599 airbag assistance | FerrariChat

599 airbag assistance

Discussion in '612/599' started by Ducati348, Jun 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ducati348

Ducati348 Karting

May 15, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Alex Scroppo
    I posted this request in the technical section with no response so I thought I’d give it a go in the 599 section too:

I have a 2011 599 GTB HGTE with an the airbag failure light just illuminated. I plugged in my Foxwell scanner and determined the failure is DTC first stage front passenger side airbag. I went into the live diagnostics and looked at the resistance of all the airbag systems. The front passenger side airbag had a higher resistance than the others. The resistance read 4.5 ohms compared to the other airbags which read 2.5 ohms to 3.0 ohms. I had recently replaced the window regulator in the passenger side so I disassembled the door panel again and checked all of the connections to the airbag and door. In addition, I cleaned the circular connector between the inner and outer door too (there was a little corrosion on the pins that I cleaned off with contact cleaner). After all of this was done, I rescanned the airbag system again and the same fault shows up with the same 4.5 ohm resistance. There is definitely a resistance issue because the scanner will not allow the code to be cleared. I took some screen shots of the readings on my scanner. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to get this problem resolved and the airbag failure light to clear?

Thanks,

Alex Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Only other thing I can think of is damage to the bundle of wires going to the door loom. Could be some cumulative fatigue damage, and maybe you disturbed something when you unplugged the connector?

Damage to door/boot wiring is quite common where the wires twist or flex repeatedly.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Skidkid likes this.
  3. gsholz

gsholz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Surprised that it would pick up the change from 3 Ohms to 4.5 Ohms. I'd check all airbag connectors going back to the airbag control module. It could also be that the control voltage the airbag ECM uses to check resistance is off for the passenger airbag. I'd also measure the resistance with a quality DVM to check the ECM measured values.

4. Ducati348

Ducati348 Karting

May 15, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Alex Scroppo
    Thanks for the guidance. I traced the problem to the passenger airbag connection. I cleaned the contacts and the resistance dropped to 3 ohms. I reset the airbag light and all is well again. I HIGHLY recommend if you work in your 599 you purchase a Foxwell NT530 diagnostic tool. The best $169 you can spend. Clears all the error codes (Airbag too) and works great on our cars.

Cheers,

Alex

brogenville, Rex71 and Makuono like this.
  5. HK Mondial

HK Mondial Karting

Mar 12, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mark M.
    Which airbag connection ? Where was it located ? Thanks