550 passenger wiper blade | FerrariChat

550 passenger wiper blade

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by rivarama, Jun 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rivarama

rivarama Rookie

May 18, 2017
    London
    Hello,

I need to replace my passenger wiper blade and decided to source it myself from my favourite Ferrari OEM website and got a big shock when I saw that the part I am after (65081600) costs £147.

$200 for a wiper blade is an absolute joke for what it is.

Have you guys found a substitute part number that works just fine?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I just matched them up at autoparts store for under 15 bucks! Be creative. Sometimes you can find the rubber blade sometimes the metal wiper arm with blade. You have to reuse the arm that holds the wiper arm.

F456M and 308 GTB like this.
  3. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Cut the arm just behind the rectangular hole near the blade end, turn over and weld/braze back together so the hook is reversed, grind/file smooth and paint, then you can use the excellent Bosch Icon 24A blades on both arms.

When welding bevel both ends to get good penetration. I use nickle bronze rod and TIG braze with good results, you can't see the joint.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

m5shiv likes this.
  4. rivarama

rivarama Rookie

May 18, 2017
    London
    You lost me right after the word “welding” :)))

Will try the auto part shop again. Last time they didn’t seem to want to help as their computer wouldn’t have the 550 listed in their menu...

5. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Then see if you can source a 360 or 430 passenger side arm and try a Bosch Icon 22A. The 360/430 arms are about .900 longer so the 24 inch blade hits the roof, the 22 inch might be a better choice.
    Several here have the 360/430 arm with a 24 inch blade but I didn’t like it hitting the roof.

6. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    It took a bit of searching, but I was able to find some 24" wiper blade refills online (just the rubber part) that fit. Just remove the old rubber and slide in the new. The tough part was finding the right refills because they are wider than most. This way I can keep the original wipers which I like the look of. Cost was less than $10.00. Unfortunately I don't remember where I found them, sorry.

F456M likes this.
  7. rivarama

rivarama Rookie

May 18, 2017
    London
    Sorry I should have made it clearer - the part number I gave on the original post and the one I am after is not for my 430, but for my 550 maranello.
    The 430 wipers are indeed easy to source. 550 is another kettle of fish
    Thanks

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks for bringing back the bad memories. I remember being floored when a brought a new wiper blade at FOH. Unfrigging believable.

9. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
  10. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    What I meant was to replace your passenger side 550 wiper arm with a 360 or 430 passenger side arm which have the hook inverted.

11. rivarama

rivarama Rookie

May 18, 2017
    London
    Given that the arm is $600, I suddenly find the wiper blade option more palletable

F456M likes this.
  12. rivarama

rivarama Rookie

May 18, 2017
    London
    Thank you for the link. Unfortunately I don’t believe I have the right arm fitted on the car (previous owner seem to have never wanted to spend the money) as half the blade isn’t in contact with the glass. The arm seems to be hitting the current wiper up... clearly incompatible.

I feel I will be able to use that option going forward once I have the correct blade fitting; but I now have the feeling I might have to bite the bullet :-(

13. rivarama

rivarama Rookie

May 18, 2017
    London
    One more thought... looking at the 456 wiper diagram, it also looks like the hook is inverted (why did Luigi decided to go for that design when 99% of the car industry has hooks pointing downwards).
    Would a 456 wiper fit a 550? I see that they are available for $50 online

14. lfarrar

lfarrar Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    San Diego
    Hi. What year is your 550.? Euro or USA. And did it fit okay? I need blades for my 1998 euro and it would be good news it these would work.
    Thanks

15. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    2001, USA model and yes they fit OK.

16. lfarrar

lfarrar Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    San Diego
    Thanks. I will try them.

17. lfarrar

lfarrar Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    San Diego
    They don’t ship to the United States

18. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Just search for ANCO W24R online. I see them at Rockauto, eBay, amazon and others.

19. Bertt

Bertt Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert
    If I look at a number of carparts suppliers in europe the Denso DM-045 comes up at almost every supplier as fit for the passenger side of a Ferrari 550. Haven't purchased it myself ( don't need one yet) but it costs less than 10 euro, so if it fits.......