Exhaust install and rear bumper removal tips | FerrariChat

Exhaust install and rear bumper removal tips

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Mafiaboy1975, Jun 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Ok so here are hopefully some helpful tips if you change out your rear mufflers.

You can change the mufflers by just removing the rear wheels and the lower back wheel arch covers.

Loosen the hangers on the stock exhaust. Both sides of the muffler slide it out and then remove the hangers.... fit new pipes.

Then if you are installing a valve remote I’m sorry to say rear bumper off.

Again easy just takes time.

Loosen screws at the top of wheel arch where the bumper fastens to the fender.
    Underneath loosen all screws along the defuser ... Hex and nuts. Pretty easy to spot what you need to do. Then open the boot and take the rubber loose along bottom of the sill remove the tool kit box and remove the centre plastic cover that protects the block lock clip. There are covers with screws here. 2 press clips on the inside and 2 clips under the plastic cover.

Now jimmy the side covers loose enough to bend them open to get to the inner bumper bolts. Two silver 10 nuts each side about 10cm apart. You cannot miss them.

Your bumper is now loose... if you have a dab antenna you need to loosen the wire first it on the left just under where the bumper and fender meet. Shine a light in and clip it loose else you will tear the antenna sticker inside the bumper.

Pull the bumper loose from clips and presto she comes off. Now you can install your exhaust remote you will see the solenoids left and right of the centre just under the centre bumper carrier.

I ran the wire to the right and found a grommet by the tool box which I slit and took the wires through and stored the remote near the amp.

Once done put it all back together. Get a beer and relax knowing tomorrow you going for a ride with new pipes and remote.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

whatheheck likes this.
  2. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Which model are you talking about?

On the Portofino,the bumper cover has to come off to change mufflers. On the other hand,it is possible to install a remote without removing anything.

3. Mafiaboy1975

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    on the California T

4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Great info.

You have photos for sharing on exhaust and valve remote installation?

Thanks for sharing Mickey!

Dan

5. Mafiaboy1975

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    #5 Mafiaboy1975, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    Sorry Dan unfortunately not. My daughter broke her iPhone and it’s in for a new screen so mine got apprehended while I was working on the car for her Instagram ...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

whatheheck likes this.
  6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Hi Mick
    Do you remember if by doing the wheel off and taking of the lower back wheel arch covers you can get at the valve exhaust to remove the pipe to make the valves open all the time?

7. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Go to YouTube or Fabspeed for a video showing muffler changes. You shouldn't have any problem reaching the valves.

8. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    To unplug the exhaust valves - easiest method is to remove all the bolts attaching the rear diffuser to the car.
    The rear diffuser will still be attached to the car as removing it requires bumper removal.

Now go to the forward most lip of the rear diffuser and pull the panel down.
    To the left and right side you will see the exhaust valves and its blue vacuum lines attached to the valve.
    Pull down the vacuum lines and use a screw to plug up the vacuum hoses.
    Do this for each side and you are done.

Note, I did this to my 2016 Cali T already and after driving for 3 hours I plugged the hoses back in as I didnt like the sound.
    The exhaust is super loud at initial start up and the loud noise gets old quickly cruising in the freeway.
    But that's me, to each his own.

Just sharing my experience.

Dan

9. Mafiaboy1975

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    You can actually manoeuvre your hand in behind the wheel by the suspension and get to the vacuum lines and pull them off . If you look through the defuser gap you can see where to go and then just lie on you back and work blind and feel your way around, I did that and it was easy to get to the lines loose originally,

I then just pulled them towards the gap by the suspension and plugged the lines with screws.

Remember to take to off at the exhaust side :) not on the vacuum line side.

Here are pic of the two areas you can use.

Attached Files:

whatheheck likes this.
  10. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #10 Wheels1, Jun 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    Thanks for the info, I could not figure out how to remove the rear diffuser with removing loads of bolts, so I put the car on ramps, just managed to get my hand in behind the wheel as above and fixed a clamp on the hose, that way the exhaust end of the pipe is still clean which would have been impossible to get to, to blank up. To be honest it was a very tight squeeze and I only just manged to do it. I would have been far better off taking the wheel off and not using the ramps. So far I think the sound is much better, I did the same process on my 599 years ago.
    The green in the photo with my hand is the floor and my fingers are in the hole where you can find the vac. pipe.
    The clamps are
    Sealey VS037 2pc Hose Pinch Tool Set from Amazon
    Here are some pics
    Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 2960603 Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

whatheheck and Mafiaboy1975 like this.
  11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for sharing info.

12. SRGN

SRGN Rookie

Apr 26, 2020
    Full Name:
    Steve Lising
    Thanks Wheels1, it worked a treat! I actually managed to squeeze my little asian hands in through the openings from the rear to get to the vacuum hose. The pinch tool is a great idea too - totally reversible and easy to use in a tight space. Sealy brand ones aren't available in Australia so I used these:
    ToolPRO Hose Clamp Small, 2 Pack