F12 sudden brake lock, ACCIDENT | FerrariChat

F12 sudden brake lock, ACCIDENT

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by SL%%, Jun 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SL%%

SL%% Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2008
    Texas Forever likes this.
  2. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Goddam that is absolutely nightmarish !!! I'm glad you're safe

That should never happen, I hope you'll find out the exact cause of this

obertRo and 4rextc like this.
  3. SL%%

SL%% Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2008
    Tell me about it, its unheard off, there was no error or anything ahead of time. simply, cruising, then there, it stopped just like that. it drifted then there, bang, rail guard...

At the pictures, the caliper is still biting the carbon disc....

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    what are the pictures of the brakes intended to show?
    does the car roll in neutral, or are the wheels still locked?

5. gsholz

gsholz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    It can happen when stepping on the throttle in wet conditions. In all newer cars, the stability control computer will brake some wheels to avoid spin outs. At 60 mph things can get interesting fast.

6. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Were you in the car at the time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Ferro458

Ferro458 Karting

May 26, 2014
    This is totally unheard of and never reported before, as far as I know. Makes me paranoid to drive my F12 in 'wet'.

8. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    All wheels locked up or just one (side)??

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Racer_X likes this.
  9. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    So I'll be the first to say what most are thinking....60 mph in a 700+ hp rear wheel drive car on a wet road and into the guardrail....gotta be the car :rolleyes:

10. GeeDubb

GeeDubb Rookie

Jan 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Glen Williams
    Agreed, never heard of it, Never experienced it, and also consider it highly unlikley. Pity about the vehicle though

11. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    when I see posts like this my first thought is: CYA documentation for dad

jag-oo-r likes this.
  12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    New systems screw up but driver blamed. If lucky it is in the last 10sec of data recording. Friend had this happen when hus bmw autobraked making a left in a 2 left lane road. Fast closing second car racing to make light appears on his right lane turns left each driver in own lane. Despite bmw left steering angle and constant speed the bmw saw the other car on right and auto slammed brakes.

Thecadster likes this.
  13. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    There is a whole science on confusing automated systems. I forget the name of it. Start searching around. Trying to pick out A stop sign is much harder than you think

14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    He didn't say what year it was. Most or all do not have it I think. Same with HELE.

15. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Even if the electronics make an unwanted decision to brake, the ABS should prevent the wheels to lock - so the system has to be completely screwed up to get into such situation.
    The issue with the pseudo intelligent software introduced on cars (for driver aids, autonomous driving and so on) is that it's as complex and for whatever reason is very far away from the enforced quality standards for trains or aircrafts (although experience has shown even for these there could be serious problems).

Panthro and colonels like this.
  16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    my mom has a newer Lincoln SUV, she had the brake pedal go to the floor, luckily no accident. dealer denied and denied, she's 80 years old and they actually shamed her she did something wrong. In 30 seconds I found reports and documentation online about the problem with booster.

17. Leon Redensky

Leon Redensky Rookie

Jul 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nototrader
    I had a scary moment with my Tesla a few months ago when the car literally slammed on the brakes on a side street with nothing in front of me. Scared the crap out of me. Definitely would have been hit in the back of somebody was behind me.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Texas Forever likes this.
  18. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I too recently had a super scary moment when my six months old 2020 AMG GLC 63S suddenly and for zero reason brake locked and came to a total stop (I was brutally flying into the seat belt). I had no chance to do anything, it happened so quickly. And there was no object or anything else on the road, and no other car. And fortunately nobody behind me. I was just driving approx 45 miles/h. Nothing happened.
    But all these super engineers tell us about the great nannies and new functions and the Mercedes cameras and radars are not even able to properly identify speed signals?? .......at least 50% or more are totally wrong. And all these super clever guys talk about autonomous driving? What a total nonsense. Total b.s.

Marcel Massini

Panthro, LARRYH, wbklink and 12 others like this.
  19. gsholz

gsholz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Even good old-fashioned ABS can get you into a heap of trouble. We were crawling down a steep icy road with a couple of tight curves. Half-way down the ABS decides to release the brakes and we were off to the races. The car sped up to 40 mph while standing on the brake pedal. We barely missed the guardrail on the bottom of the hill. A fried was not so lucky. He hit a curb at speed as the ABS would not allow lock-up. Took out his entire front suspension, bearings and wheels. Sometimes it is preferable to lock up the wheels and slide vs. building up a lot of momentum. But you do not get a choice with ABS.

20. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    or just a matter of time

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/15/20805994/ups-self-driving-trucks-autonomous-delivery-tusimple

https://www.cat.com/en_US/articles/customer-stories/built-for-it/thefutureisnow-driverless.html

https://www.dcvelocity.com/articles/44254-driverless-forklifts-are-now-a-thing

Granted, these aren't full Level5 autonomy (go anywhere) cars, but they are examples of autonomous vehicles already operating today. I wouldn't write this work off out of hand, there is too much money to be made. (And yes, there are a lot of people who won't have anything to do with them.)

21. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    A driverless forklift in an unmanned warehouse is something quite different than an Italian V12 engined sportscar with 740 hp on a regular open road and cruising at speeds in excess of 100 mph.

Marcel Massini

WilliamB, ppg70, LARRYH and 6 others like this.
  22. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Similar thing just he other day in my '18 E63S.

I saw the traffic ahead , My car's warning beep went off , I was ready to brake and then the darn thing decided to break hard on it's own , I cringed bc there were cars on my rear . In the instant the traffic ahead of me moved up I wanted to move up too to give the guys behind me more room but the damn system wouldn't let me go , it was still brake locked ! I was literally cringing waiting for a bump from behind , luckily they stop. Scary

I'm an engineer and I can't fathom that some of these system issues exist. Sounds like a failure of System design analysis 101.

23. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    FWIW, my Honda constantly thinks I'm getting into a head-on when I travel on two lane roads with traffic going in both directions. It also likes to slam on the brakes when I pull off a highway onto an exit without using the blinker. Thankfully, you can override the auto-brakes pretty quickly using the accelerator pedal. My daughter calls the car "bossy".

of2worlds likes this.
  24. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You're right, they aren't there yet, but they are inching up on it.

"Self-Driving Race Car Set a New Speed Record After Topping 175 MPH"
    https://robbreport.com/motors/cars/roborace-robocar-speed-record-2868060/

This car has over 720HP through 4 electric motors. No place for a driver.

And for a little different take, Stanford University project doing some drifting at a local track, the interesting parts starts after about the 30sec mark:

25. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Just this morning I was leaving the parking lot and opened my Alfa door as I was rolling past the dumpster to throw paper towels into it - just creeping along at 3-5mph and the car put the e-brake on and slammed to a halt. Thankfully low speed but I didn't know it would engage automatically when the door opened.

Makuono likes this.