California 30 Front spoiler remove / replace | FerrariChat

California 30 Front spoiler remove / replace

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Bill Phillips, May 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I have a carbon fiber spoiler to replace the plain black one on my 2013 Cali-30. Has anyone removed and replaced the front spoiler (or had it done)? As you can see in my photos there are 6 threaded inserts on the upper surface which allow it to be bolted in place from above. The problem is access to those bolts. I have removed the forward section of the under tray but the bolts are still hidden and seemingly unreachable somewhere in front of the bumper brace. Removing the front grille might get me there but there is still the plastic duct work across the front which also appears to be in the way of removing the grille. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #2 Bill Phillips, May 28, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
    UPDATE:

Ok, the answer is you have to remove the front bumper, that is the outer painted nose section which contains the grille. I was hesitant at first but as I proceeded it was actually pretty straightforward. Here are the steps and pictures if anyone needs to do it in the future.

First jack the front end on both sides and remove the wheels. Then remove the front half only of the wheel well skirts. These are held in place with four Torx screws and two push plugs.

Next remove the forward section of the black plastic under tray, held in place by nine 10mm bolts. You’ll have to remove the front two rows of bolts of the main under tray as well and let the front edge droop, because the rear edge of the front tray slides under it.

Now you have access to the upper and lower bolts that hold the nose in place. They are all Torx head, three under each side and seven up top. The pictures of the wheel well area show the bolts in the upper part of the picture facing straight up. To get to the upper ones, open the hood and remove the section of weather stripping along the very front edge. It is held down with double sided tape or stick-um and will pull up easily, exposing the seven Torx bolts. The picture shows the rubber strip laying across the engine compartment and the exposed bolts.

There are several wiring harnesses attached to the nose section, one on each side just inside of the rear edge, for the reflector lights, and one more on the left side next to the grille, for the parking sensors, if installed. I always have trouble with the various types of disconnect plugs, and I could get the two for the lights but not the third one by the grille. I worked around that by lowering the nose and rotating it downward, leaving the last wires connected. When all the bolts have been removed, the nose will slide forward and off. Have something for it to rest on to prevent scratching it. I used two chaise lounge cushions, being careful not to put tension on that third wiring harness.

Once the nose is off a long block of hard foam, a vibration control panel, must be removed to finally access the six bolts that hold the spoiler in place. It is attached with double sided tape or stick-um, and must be pried off, exposing those six bolts.

One other note. You can see in the side-by-side picture of the old and new spoiler, one has male attach points and the other female. I had the same thing happen with a Corvette rear spoiler years ago. I just need to get the correct bolts at the hardware store.

I had trouble loading the pictures in order but it’s easy to match each one to each step above.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. John Geiger

John Geiger Rookie

Aug 8, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    John Geiger
    Excellent write up. Do you know what size bolts you got to fit the new spoiler?

4. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    No, I forgot to make a note of it, but they were a standard size and thread pitch. I actually took the spoiler to my local ACE hardware store and found just what I needed.