512BBi Drive Side MIrror Stopped Working | FerrariChat

512BBi Drive Side MIrror Stopped Working

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 2dinos, Jun 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Took car out for a spin. So beautiful to take the cover off. Out of the blue, I can't set the drive side power mirror. Passenger side works fine. Bummer (Relatively small I admit), cause she's running soo beautiful.

What's the trick here. Since these beauties pretty much have the same sniggling issues, hoping for a quick EZ-ish fix. I would guess fuses are good, 'cause pass side is operational. So that leaves switch / mirror motors / wiring. It was working a few months back. I tried jiggling the L <-> R switch back and forth several times, but acts the same. Silent on drive side and all good on pass side. ???

Very much appreciate any head start. Thanks!

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    have a look first if you have power ( so + and - ) at the mirror

3. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    No tricks here. You mention a few failure reasons your self. I would check connectors first and consider to swab the mirrors to check if the fault is in the mirror. If failure still persists then you need to check output from the switch. A faulty switch can be repaired by the skilful diy and you can find assistance here via the search function. I successfully dismantled my switch precautionary to clean and lube. Not an easy job but manageable. The switch is extremely expensive and difficult to source so handle with care.

Best Peter

4. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Thank you.
    Just hoping the trouble shooting doesn't have me taking half the car apart to discover something is unplugged.o_O On another post, I saw mention of a connector issue where one of the contacts got pushed back in. I wouldn't think this a culprit as nothing was touched - except the switch - Hmmm. That switch used to be a fairly ez to source Vitaloni for iirc 40 bucks. I do recall seeing one on eBay for a kings ransom so I guess they fall into that rare and precious category now.

Interesting that both motors, sideways & up-down are silent. So points to switch or wiring (like some ground)??

How we love them so!

5. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Unplugging connectors happens seldom by it self, the connector must be manipulated first. I suggest to screw off the mirror base and pull out the round connector and check the condition = 2 minutes job. Often these connectors are in terrible condition due to water intrusion. If the connector looks ok then measure the output from the wire harness at the connector when you manipulate the switch, or take the working mirror and connect up to the connector....I bet the latter is the fastest (I actually know it is, cause I've been there, done that..) If no power, pull the switch out and check the output directly from the switch. Based on the result you will know if the switch is faulty or if it is the harness between the switch and the door connector. Nice little weekend project. Keep us updated. Good luck.

Best Peter

6. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Thanks Peter!! Just kind of info I was hoping for. About a day away from the weekend, so I've got a mission.

If you ever have a problem with turning on the headlight makes the temp gauge read hot, I've dealt with that gremlins (After disassembling 60 of the dash!). Or one alternator light coming on. Glad to share!

pshoejberg likes this.
  7. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    #7 2dinos, Jun 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    Great approach Peter. Good news is I think I have a solid diagnosis. It's the mirrors. Bad news is, it's the mirrors. The drivers side has pretty much quit, and the pass side is getting very lethargic. How much are those? Like $59 for the D side and $62.50 for the pass side:rolleyes:?? Seriously, how do you get into the drive motors. I pulled out the 2 Phillips screws, and have the mirror out with motor drive module which looks not-to-serviceable.

Appreciate any input before I turn it into a science project.

Just looked them up. NLA new, and $1,876.52 USD for the left and same for the right. USED!

$3,753 for mirrors! Ok, I thought I was used to the sticker shock, and then comes this! How does one get into those drive motors??

8. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Mirror drive motors are dark land for me. I have been struck by luck and have never experienced any problems with the electrical mirrors on either of my classical cars. However, it can not be that difficult to fault find on the system and identify the faulty motors etc. Maybe consider to cannibalize some spare parts from other fabricate mirrors. You can afford to spent some time on scientific studies for 3.8K $ :D

Looking forward to updates, Best Peter

turbo-joe likes this.
  9. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Some good news!!

Those mirrors are very serviceable. Eight or nine tedious little snap fits to undo, but with nominal care (As opposed to painstaking surgery), the mirror comes away from the housing, and the drive assembly comes away from the mirror glass. Now the guts are exposed and let the cleaning begin. The problem with mine was the motor itself was jamming up from some micro corrosion in the motor bearings. It really didn't want o spin. A little more disassembly, wipe clean carefully and a teensy bit of lube, and all is happy again. Of course while you're in there, clean away to your hearts content. I made it immaculate with some soap and water on plastic pieces. Resist the urge to apply lubricants to the sliding surfaces. It was dry and dusty when I took it apart and no residue from lube and dirt like you'd find on a bike chain. I was concerned lube would attract dirt, then the gimbal would glue itself stuck, and I'd get the pleasure of doing the job again. Whole job for one mirror took about an hour +.

10. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Glad you got it working. I had sent a PM to you offering my motors from a crappy right side mirror I bought for one piece. It had no mirror. Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this mirror motor looks for me like the motor BMW and also AUDI has.

12. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Good to hear that you have come a long way with cleaning, lubing and exercising. It's just two electrical motors, no voodoo here and now potential spare parts are offered from follow members. Silicone based grease are good for the plastic stuff. Good luck with the repair.

Best, Peter

turbo-joe likes this.
  13. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    It's actually one motor and a very clever clutch arrangement to move action to different axis.

14. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Here you go. You are the go to expert when this repair is done

best, Peter

15. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    It's fairly easy if it were not for the really tough snap fit of plastic parts, and if they broke, the project would be much more involved.