Ideal Garage | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ideal Garage

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by SlowScud, Dec 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Currently have 4 fun cars, plus truck, wifes car and two kids cars, so thats 8 vehicles..
    Two, two car garage houses, one with bendpack(but still low ceilings so only low cars can be stored).. Plus I rent 2 underground garage spaces 2 miles from home.
    Wifes car gets a garage a space which leaves me 6 spaces spread out between 2 houses and underground garage.
    It means I have to think about what Ill be driving when, and in summer there is some car redeployment, plus getting a car on and off a lift means moving the car below setting up ramps etc. Ie its not just grab the keys and go. Some cars end up not getting used as often as the mood strikes purely because of location/logistics.

Idealy I'd build a 3 car garage with high ceilings for storage lifts.

Getting a gulia dd which means something else has to live outside or be sold. As I buy new and take care of my cars, something old like the chev equinox is stil, a very perfect viable vehicle to keep as a spare, but undriven living outside it would decline fast, so without space to keep it properly a perfectly good viable vehicle which I know Ill find use for at some point may have to go.

2. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
  3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
  4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I built the biggest possible structure on my property. It's a 26' x 24' (2 car) garage with a 10 foot ceiling 8 feet from my back porch. The drywall went in yesterday.

I have 200 amps of 220v that will serve 2-50 amp 220v car charging circuits, a 1.5 ton HVAC, a utility 30 amp 220v, a 30 amp 220v for the lift and a few 110v circuits, plus a wifi and a partridge in a pear tree.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

BT, MalcQV, Thecadster and 1 other person like this.
  5. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    My wife wanted to build a house a few years ago. I let her handle the living space.

Attached to it I did this with 1700 Sq ft.:

I plumbed in-floor heat. Plumbed in a whole garage vacuum system. Four floor drains. Electric outlets every few feet. Set up a electric panel for an electric car (thinking of the future). Wall mounted a TV and set it to a car channel. Added a lift, loads of tools, 30 can-lights that can be lit up in sections, whole garage wi-fi with multiple ceiling mounted speakers for yacht rock on satellite radio.

6. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Smartly constructed!
    8 car bay? How many total can you fit ?
    “TV set to a car channel...” LOLL
    Seating area?

Sent from my 16M

Michael B likes this.
  7. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thank you sir. You are too kind.

I have had 10 cars in there (its pretty deep) when I stack them tight. But commonly it houses 9.

The TV? I (like most of us) am a Car Guy so I watch anything car related while I tinker or buff a fender. The TV is rarely on, but when it is.... Cars.

Seating... Yes, I wanted a nice red couch. I have not done that yet but I want to! Maybe soon. These days I mostly sit on an office chair that I use when I read a manual or the lap top. Its working for now.

ShineKen, EastMemphis and G. Pepper like this.
  8. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    And most importantly.... what’s your handicap ?

Sent from my 16M

alum04org and Michael B like this.
  9. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I always say "my golf swing".

Living in FL I play 2-3 times per week and still can't get to single digits.

plastique999 and Michael B like this.
  10. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    That’s my goal as well...would love to be a single caller...I’m a 17 index. Lot of room to improve.
    Just played Streamsong a couple months ago...beautiful!

Sent from my 16M

11. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I never established a handicap. My objectives when I play are 85, one birdie, and nothing worse than bogey on the scorecard. I seldom achieve all 3 in the same round :(

alum04org and plastique999 like this.
  12. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    colombo2cam, BT, Ak Jim and 4 others like this.
  13. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
  14. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I have a lot of envy over here for some of you. We have a cluster of 4 spots, then two pair of 2 spots in other areas of the garage.

colombo2cam and Boomhauer like this.
  15. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    At least you’re not trying to cram an H1 in there. ;) Good to see you’re still keeping up with cars my old HML friend!

16. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I got that place in Colorado, BTW. Arrived Sunday. The garage is actually 1,125 SF. I'm currently cleaning out the wood he left, thinking I'd want it for a wood burning stove, but I want propane. The house is radiant heated through the slab with two zones, so I just set it so the house and the garage are the same temperature. It still averages 33 F for lows in mid June, and high sixties for highs.

17. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Silly car guy... Cars go in the garage....

Motorcycles go in the kitchen and living rooms

BMW.SauberF1Team and EastMemphis like this.
  18. c6vette

c6vette Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    St. Petersburg
    My kitchen and living rooms are on the second story...

19. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Got rid of all the scrap wood, so now I can pick up my Futura trailer. :)
    I have to go back to Texas to register the trailer, so I might as well pick up the 360. :D

Ak Jim, colombo2cam and JaguarXJ6 like this.
  20. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    is that a little rs replica back there?

21. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Good eye. This car was done up years & years ago. Well before RS 2.7's had the demand that they have gained (they have relaxed a bit in this covid economy). It is probably my favorite car to drive. 2100lbs, 225HP, pretty much everything done correctly to RS spec. Even the correct panels done to factory spec (including steel base ducktail). Went deep into the details (this photo is from 5 years ago, even more things have bene done to spec since). If I had to sell them all I would just have to find a way to keep that one.

zygomatic, colombo2cam and G. Pepper like this.
  22. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Finally have my driveway!

The driveway is about 15' - 35' wide and 60' long. A big piece of concrete, 3 full trucks worth. The guy who did the job, yes, it was one guy (except for the pour), spent several weeks just grading everything so that the drainage would be natural and never be saturated. The flow is down the center of the driveway. It took a level of care that is virtually unknown anymore to be so precise. He did it with a shovel, by hand. It actually looks to be flat until water starts to flow.

From the inside:

The transition from the driveway to the garage is only 1/2" and sloped. I should be able to easily hand push a car into the garage. Additionally, when pulling out, I'll just need a squirt of power to get the car rolling, then gravity will do the rest, all the way to the main road. Great for idle warm-up.

The building is 26'x24'x10'. The Clopay insulated doors are 9'x9' with LiftMaster 8500 side units and ceiling hugging hangers. It's wired and plumbed for a ductless HVAC system, yet to be procured and a Mohawk 10,000 lb. two post lift which may be here in a couple of weeks. Not getting a shipping date yet. It's wired for two 50 amp 220v lines for some future electric cars and 2 circuits of plug receptacles at 2' and 4' height every 8'. One utility 40 amp 220v line rounds out the power. The garage has way more power than my first house. 3 - 3" sch 40 conduit pipes are under the driveway in various places for the yet to be installed (by me) electric gate, and future expansion.

I really like the lights I found. They're flush mount (1") 2'x4' LED's. A bit more expensive than most but when the cost of the flush mount kit that's required for some others are added in, not that much.

Right at this moment, I'm leaning towards RaceDay Levant Peel & Stick 24" Tiles. I ordered a box of gray to see how they look. My second choice is DIY epoxy, again, gray.

My shop is to the right in the bottom picture. It's two bays of 22x17 with a dedicated HVAC unit and a bathroom. My wife calls them bedrooms. How silly.

I should be able to move the 360 into the garage in about two weeks.

Ak Jim and Thecadster like this.
  23. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Thecadster likes this.