812 Bumpy Road Issue | FerrariChat

812 Bumpy Road Issue

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Benzov12, Jun 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Benzov12

Benzov12 Rookie

Jan 25, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #1 Benzov12, Jun 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    Just took delivery of a 2020 812 from Ferrari of Houston last week. Noticed right away that it rode much stiffer than my 2018 488 so I immediately engaged the bumpy road button. Unfortunately it made no difference in the ride.

Next day I brought it back to the dealer and the service managers response to me was the car needed to be broken in?! Now I don’t claim to be an expert in Ferrari suspensions, but I do know that if you push the bumpy road button it in theory changes the magnetic dampers so the ride is softer which should happen regardless if the car has 100 or 10,000 miles on it.

Another member told me it could just be a software refresh and things could operate normally again. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Would love to arm myself with some possible resolutions since I am anticipating the typical “we can’t seem to find anything and we show everything is operating correctly”

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Bumpy road button works fine on my 2020 812 delivered to my driveway on March 30 and I just came from the 2018 488 but the ride is better in both modes than my 488 IMO. I had the spider so maybe that matters? Anyway, I normally drive with magneride engaged because I like the ride better. If you are driving inside the loop then I don't even think my Range Rover rides that well so I don't see how the bumpy road mode would help there but it does help on normal streets.

Anyway, congrats on the new car and test some of the other features to take your mind off this minor issue.

Post some pics too please.

Benzov12 likes this.
  3. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Bumpy Road should work from 0 miles. If you are getting the message Bumpy Road on the binnacle display it should be working.

The difference can be quite subtle depending on your road surface and tyre temperatures/pressures so worth checking those.

of2worlds, sidewalk and Benzov12 like this.
  4. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I purchased a used ‘19 812 and it now has over 5,000 miles. The bumpy ride is nowhere as good as my old ‘17 488 Spider. I assumed it was due to the “higher” mileage.

Benzov12 likes this.
  5. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    As said above, the bumpy ride mode is not much different than sport mode in the 812, when the tyres are warm it make a big difference in both modes.
    I am hoping the GTS might be a little softer.

Benzov12 likes this.
  6. Benzov12

Benzov12 Rookie

Jan 25, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Mark
  7. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Nice colors.

Benzov12 likes this.
  8. Benzov12

Benzov12 Rookie

Jan 25, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Posted a couple of pics enjoy!

of2worlds and wrs like this.
  9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I notice very little difference with BR mode in my ‘19 812SF.

10. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Congratulations and welcome to the 812 club! There is not much softening feel with the bumpy road feature engaged. With my 488 GTB, there was quite a bit softening.

11. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    Congrats on the 812.... Mine is 2020 did not notice a big difference when using BR on my 812....its more obvious on my 488 GTB.... The 812 is an amazing car u will enjoy it w BR and without it.... Enjoy it in good health

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

12. Benzov12

Benzov12 Rookie

Jan 25, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I normally am not involved with forums but you guys def make it interesting and worthwhile. Unfortunately I don’t have any neighbors that have Ferrari’s or share my passion. Maybe I need to move...lol!

I do have a buddy that has an 812 and I am meeting up with him early next week. We are going to drive each other’s car to see the difference. He tells me his BR button makes a huge difference. His car is the same year and approximately same mileage as mine with stock wheels/suspension.

I know that many probably think I’m nuts but I paid dearly to own a 12 cylinder Ferrari and if a feature does not function properly I will be damned if I don’t pursue it.

Should be interesting and I will be sure to update you all.

13. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Well this is a strange thing. I guess I always engaged bumpy on the 488 Spider unless I was at the track because the regular mode exposed every bump in the road to my butt and I have full electric Daytona seats. I bought the Cali T HS for the magneride option and on that car the difference was very noticeable and as a result, I always punch the button on startup.

There are four button punches I make on startup in the garage.

1.) Auto off
    2. ) Reverse
    3. ) Bumpy road on
    4. ) HELE off

I always drive that way (not in reverse though) so I will have to test my non-bumpy road ride on the 812 to see if it's that different. To me, the 812 isn't stiffer than the 488 Spider was but then again, I am always in bumpy mode so maybe they all feel the same in bumpy road mode no matter the original suspension setup. The Cali T HS was very stiff but not as stiff as my 991tts which is why I liked the Cali T as a DD.

of2worlds and racerdj like this.
  14. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Same here and every time !

wrs likes this.
  15. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    ???? You live in Houston? Like 'Ferrari of Houston' Houston? There are 29(?) STATES that don't have a Ferrari dealership and you live in the same CITY that has one! :rolleyes:

16. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Check your tire pressures as they may be higher than factory spec and may make the ride overly stiff despite bumpy road setting

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

wrs likes this.
  17. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I’m
    With u on that! If u paid a lot and it’s not good they got fix it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Benzov12

Benzov12 Rookie

Jan 25, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Mark
    When I initially picked it up from the dealer the tire pressure was on average 38lbs. When I got home I played around with the pressure to get a better ride while keeping the pressure close to spec. I ended up with 30 front 28 back cold. Any more than that and the ride is stiff and the car feels skittish. After I brought it back to the dealer they told me I needed to break the car in and pumped the air back up to 38 front 34 back...rode like a covered wagon. Needless to say I’m back down to the pressure I started with and it bearable but not acceptable.

Anyone try Novitec springs? They made a huge difference in my 488.

19. Benzov12

Benzov12 Rookie

Jan 25, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Let me know if you feel a difference please.

20. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Take another (used) 812 from FoH for test drive and see if the ride feels different to yours in both modes.

The difference between BR on and off is around the margins. Takes the sharp edge off at slow speed (but you still feel the road), but is not a major difference in firmness of the ride (other than at speed when you get more compression coming out of fast corners when getting back on throttle).

Could be subjective — some tell me they find the ride uncomfortably firm. Others think it is a limo. I find it very compliant but tightly controlled.

of2worlds, Benzov12, sidewalk and 2 others like this.
  21. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    In my 2019, the difference is extremely subtle. I use it only occasionally to reduce vibration and road noise.

R J and Benzov12 like this.
  22. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    OK so I went out and tested this yesterday evening. What I notice is that the bumpy road mode helps a lot with road surface. We have these gravel and tar topped roads in our neighborhood. The gravel is a rough ride and bumpy road smooths it out. However, for things such as a manhole cover which isn't flush and ours aren't, bumpy road can't absorb all that so I tend to not notice any difference for that kind of bump. For the road surface and small bumps it helps but on really bumpy stuff it's not that helpful and even in my RR I can still feel some of the bumps on the roads around my home.

I think it will depend on the surface you test it on.

of2worlds, deltona and Thecadster like this.
  23. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I think it's very subjective. I like the ride of the car but it's not the same as the RR nor say what my M5 was and I am not looking for that. I like how the car handles even with BR engaged. I am getting much more comfortable being aggressive out of turns and letting the back end come around with power. Not a lot but some and just a little turn into the skid and the car is back on line quickly. Even if you aggressively punch it in 2nd going straight and the back end comes loose, it's still easy to bring it back in control. I am finding the car to be very manageable in the RACE setting.

I currently have 1100 miles on mine. That's setting up for about 5000 miles per year at this rate, maybe 6000, about like my 991tts and more than either the Cali T or the 488. I just find more places I can take this car than I did those other two.

I have found nothing to complain about with this car. It's delivering the value I paid for even though I probably paid too much but that's a Ferrari.

of2worlds and R J like this.
  24. Benzov12

Benzov12 Rookie

Jan 25, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Your description sounds like what it’s like driving my 488 with BR. My 812 doesn’t change with or without BR on any type of surface or pothole/bump. My wife says she thinks the ride is worse with BR in all conditions ‍♂️.

I’m test driving my buddy’s next Tuesday to put this to rest. I do appreciate you testing out the different scenarios maybe I can return the favor some day.

Thanks everyone for the input, the information has been very helpful and insightful.

wrs likes this.
  25. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    I have a Blu electrico dec19 delivert, did 2200km and I tested the bumpy mode like crazy in every road every situation , for my test I even tested the wet mode to see the feel of the road, I have come to conclusion that when I want to sit with my wife and an easy ride I have to be in wet mode and the suspension is very good for DD, but when I am alone I go sports/race with bumpy and it does help but I would say just 20 percent softer not more

Before I purchased the car, I watched Chris harris review many times about 812 and he said that 812 is a bit busy the ride, however what we get is really sharp stable and solid chassis in my opinion and in wet mode you can still get 600hp and soft ride when you need

great discussion guys!

of2worlds, Benzov12 and wrs like this.