308 Speedo Repair/Rebuild | Page 12 | FerrariChat

308 Speedo Repair/Rebuild

Discussion in '308/328' started by alhbln, Aug 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    What happens when you switch it on, does it stay at 10 mph until you actually drive? Or does it jump to 15-20mph at low speeds until it reaches higher RPMs?
    Which car/year?

2. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I believe all of our speedometer needles rest at 10mph. I was told this was done on purpose because the car looks like it’s moving even when turned off.

3. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Calibration has been implemented and tested, and seems to work nicely. I'm converting another 328 Speedo to test it on additional hardware this week.

Quick question, is anyone still using the old 80 mph limited speedo with the orange bar on the right side?
    I would like to avoid those as the calibration speed at 12'o clock is different to all the other speedos.

Crowndog likes this.
  4. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Did anyone ever verify his Type 2/3 speedo precision with a GPS or smartphone? I just tested two very good condition unmodified factory ones (my reference), one reads 120 kmh at 140 kmh, the other one 158 kmh. That is 20 kmh off, in either direction.

5. RAC911

RAC911 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2006
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ralph Cacace
    How do you carefully open the speedo. My chrome ring does not move and I do not want to bend the chrome ring to get it off. Any ideas on how it is done? Also what does a test signal to the speedo schematic lokk like?

6. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
  7. Andyinfrance

Andyinfrance Karting

Dec 29, 2019
    France
    Hi Adrian, following your amazing work, I’m looking for a board to convert a US Speedo 1981 308 GTSi with the original Speedo showing 80 mph max before the red line, want convert to Kms as it’s now imported into France, also would the new board solve something I’ve noticed about the needle being particularly slow to reach actual speed? And slow to go back down to zero when stopping? Seems like a good 15 seconds that it takes to reach actual speed at around 70 mph !!
    Thanks Andy

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Do you have the type number of the Speedo (on the paper label attached to the body of the Speedo)? Conversion would require a new faceplate, i remember that Eurospares sells those, as well as a new Speedo board with a conversion software. The 15 seconds are from zero to 70 mph? Could be a mechanical/stiction issue. Are you in Europe?

9. Andyinfrance

Andyinfrance Karting

Dec 29, 2019
    France
    Hi Adrian
    I haven’t taken the Speedo apart yet and yes I’m trying to source a faceplate in km as Eurospares are a bit pricey I think, yes I’m in France, the Speedo needle takes time to catch up with the actual road speed, ie it is very slow.
    When I take the clock out I’ll get the reference from the label and let you know
    Thanks

10. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    If anyone has a dead unrepairable speedometer they are willing to part with, I am looking got the clear light ring. Mine is missing.

Aaron

11. Andyinfrance

Andyinfrance Karting

Dec 29, 2019
    France
    If anyone has a spare km faceplate for the Speedo I’d be interested? Thanks

12. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    You may try contacting the two main rebuild options in the US (Palo Alto and North Hollywood) as I understand they print custom faces and may have a km template they can use.

Andyinfrance likes this.
  13. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    You'll have to specify which series speedometer you have, and how many odometer digits - they vary in turn signal light shape (arrow or circle), and 5 or 6 digit odometers.

Andyinfrance likes this.
  14. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Just found this thread while searching. Any update on the availability of the new boards for a 328 ?

15. Andyinfrance

Andyinfrance Karting

Dec 29, 2019
    France
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

If you know of someone who can supply km replacement for this? Cheers

16. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Currebntly in testing, should be available soon :)

Maybe a template PDF helps for having a new one produced, see attachment. This should be silk printed in white on a black painted aluminium plate 0,4-0,6 mm thick.

Attached Files:

Andyinfrance likes this.
  17. Andyinfrance

Andyinfrance Karting

Dec 29, 2019
    France
    Fantastic, looks good, I’ll give it a try

18. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Just a quick shout out to Adrian for the help with my speedometer. Speed needle worked but odometer didn't (classic indication of a bad speedometer circuit board).

My 79 GTS still has the original 80mph speedo and apparently the back EMF of the odometer motor in those assemblies was more than Adrian's latest design could handle. After a few tests and trials, Adrian was able to identify the issue, spin a new design and get it out to me. I super appreciate his dedication to helping resolve the issue and willingness to rev the design to accommodate these model speedometers.

Yeah, I know most of you (or your POs) swapped out the 80mph speedo's for the higher speed assemblies--you know it doesn't make your car any faster :)

Again, many many thanks to Adrian. I now have a working odometer in my car!

alhbln likes this.
  19. Donby

Donby Rookie

Dec 3, 2020
    Donslund, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Hans Jørgen Nielsen
    Finally found an oasis in the desert.

I must join the choir of praises for Adrian and his work

I do not own a Ferrari myself, - yet. Meanwhile I was contacted by a 308 GT4 owner with this classic SAY115 failure.

Electronics is my profession and I love italian cars, and maintain my Alfas and X1/9 myself, so I went surfing and came across this FerrariChat subject.

So – the 308 GT4 is a 1974 model, and I would like to get an update for availability of the version 1 kit and further delivery details.

Danke schön.

G. Pepper likes this.
  20. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Liked for the X1/9. My first Italian car was a Chrome Yellow '74 X1/9 I got in 1975. Loved that car. :)

Du_Man and Donby like this.
  21. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Never knew that my 1976 X1/9 at 17 was the gateway drug for the 308!

Donby and G. Pepper like this.
  22. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I was 17 too! Senior year of high school. :)

23. Donby

Donby Rookie

Dec 3, 2020
    Donslund, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Hans Jørgen Nielsen
    They are both designed by Bertone, are of the same generation and quite frankly there are some resemblance. Should'nt be surprised if they even share some bits and pieces.
    Now I know where my car collection is heading.

24. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    X 1/9 and Lancia Scorpion/ MonteCarlo share about 25% of the parts

G. Pepper likes this.