F355 Market | Page 148 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Not really...

Robb

2. texasnoiz

texasnoiz Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2018
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    k s
    had a question for you all. recently acquired a '95 rosso barchetta manual berlinetta with 36K mi. Car was well kept in air conditioned storage - i'm getting the engine out done as it is due plus all the stickies in the interior taken care of to my liking - a little OCD over here in terms of interiors. I maintain all my cars very well at all times. ordered 19" HREs. Capristo3. adding a new head unit for apple car play to make it modern day friendly - I plan to enjoy it - driving it a few times a week at least. always wanted one - finally found it at the right time. lets say I put 10K mi / year on it is that a big deal in terms of value plummeting? plan to keep it for the long haul but anything can happen...

3. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Enjoy, but 10k per year will kill the value no doubt.

drbob101 likes this.
  4. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think you'll find it is hard to put 10k miles on the car in a year because you'll be concerned with the value when you do resell.

Everyone thinks they will keep their car for long term, but in reality it is typically less than 5 years. Coupled with the non-oem components being installed, the car will be a joy to drive but will not keep its value.

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    None of them do, anyone buying these for an investment will be disappointed, buy it to enjoy it, and then enjoy it and then you'll enjoy it. The depreciation is traded for the enjoyment had. :)

6. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Best case scenario values skyrocket and you only lose a little bit but 10k miles a year is considered a lot for a luxury car let alone a Ferrari in my opinion.

You won't regret it though IMO. Not taking the money with you.

7. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    ...and thats why I got one with close to 45K miles.

Once you are done with all the maintenance and drove it as much as you like I will buy it;)

8. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    355dreamer likes this.
  9. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Robb likes this.
  10. sebas355

sebas355 Rookie

Jul 16, 2013
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Guys - haven't been on this forum in ages. I have a 1995 spider. 6 speed. 7800 miles. rosso corsa. I am the 2nd owner. Bought the car in 2013 from Ben Salerno in Rocklin, CA when car only had 3000 miles. It was in some dentist's collection before that. Car is very clean. Clean carfax, no accident, no stories. The one thing that is somewhat unique about the car is the soft top is tan color. Most spiders in rosso corsa come with a black top.
    Any idea as to current value? Just checking on market.
    Thanks guys,
    Sebas355.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Do you have a pic with the top up? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a beige one

12. sebas355

sebas355 Rookie

Jul 16, 2013
    Walnut Creek, CA
    I don't unfortunately. I never put the top up. It's kinda of pain in the neck. Actually it is one thing the car needs - seat potentiometers. Thanks for reminding me!
    I can get the top to go up but i have to use the special button in the back center console.

13. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    ^Ask johnk... he is a spider expert (arachnologist)

14. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    well I am no expert but bought a 1995 Spyder last year.

Far more miles so the below may or may not be critical for buyers, but it was for me (to an extent):

- valve guides addressed - bronze in early cars - many will develop issues - question how many miles
    - headers welded/changed - many cars have failure
    - top operational?
    - last major - all belts fluids, etc etc (every five years)
    - condition of clutch
    - condition of wheels
    - brakes
    - tires
    - stickies (looks like yours is nice)
    - condition of the top cover ($500-600 with fasteners to replace)
    - maintenance records
    - original paint / scrapes/bumper or other respray quality
    - shields/challenge grill
    - condition of cats
    - original or updated exhaust
    - condition of seats
    - all tools
    - car cover/seat cover

Not everything was in order and my car needs a major after about 12 months of purchase so I was able to knock off almost $10K from the asking price...
    Hope this helps and I am sure the pros will chime in.
    Laz

sebas355 and eyeman1234 like this.
  15. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    You pretty much nailed it. I would only add that for me original cats and headers are a minus if you plan to drive it as those will go bad at some point.

Also, on the major I also like to know if they replaced the tensioner bearing.

Sancho22 and eyeman1234 like this.
  16. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    This might be totally contradictory to what I have said in the past, but you should not care about the mileage or value.

I’ve owned 5 355s in the last 15 years. I too was always concerned about putting too many miles on the cars.

“Don’t buy one over 30k miles” “don’t buy one with higher miles”.

Buy what you like, budget maybe 10k at most for service... When you sell it, expect to get maybe 15k less than you’ve invested. Likely much less than the depreciation you’d experience on your 360, McLaren, corvette, California or almost any other sports car. Heck, your wife’s Honda Minivan will deprecate much more than you 70k 355.

Don’t buy a Ferrari for the potential cost and appreciation. Buy it to love it.

If I had a time machine, I’d go back and drive my 355s till the wheels fell off.

Buy what you like... enjoy it. If you’re concerned about losing 20k over 5 years, than don’t buy a Ferrari, or any car for that matter.

Life is short. Enjoy every moment.

INTMD8, 308 GTB, audi_328 and 6 others like this.
  17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Really had to say. A 8k miles, 95 spider is a nice car and should bring a good price if well maintained. But there isn't anything special about red/tan. It's a matter of the buyer. $65k to $75k wouldn't be unreasonable, maybe $80k if you get lucky. But you never know. Put it on BAT and you might not see a bid over $60k.

18. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    #3693 eyeman1234, Jun 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    There you are-
    +1, agreed!

johnk... earlier: "I think people are too hung up on red, 95s and non spiders."

19. texasnoiz

texasnoiz Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 7, 2018
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    k s
    Thanks all for your input - this is a great list! Perhaps 10k mi /year was an exaggeration- more like 5000-7000 lol. I’m the least bit concerned about value honestly. I figure an older car at bottom of depreciation curve won’t ‘tank’ - I’m looking forward to driving and enjoying that Capristo F1 noiz!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    well not sure who made the comment about driving the 355 bare feet, but I did it last night...it was awesome.

21. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    The F355 in the UK market has surprised me as to how strong prices are compared to current supercar marques in this uncertain time.
    This one sold on a popular collector car auction yesterday for around 94k sterling including commission. The Aston and the Maclaren the day before.
    I have no doubt there will be a few on here getting ready to talk the prices down :rolleyes: , i just found this interesting especially with over 36k miles on it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Tonyng716 and sebas355 like this.
  22. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    Wow! I love my 355 but thankfully paid significantly less for it.
    Big Aston fan. I used to own the V12 Vantage Carbon Black - the only car so far I should have never sold...

23. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    New/prospective supercar owners: "I'm going to drive it all the time!!!"

Past supercar owners: "I wish I drove it all the time!"

Current supercar owners: "I'm just going to drive it on the weekends and really enjoy it."

Every way is valid!

24. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb