Pista Spider body flex? | FerrariChat

Pista Spider body flex?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by BarryK, Jun 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I collected my Pista Spider last weekend, and have have enjoyed two drives so far. One question. The body flex over slightly bumpy roads seems very noticeable, almost as much as my old 430 spider. The car's build quality seems otherwise quite good, so a bit surprised. I wonder if others have experienced the same issue?

2. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    I can feel the chassis flex over uneven roads for sure. It’s not carbon tub. Pretty much the same as 458S and 488S.

I think 430S being soft top, it doesn’t have the hard top squeeze noise that’s why giving you that impression.

VHlambo580 and daflk like this.
  3. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    You can really feel the flex when trying to open or close the roof in uneven ground (not recommended) or going on uneven roads with top up and actually hear the compression. I have a 458S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    488 series is a noticeable improvement in flex over 458. I’ve owned both.
    but a huge huge gap behind mclaren and Lambo.

montpellier and boobernackle like this.
  5. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    yes, its bad. I have owned a Lambo AV Roadster, no flex. A Alfa 4c spider, no flex. Also a 458 Spider, flex. Ferrari needs to level up fast.

daflk, IloveGT and boobernackle like this.
  6. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    458s has mad flex. Go over a speed bump at low speed.

daflk and boobernackle like this.
  7. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    And i just bought my second one, even as bad as it is.

cole328 likes this.
  8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Can you feel it slightly twist as each wheel ascends/descends the bump?

9. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Thanks for the replies, as I was thinking something may be wrong with just my car. What you say makes good sense @lamborarri as the flexing noises are also coming from the hardtop well area and not just scuttle shake. I haven't owned a retractable hard top before, so this is new. @Solid State, yes, when only one corner mounts a bump it feels particularly unpleasant. I ended up driving around some of them. Much better when both wheels go over at the same time.

@09Scuderia, I agree, and none of my open series-production Porsches have carbon chassis and still there's almost no flex.

10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #10 Shadowfax, Jun 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    As I keep saying, Ferrari is a LONG way back in some very basic and rather key areas. Doesn't mean it isn't a good car in a lot of ways but it should not be this far back and especially at such a ridiculously high price point. It isn't so much the obvious flaw of the poor torsional rigidity - I'm more just blown away with how they've been getting away with it unchecked for so long. I can only put it down to the buyers protecting the marque so vigorously as they do instead of speaking up loud enough in numbers demanding better for the money. It's a head spinner. And they keep dishing up the same BS seemingly without any form of impunity least of all motivation to come up to today's minimum standards.

daflk, Randyslovis and 09Scuderia like this.
  11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    ... hopefully no personal offense here, but that's why I hate open top cars - and think they're total nonsense when it comes to cars with claimed track purpose.

SoCal to az and REALZEUS like this.
  12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Its funny that when McLarens carbon tub has been brought up in the past it was dismissed and many people here said there was a limited benefit if any.

Also, dont buy a convertible sports car and expect to perform like a coupe - the Mac might be the exception.

technom3 likes this.
  13. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    488 Spiders have an intense amount of flex. This is why I'll never go back to a Spider, unless it has a carbon chassis.

While driving over minor bumps, look at the back of your Ferrari using the rear view mirror and you'll see how bad the flex is. Really cheapens the experience... Cali T was even worse than 488S.

The chassis flex was the main reason for turning down 812 GTS and Pista Spider.

14. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    i had hoped 10 years since my 430 spider had moved the game on, but it seems the answer is different.

15. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    carbon tub is not even that expensive. My new alfa 4c spider is only 84k, and it has a carbon tub, hand made like mcl. Never had a carbon tub, but i now know what I have been missing.

SoCal to az and Gh21631 like this.
  16. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    to be fair though, it did have moved on except certain thing. By the way, wait till you find out the 7 year annual service. Then you won't complain about the flex anymore.

Ash Patel likes this.
  17. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    Just to confirm and repeat what others have said; the only open car I have ever owned that had acceptable torsional rigidity is McLaren. Even my Carrera GT had a bit of flex, but it was minor in comparison to others. I think a lot of owners simply don't care or don't notice it...it drives me crazy and I haven't owned an open car for a decade.

LVP488 likes this.
  18. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The only open top cars that feel rigid is the Huracan and the McLaren. Every Porsche Cabrio not only compromised rigidity, the cacophony of rattles, creaks and resonances were extremely irritating. Spider track focused cars are oxymorons.

FordGTDriver and LVP488 like this.
  19. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    675LT spider. Problem solved:) I also have a 430 spider and compared to the McLaren, flex wise it’s beyond night and day.

20. stan996turbo

Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I’ve had my 675 Spider on the track and it’s solid as a rock and a mean MF.

Thecadster likes this.
  21. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    After I get my F8 my next car will be adding a 720 S spider. Top down with a carbon tub!

22. stan996turbo

Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Drive the 675 first.

Attached Files:

IloveGT likes this.
  23. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    What is wrong with a little bit of flex of going over a speed bump? If you otherwise love the car, who cares?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

pcht5 and wrs like this.
  24. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    Other open cars which don't seem to suffer from flex are Porsche Boxsters and especially 981/718 versions..These are the only open cars on the planet where they feel as rigid as their coupe versions without adding an extra pound in weight..Brilliantly engineered cars IMO,

daflk likes this.
  25. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I agree on the Boxster. The only Porsche that felt as tight as the Cayman and no rattles .