How and why would Ferrari should do all electric | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How and why would Ferrari should do all electric

Discussion in 'Electric Ferraris' started by MalibuGuy, Jun 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #26 Shadowfax, Jun 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    Yes to make any sports car which has no sound or poor sound is really a tragic situation and not one I care to be part of.

Also, this constant pursuit of adding power and acceleration - most of which can't even be used 99.999% of the time - has become the only form of traction for these manufacturers to market with now and all usual sensations removed or dulled to such an extent these cars are more or less evolving into appliances with a luxury goods badge along with a price tag to match the status symbol.

IloveGT likes this.
  2. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Aero, or rather great aero, has a huge effect on range for EV. Ferrari has a huge advantage over the likes of Tesla.

Suspension design and set-up is something that Tesla is very far behind as well.

Ferrari now relegates the hybrid design to third parties. If Ferrari want to do an EV, then they should take the same commitment as they do with their engines. They should do totally bespoke stator motors. They should use advanced and innovative ideas. Maybe smaller ones, which use titanium and or carbons fiber for the internal rotating masses and parts.Maybe use small lightweight motors in place of the old fashioned hub assembly (Sort of like how F1 cars use the gearbox as a rear structure member) I’ll be the first to admit I’m not an expert in these matters. So what I am proposing may not work. But I think with talented engineers and a desire to create the very best instead of a cheap car for the masses, which after all Is the mission statement for Tesla, Ferrari could make something great.

Can it happen in a year. No. But that is why it makes sense to begin now, And when the time when such a product is optimal, Ferrari will be ready.

I don’t think making some stator rotor motors would be expensive at all. Not compared to designing and casting a new engine.

Dom likes this.
  3. While it’s debatable how much of a carbon footprint ICE vehicles leave, I tend to agree that developing EVs should be less about the environment and simply exploring a different and alternative way to experience the driving experience.

I’ve had limited seat time in a 918, very limited, but even from my less than 1 hour time behind the wheel I can tell that having a partial EV setup gives the car a different character. Same with the Taycan. Yes, the electric whine is a bit off putting and the fake Star Wars engine grunt soundtrack is a bit comical, the way that car can accelerate and handle a corner is pretty thrilling. Almost roller coasts like. If not better.

Of course none of this will replace a pure ICE, nor should it, but as a complement or as path to increase the abilities and capabilities of a traditional ICE car, it should be welcomed and encouraged

sisiay and MANDALAY like this.
  4. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Malibu dude, you seem to really want an e-Fcar. But consider in CA we’ve seen first hand the amazing transformation in air quality (from 20 yrs ago) all the while keeping ICE says a lot about the cleanliness of ICE today. I’m bout to trad into P&R but Electric cars carbon footprint (a phrase I use to sound woke) relative to their build and compared to ICE isn’t laudable. If 25% of all vehicles were battery, the infrastructure (in the US at least), i.e. power grid, would collapse under the collective energy pull from charging.

Electrics offer some convenience to urban dwellers; charge at home as the primary advantage over ICE; less noise for the true city dweller, and well not much else.

End of day, the push is still part of the Greta zombie crowd who believe non-science propagated by the UN and other one world gov’t elitist and need a religion to fulfill them as all humans do.

Whew! That was some reply and a little too P&R. Ultimately dude, just drive what emotes you. For me, it’s the dreamy explosion of an ICE blasting through the gears.

Ferrari can stay true to their roots while everyone else with a couple million bucks chases a battery powered “super car”. My money in that duel is on Ferrari.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The only reason we put up with the glitchy electronics/firmware, crappy batteries, sticky parts and initial paint quality in a Ferrari is because of that superb ICE engine. Just say'n.

6. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    But there is huge untapped potential in E cars. No one has tried using super conducting wires. And as batteries get better and lighter that will improve e cars.

let me ask this question. In 100 years will there be more e
    Cars than ICE hybrids?

7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    In 100 years it isn't going to matter what there is more of as all of us will be well and truly pushing up daisies before then.

8. Borrow’d Mine

Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    100 years is a long time so I've not a clue. My guess, autonomous will be the norm and those will be battery or something even better so it allows for a self charging dock - about like my Roomba today.

9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I’ll bet there will be humans and they will want transportation. I’d like to think that Ferrari would still exist.

10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #35 Shadowfax, Jun 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    Honestly, whether Ferrari exists is up to them. I'm only interested in what they can do for me in my lifetime and so far as i'm concerned the direction they've recently taken needs to be u turned asap back toward lightweight cars with a sound and an appealing design not lending to such polarizing views - or I'm out after Pista.

11. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    Don't worry, electric revolution is not coming so fast as they want everyone to believe in. still 20+ years to go.

12. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Sad to read such a post...An Electric Ferrari is a nosense !!!
    Ferrari, it s a story of mecanic and sport, not lithium battery

13. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #38 MalibuGuy, Jun 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    Tesla is launching their new sports car soon. A retractable top, with a 0-60 Time less than 2 seconds and a 0 -100mph time of 4.6 seconds and a top speed closing in on 250 mph. Range is 600 miles and it has more storage space than any ICE or ICE hybrid sports car.

MSRP around $250,000.

Some say it looks better than the Portofino, Roma or Lusso. I’ll be the judge of that. I’ll bet it will look better than the Ferrari SUV, though.

14. Borrow’d Mine

Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    There you go again :rolleyes:
    Just buy one but stop trying to convince us ;)

Racer_X likes this.
  15. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Okay! It will be interesting to compare the 458, the F8 and a Tesla sports car.

My point is that Ferrari would do a much better EV.

16. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I would wager Ferrari's F1 cars do more miles in a weekend than most of their road cars, so a lighter car with less range than a Tesla and much more interesting interior (either lightweight carbon or something luxurious, either way mass-market cars don't compete there) could be a compelling offering. As for the engine sound, if it's not a NA V-12 it might as well be silent :)

17. F1fletch

F1fletch Rookie

Nov 21, 2019
    Pacifica
    Full Name:
    Darren Fletcher
    IMO you can’t beat Tesla at their game. Don’t try to come up with same/same. A small GT Car (with a tiny back seat for storage) and front and rear storage with 250mile capacity, two doors and a unique electric jet whine (not all electrics are whisper quiet). Not only would it have a unique sound, but it would appeal to certain demographics. Think Roma but 5-10% smaller...just my .02 ;)

PMiranda likes this.
  18. xamo

xamo Rookie

Apr 28, 2010
    There are some amazing electric supercars out there now such as the Lotus. I expect electric to be the way to go for absolute performance. It's in its infancy, and already out-performing gas in many respects. The advantage of low center of gravity + super powerful motors cannot be denied. Traction control and handling will be amazing with 4 independent wheels, each with encoders on them, just like precision machine tool motors but with insane power. I see nothing but a win in terms of the ability to provide performance, which to me is what Ferrari has always been about.

Yes, we will miss "the noise", and some of the smells and quirks of gasoline for sure. This reminds me a lot of when I was into sport bikes, and all the Harley folks were like "but the noise! you miss out on the Harley grumble with your rice burner!" That is a fair argument for sure, and the wail of a witch burning as you carve the canyons is not to be ignored, but it's more than just the way it sounds for me.

19. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Ferrari can't even build a V8 which sounds decent any more.. now you want them to build an electric car? No thanks.

Tesla has a growing super charging network around the world. They have years worth of experience with autopilot and tons of data from millions of miles driven.

The last 458 and 488 I bought barely had all the interior screws properly attached.

I'm not even really that big fan of Tesla, but com'on let's get real here.

Ray

Boomhauer likes this.
  20. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Once the Germans get fully into it Tesla will be history.

21. Angus ferrier

Angus ferrier Rookie

Jul 28, 2018
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Angu ferrier
    Electric cars have no Heart and Soul

wiley355, Doctor Mark and Drson like this.
  22. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    The soul of Ferrari has always been their engine. I see no way an electric Ferrari will have any appeal to me. In addition, electric equals heavy and this moves the vehicle further away from being fun. Suspect they will do it since they have already "sold out" with their upcoming SUV.

wiley355 and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  23. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Of course that is true.
    But Ferrari when Ferrari does it right is also a beautiful design statement inside and out. And the unique and special driving experience which is more than engine music. A Ferrari creates passion and excitement.

Mercedes, BMW and Tesla do not

24. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Sadly to me they have “not been doing it right” for some time. However, people have different definitions of beauty. Many of the recent product designs have been uninspiring or derivative. The performance is there but lacking in classic beauty.An electric car to me is like a refrigerator I.e. useful but not an inspiring product.

wiley355, Bas, day355 and 1 other person like this.
  25. Pastaboy1980

Pastaboy1980 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2023
    Rolling Hills
    Full Name:
    Fra

Electric cars are scam, I’ll save you a lengthy discussion of why they are a scam. Life is Co2 I am former organic chemist, go read up on Photosynthesis

JTSE30 and RayJohns like this.