Door light issue? | FerrariChat

Door light issue?

Discussion in '360/430' started by LP360, Jun 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LP360

LP360 Karting

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Weird issue with my door light. Replace bulb over and over, it works briefly but burns out very quick, had to replace the plastic as it's melted it, same issue with led the led gets very hot. This can't be normal? Any suggestions?

I've had to leave the bulb out.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Is it possible the switch that check if the door is open is bad and it keeps the light on all the time ?

JaguarXJ6 likes this.
  3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    The original bulb gets very very hot as it is an incandescent bulb. I replaced mine with LED so it doesnt get hot any longer and it works great.

If you replaced yours with LED's and still gets hot its possible you either have a short circuit on the base of the bulb socket or you have poor connection from the bulb and bulb socket contact.

I suggest cleaning the socket bulb contacts with fine sandpaper, then spray with electrical contact cleaner.
    Do the same to the LED bulb. Then put everything back together and hope that fixes it.

Dan

EastMemphis likes this.
  4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    What voltage are you getting at the bulb holder, if u r getting less than 12 volts You may be drawing more amps. There is a multi pin plug supply to the door by the hinges, check the wires and connections

5. LP360

LP360 Karting

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Thanks for the replies, I've checked the door shut switch and the bulb does go out. but soon as the door is open within seconds the bulb or led gets very hot.

No other issues so will check voltage within the next few days.

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I can hold mine in my fingers, should be rated at 3 watts so maybe rated at more ?

7. LP360

LP360 Karting

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I can't with mine, I tested one last week. left bulb bare and within seconds I couldn't touch it. after about 3 or 4 minutes the bulbs started to burn (black on the bulb) so had to take it out with pliers. Same with leds I can't touch the led as its gets hot and from what I've read leds are suppose to be cooler than bulbs? Since then I've left it without any bulbs in to be on the safe side.

8. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Here's one easy test you can do. Pull the bulb out. Then, in dark surroundings, open and shut the door. Let the car sit for a couple minutes. Check if your window switches are illuminated. If they are, that door very likely has a microswitch failure where it thinks you are constantly pulling up on the handle to open it. That's what happened with my car, also causing a premature battery drain sitting just over 200mv when the car is asleep it should be under 40mv.

whatheheck likes this.
  9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Ma or Mv ? I might try removing bulbs on mine to check the battery draw. How are you measuring the drawdown

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Was it a 12 volt. 3 watt bulb

11. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Measuring ma, sorry. You would know if there is another circuit drawing - your battery wouldn't last more than a couple of days and had to be kept on tender full time.

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    We have trackers fitted here so tenders are the rule