Removing front shockers from a 550 | FerrariChat

Removing front shockers from a 550

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Earl of Cavendish, Mar 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Earl of Cavendish

May 22, 2013
    Victoria,Australia
    Full Name:
    James Earl
    I need to remove both front shock absorbers from a 550 and send them away for repairs,how do I do this ,what tools are needed and the car will be left without suspension for a period of 2-3 weeks is this doable?

2. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Shock removal Rear:
    Remove wheel
    Support suspension with a transmission jack or something similar.
    Undo two mount upper nuts (17 mm socket)
    Remove lower nut and bolt (19 mm socket) note washer orientation
    Lower suspension while supporting shock, reach up over shock and release actuator clip, remove actuator leaving actuator connected.
    Remove shock

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Front:
    From top, Remove actuator; undo four nuts on top mount
    From bottom
    Remove under tray
    Turn wheels fully one way, (slowly or power steering fluid will overflow)
    Remove wheel, support suspension
    Remove sway bar bushing brackets, let bar hang down
    Remove shock lower nut and bolt
    Lower suspension and remove shock

Mirek, white out, Qavion and 2 others like this.
  3. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I do it a bit differently for the front shock, I'm sure there is more than one way to do it. I don't remove the front undertray, but I guess it depends how you are supporting the vehicle, I use quickjacks. I don't touch the sway bar. I remove the actuator and the 4 13mm bolts on the top of the shock, then remove the bolt through the bottom of the shock connecting it to the lower control arm (19mm I believe), the shock will drop down, but I cannot get it out from in-between the upper and lower control arm, so I disconnect the upper control arm from the upper ball joint (2 13mm bolts), raise the upper control arm out of the way and pull the shock out.

4. Earl of Cavendish

May 22, 2013
    Victoria,Australia
    Full Name:
    James Earl
    Thanks to those who replied to my request,I found the solution of Avimax the best for my situation and they came out with a little jiggling,they are now about to be sent off for refurbishment.I used 3 jacks ,one in the centre of the 4 post hoist I have this lifts against the cross member under the sump and one on either side (small mechanical bottle jacks) using the front jacking points as I will be leaving the car as is until the parts return.

5. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I tried the Avimax method, but had to remove the swaybar from both lower control arms and rotate it out of the way to get enough clearance between the control arms to remove the shock.

This was on a 575M.