How much can I spend on an F12tdf? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

How much can I spend on an F12tdf?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by italiafan, Jun 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

How much money in liquid assets should I have to go for it! In USD $$$

1. > 1M

7 vote(s)
    7.8%
  2. > 2M

7 vote(s)
    7.8%
  3. > 5M

22 vote(s)
    24.4%
  4. >10M

29 vote(s)
    32.2%
  5. > 20M

12 vote(s)
    13.3%
  6. > 30M

6 vote(s)
    6.7%
  7. > 50M

7 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    To me the primary factor is depreciation.
    A TDF at double the price makes more sence than an 812.
    The TDF will still depreciate but not as badly.
    I said 5M.
    If depreciation not a priority 10M.

2. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Bang on!

3. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    10-20% of liquid net worth (total spent on cars, not single car) if you’re between say 7.5M and 20M. Above that it doesn’t really matter as much and could easily go with a higher percentage, provided you don’t have big expenses like vacation homes, private schools, etc still on radar

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    7 in cars, 7 in houses, and 7 in investments wld work nicely!

LARRYH and uhn2000 like this.
  5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I thought there would be a higher % answering 20M and above.

6. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    $20M liquid, truly unencumbered assets? That’s a crap ton of dough. Most people put as much money to work as possible, right? Business owners can accomplish triple digit IRR’s. Why run $20M liquid outside your business?

Andynyc likes this.
  7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    By “liquid” I meant invested in broadly diversified accounts, stocks and bonds, etc., not tied up in illiquid investments (like the family farm).

ZF123 and Thecadster like this.
  8. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Post that on a website full of rich wood carving folks or bird spotters and you would probably get those numbers. But your target audience here is heavily biased and want you to post pics when you get it

uhn2000 and Thecadster like this.
  9. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    ...is it here yet...:D

mikesufka and Eilig like this.
  10. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    You guys are killin’ me. :D

mikesufka and Eilig like this.
  11. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    So is that a yes :)

12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    No qualifier for age or health? What if you were over 65 do you still need $20M to get the car of your dreams? How about 45 yrs old with heart disease? Anyone seriously thinking about an F12Tdf probably can afford it. You'll lose much more on any new Ferrari so its not that hard of a decision.

LVP488 and italiafan like this.
  13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    God knows...my 812 has probably already depreciated more in the last 2 months of driving (3K miles) than a garaged F12tdf would have....but I love to drive.
    Funny thing I was hoping this poll and thread would have highlighted to me my foolishness even thinking about it but you bastards are talking me into it! :D

stavura, C50, Solid State and 3 others like this.
  14. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    Agree with your points. If older or unhealthy totally agree.

15. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    I voted $10M ( stocks & bonds )

What color are you looking for ? ;)

MDS

16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Triple yellow....:)

Thecadster and mikesufka like this.
  17. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Will be fun watching this unfold ... good luck fine Sir.

MDS

Thecadster likes this.
  18. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    This is a great thread. Now you got me looking at McLaren Senna’s...what the.....?

ZF123 and plastique999 like this.
  19. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Wrong forum to ask on - and you knew that :). With interest rates so low and the TDF holding up pretty well its not even a discussion. In my Geo cars (488's Huracan's, 720S's etc) are moving "at the right price". People need/want relief from the current chaos and when u get to 50+ you choose to "live" or "exist" IMO. Nothing new here :)

LARRYH likes this.
  20. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Dear Stickbones, you're on the number one Ferrari fan & owners forum of the world, not on Scrooge McDuck Fan's page ! What did you expect ?

We won't play the moderating wife traditional role.

In the name of the Ferrari community, buy it and drive THE F.U.C.K out of it.

"Nobody ever saw a coffin with a safe attached to it"

21. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    " When was the last time you saw a hearse pulling a U-Haul trailer? "

4_Eff_Sake likes this.
  22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    The personality that increases chances for financial success often can be a double-edged sword when it comes to spending money on toys.
    I am very conservative with money, and wrestle with these inner debates all the time.
    I also adore the 458 SA and came across the most beautiful spec ever, for sale here on FChat. A large part of its price premium is that it still has basically delivery miles. Therefore, if I love to drive I am the one who will be paying for the “new” car. And thus for me one with 5-10K miles on it is a better all around option. The same applies to an F12tdf. If I am going to drive the **** out of it I’d like to find a well-cared for example with many miles on it rather than pay the “collector car” premium.
    Furthermore, I don’t buy into all the “doom and gloom hysteria” that so often is found on the internet regarding global markets and politics. But these markets are seemingly nuts to me right now. I’d be irritated with myself to pay a premium and 12-18 months from now find my investments down massively and see real bargains out there on exotic cars.
    The other “problem” I have is I have a nice complementary stable of car’s right now, I love each one of them for what they do differently, and can’t see selling any of them...and my garage is bursting at the seems.
    I was actually kind of hoping this thread and poll would highlight my folly, but it appears to be doing the opposite. :)
    I fantasize that if I could only have 2 Ferrari’s in my garage they would be an F12tdf and a 458SA, and have the courage to drive each like a “regular” F12 and 458 Spider.
    Perhaps it will evolve to that over the years because the new cars coming do nothing for me (except maybe, just maybe the F8 Spider with a Novitec exhaust).

ZF123 and Thecadster like this.
  23. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I call it miles for smiles and if you buy right you just might be able to enjoy the car and you never know it might not deprecate as much as you think. I too want a TDF and would consider replacing my 812 and Speciale for it; but it’s an interesting premium predicament especially when you like to drive them. My theory is to think of some of these cars as lifelong keepers and the hell with what they are worth when I can’t drive them anymore. You hope to have enough money not to care or have enjoyed them enough (soul filling) to part with them in peace.

of2worlds, italiafan and Bundy like this.
  24. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    Problem is so many of the best cars are very mileage sensitive: F12 TDF, F50, Enzo, 288 GTO, etc. Once you go back to the 60’s and 70’s some are not as mileage sensitive like the 275 GTB. That’s why I’m waiting until I don’t care if I burn the $ enjoying those top end cars before I consider buying.

If we all had a pact to actually drive our cars the values wouldn’t be as mileage sensitive, but given there’s too many collectors that don’t drive them I don’t see it happening!

25. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Cars aren't meant to be stationary for years on end. Engine and chassis components need to move/rotate, lubricate and go through thermal cycles. A dealer once told me it's the very low mileage cars which are often the most problematic. I believe him.

stavura, uhn2000 and Bundy like this.