over our home on Siesta Key and practicing strafing by shooting at the foam in the Gulf of the proceeding shooter and leaving a rain of empty links and brass in our yard and on our roof. We could feel the muzzle blast sometimes. Six cal. 50's are loud. I have a picture somewhere of the P-40N that was landed wheels-up when the lightened canopy collapsed on the head of the pilot and jammed his face into the instrument panel. He was talked down by another airplane flying along side.

A12pilot, Jacob Potts and Bisonte like this.
  2. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
  3. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    About the extension of the fuselage, here is a quote from that website:

" Efforts were being made to improve directional stability, which had been a constant problem with the type, and, starting with the P-40F-5-CU, the fuselage
    was extended by about two feet. Despite vehement opposition from the P-40's designer, Donovan Berlin, the longer fuselage became standard for all subsequent variants of the type, beginning with later production P-40Ks."

5. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    Molto Congrats! Just wonderful. I remember reading ‘God is My Co-Pilot’ at about that same age. I’m sure it was one of the subliminal building blocks contributing to my love of flying. I still remember the discussions of learning how to fight the Zero. (Don’t try and out-climb; dive...)

Jacob Potts likes this.
  6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Jacob Potts likes this.
  7. scott@mogc-kec.com

Feb 25, 2017
    Texas
    Full Name:
    E Scott Kimbrough
    Could you post a picture of your mustang. Love to see it

mikesufka likes this.
  8. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Gentlemen:

I can not express how much I enjoy the stories of vintage aircraft and your experiences during the war years.

My father in law (deceased) was a captain on General Patton's staff (3rd Army), and I was unable to get him to speak of his wartime experience for some 20 years. I was interested to know.

Near the end of his life -- late 80s, I finally was able to get him to speak of his WW II experience (as well as Korea -- he was G3). His memory was clear and vibrant. What I found was by educating myself of the engagements of the 3rd was the key to getting him to speak of his role in the unit's campaigns.

My wife told me that when the movie, "Patton", was released, she accompanied her Dad to see the film more than a 1/2 dozen times. He had a great respect for the general.

In one conversation, he told me that George C. Scott's portrayal of Patton was damn accurate (his words).

technom3 likes this.
  9. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    My hero. Wow. Good for you man!

10. u2driver

u2driver Rookie

Jan 22, 2018
    SoCal
    Incredible plane and collection. Congrats and really looking forward to seeing the progress!

11. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Your post brought back a cherished memory of my having met Robert T (or RT) Smith who was an original pilot of the famed Flying Tigers. I met RT several times circa 1987 thru 1989 when he was the owner / proprietor of “RT Smith” a business in downtown Los Angeles supplying parts for mechanical vintage wristwatches, clocks, etc. At that time fresh from being laid off from the oil drilling equipment industry, I established my own small business buying, repairing and selling vintage mechanical wristwatches so I used to visit his store and purchase parts from him.

The first few times I spoke to RT, he mentioned nothing about his amazing historical exploits but one morning when I was his only customer, I mentioned I was a student of WW2 aircraft he opened up about flying P-40’s for the Flying Tigers.

Thanks for bringing back those cherished memories via your post.

Oh BTW, the paint color scheme you selected is probably the best to show the Curtiss P-40 Tiger Shark. Cheers!

12. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Re famed WW2 aircraft, I’ve lived in Camarillo CA for 40 years and which is about 50 miles north of Los Angeles and 50 miles south of Santa Barbara. Our local Camarillo airport also used to be a USAF depot during WW2, but today it also houses a hangar for the Confederate (now Commemorative) Air Force.

So during every year’s Memorial Day or Independence Day, their pilots fly sorties in formation using a variety of WW2 fighters and bombers, including P-40, P-51, P-47, B-17, B-29, even a Luftwaffe ME-109 and a Focke-Wulf FW-190, a Mitsubishi A6M Zero or “Zeke”, and a Supermarine Spitfire; all painted in as-flown WW2 colors. When flying, the most distinctive and very different engine roar emanated from the Zero.

I’m happy to be able to enjoy the roar of their engines without having to dive into a foxhole or seek an air raid shelter! I guess that’s also why I thrill at the sound of my Ferrari’s V-12! :)

13. scott@mogc-kec.com

Feb 25, 2017
    Texas
    Full Name:
    E Scott Kimbrough
    My dad flew an SNJ in the war and was shot down by flack in the great Marianas turkey shoot. But my question is f4Udriver what is the spitfire like to fly. What I have read is the British loved that plane. How does it compare to the other US warplanes you have flown?

14. 4rextc

4rextc Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Madison, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Stratton Hicky
    My dad flew the P-39 and P-40 during the early part of WW II, before transitioning to P-51 and then P-47's. From what I recall him saying he liked the P-39 quite a bit, as well as the P-40. Have you flown a P-39? And, if so, you still prefer the P-40 as far as aircraft feel and handling?

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Don't give me a P-39, with engine mounted behind, she'll tumble and spin, and soon auger in, don't give me a P-39. Of course, there was also a version for all the other fighters you were not flying. The P-40's mentions ground looping.

Bob probably knows them all.

4rextc likes this.
  16. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    All makes and models was cancelled by the FAA a year or so after I got it. Basically once you got 3 LOA's Letters of Authorization, (but I just don't remember if that is what they were called at the time), you could apply for "All Makes and Models experimental aircraft" So the Mustang was first, Corsair was second and the Sea Fury was 3rd. Neal Anderson did my ck ride in the Sea Fury and signed me off for the all makes and models. He was one of the test pilots on the F-16, among many other accomplishments. He stayed at my house for 2 of us to get signed off and that was one of the neatest experiences of my life.

So instead of going through all of the hassle's to fly any experimental aircraft such as hiring an examiner etc. I just have to get a signature that I talked to someone who has flown one, then send off a form to get it added to my license. So far I have P-51, P-40, Corsair, T-28, Spitfire, Soko Galeb, and Sea Fury. There are many pilot's who have 10 or 20 on their licenses. There was also one for multi engine, but it was cancelled when I was working on my first.

I have been told that the FAA is bringing all makes and models back.

Boomhauer, Bisonte and mikesufka like this.
  17. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
  18. scott@mogc-kec.com

Feb 25, 2017
    Texas
    Full Name:
    E Scott Kimbrough
    I absolutely love the lines of the P51. Yours is a beautiful plane. Corsair is nice too. Thanks for the pictures.

19. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Beautiful pictures and planes ! Thank you.

MDS

20. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
  21. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    As you know that drawing is hanging just outside of my office.

And it is VERY well done

Bob Parks, rob lay and u2fast like this.
  22. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Berlin also designed the SB2C that also suffered from the short tail moment arm plus a big bunch of other handling problems. Naval air crews called it the "Sonova ***** 2nd Class". A high school buddy that was a gunner on one happened to meet me when we were one furlough and he told me that he feared that the SOB 2 C was going to get him killed. His fear was well founded and it came true six months later.

Tcar likes this.
  23. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The only one that I can remember at hand is, " Oh, that B-24. Oh, that ground loving whore...." Can't remember the rest. The box that the B-17 came in. The B two Dozen.

24. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks, very much! I should add that I had a flight in the airplane at the 50th anniversary of the B-17 before it went to live in your hangar. It wasn't long before I realized two things; the awesome power of the airplane, and the tentative handling by the pilot. I could sense that the airplane was a bit ahead of him especially when we formed up with the other airplanes in the fly by. I enjoyed it tremendously but there was a pucker factor with me in the tight confines of that rear seat position. The immediate responses to power changes in flight was a big surprise but the heat and lack of oxygen that engulfed the open cockpit when shutdown was being done had me gasping for air. So much heat, so much energy loss in the exhaust! It is still one of my greatest experiences, though. AND you can do this whenever you want !! Thanks again.

G. Pepper likes this.
  25. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Short tail moment was not the only problem the Helldiver had, I've heard... it was a mess.