1987 TR: Custom Fabricated Exhaust, Art | FerrariChat

1987 TR: Custom Fabricated Exhaust, Art

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by xplodee, Jun 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Hey All-

Check out the in-process pics of the custom exhaust being fabricated for my TR. This thing is going to be incredible. You'll understand the routing as it unfolds. Equal length mid-pipes into a CNC SS knife edged merge pipe then it will split with two pipes directly to the tips and two pipes into a muffler then to the tips. This is his second time doing this. The first one is on the beautiful black '87 at Copart right now that was destroyed back Thanksgiving of 2019.

He plans on offering this installation as regular service for anyone wanting one, and can customize it to suit as it's all hand made one part at a time. I simply cannot wait to see and hear it in person. The CNC work is incredible and the welds are beyond belief.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    after the big hole at the rear, how is it going on?

3. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    ChipG and ferralc like this.
  4. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    how hot is the transfer case gonna get?

5. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
  6. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I love it!

xplodee likes this.
  7. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Natkingcolebasket69 and xplodee like this.
  8. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hey TIm,
    What muffler will he use? I am curious, how are the internals of the muffler?

Natkingcolebasket69 and xplodee like this.
  9. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    not sure. Also not sure if he’ll disclose the brand once its on but i could be wrong. Will keep the thread updated! Should have more pics tonight.

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I wonder a little: 2 pipes going out of the muffler left and right and the other 2 before the muffler left and right. so seem to be very loud then ;)

xplodee likes this.
  11. ExtraTx

ExtraTx Rookie

Jan 25, 2019
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Looks really good. Once my engine is back in (soon) I'll be making my own custom exhaust as well. Not a huge fan of the 12 into 4 into 1 collector but I'm sure it works great. Regarding the muffled vs unmuffled pipes, it appears the unmuffled are angled away from the direction of flow. Low RPM these will probably be sucking air in if anything, then once RPM builds and pressure in the muffler builds they will then emit exhaust and get louder. Like a valved system without a valve. Check out how the new Civic SI does their exhaust with the 3 tips. Pretty interesting method.

Muffler appears to be a Vibrant 1 in 2 out. I've put vibrant mufflers on a few vehicles now and I've been happy with their quality and sound. In fact I have that exact muffler on a track car (smaller diameter pipes) and it sounds great without being too loud. Vibrant has an extensive catalog of exhaust fabrication products.

https://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/index.php

12. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    How is the drone with the Vibrant muffler?

13. ExtraTx

ExtraTx Rookie

Jan 25, 2019
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I would have no issues putting a Vibrant muffler on my Testarossa. Very little drone, probably none on the TR since it has so many cylinders. I have one on a 4cyl Lotus Esprit, 3" turbo back on a Bentley Turbo R with 3" Vibrant muffler and 3" resonator (still get a little drone with it, but it turns very low RPM, idles at 580), and that exact muffler on an MR2 spyder track car with a 2zz swap thats fully stripped, so its loud anyway.

For my build I'm probably going with Titanium mufflers from Ticon. Titanium has such a great scream to it, absorbs some of the lower hz tones.

xplodee likes this.
  14. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Feast your eyes and ears on THIS

ridege55, V4NG0, Veedub00 and 2 others like this.
  15. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    :D Sounds great! Enjoy it Tim!

xplodee likes this.
  16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    nice sound :)

xplodee likes this.
  17. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I like the second gear tire chirp!

xplodee likes this.
  18. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Veedub00 likes this.
  19. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #20 xplodee, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Its back home after a 200 mile drive and cruising (flogging?) back home on my known backroads.

all I can say is this: all other systems (aside from maybe the kreissieg, maybe?) do not sound refined to me the way this one does. Below 4.5k its very normal, throaty but still tuned sounding, but once you pass that 4-5k region while at full throttle, it transitions to an absolute banshee wail that can be heard from far away. If you ride around town at part throttle it is not even loud, at all. At highway speeds it is just as quiet as the stock system until you go to wide open throttle. The way Brandon has created the system is reminiscent of having valves, but instead of failure prone vacuum or electric systems, you just use your right foot to control the noise.

Its utterly incredible. And he builds to suit, want cats? I’m sure he can install them for you. Want it quieter? He has a way to baffle it further. He is an amazing artist and has created a one of a kind solution to our cars for drastically less money than capristo, kreissieg or the like. I’m not at liberty to discuss prices as thats for him to do, but I would say don’t waste your money elsewhere.

Since yesterday I now look at my car differently. It went from a cool 80s icon with some dated performance aspects, to a full on supercar apologizing for nothing except for perhaps only having 380ponies. The sound is intoxicating and suits the car perfectly. Muscle at bottom, f1 at top.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 4101210

Attached Files:

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  20. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Video, you can year the wide open throttle from quite a bit of distance.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  21. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Sorry.. My opinion she sounds muffled. She can sound much better. Lot a work for nothing. Sounds like sh*t. Sorry

R

22. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Lol. Right

23. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

It sounds fantastic to me, not sure what your video shows though? I guess u are being sarcastic;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    sounds like a former formula 1 car warm up :)