458 - Adjusting Novitec springs | FerrariChat

458 Adjusting Novitec springs

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Citadel, Jun 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Citadel

Citadel Karting

Aug 6, 2017
    Dallas, Texas
    Quick question.... Looking to install the Novitec Sport Springs. Looks like they lower the car 30mm. I am only wanting 20mm. Gonna have the dealership do the work. Can the car be adjusted back up 10mm so it sits 20mm lower than stock?

thanks

2. Baitschev

Baitschev Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2017
    Vienna
  3. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Yep should be no problem. When you drop it off, you may want to take a tape measure with you to measure all 4 fender heights (ground to fender) so you can be precise about what you'd like to see.

For some reason when I installed Novitec Springs on the Speciale, it resulted in a little bit of inverse rake (back was lowered more than the front). While the wheel gap to fender looked similar, the car looked like it had it's front lift up. Took a few rounds of adjustments to get it right.

Baitschev likes this.
  4. mikemaruri

mikemaruri Rookie

Oct 20, 2017
    Ft Lauderdale
  5. r6elmo

r6elmo Karting

Sep 12, 2010
    the helper spring is supposed to be like that when under load. When unloaded it helps to keep the main spring in place preventing noise. ride quality is a bit subjective. what size wheels/tires do you have? if larger wheels than stock, meaning thinner tires, that will be a big reason why the quality isn't great.

6. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Your dealer is correct. Since Novitec likely put little actual R&D into the spring design other than a copy paste of their typical springs, you are faced with a situation where the spring rate is likely too high for your comfort. Are you saying it's too stiff even with bumpy road mode turned on?

I would not remove the helper springs. If you hit a big drop that nearly unloads the suspension, the Novitec springs are too short to ensure they maintain contact to both the spring perch and the top hat of the coilover. When the suspension compressions as the shock absorbs the drop, the coil can tilt and cause catastrophic damage.

Agreed regarding the wheels. These look like Novitec's typical copy/paste formula: springs + vessel wheels. Personally, I'd avoid putting Novitec on anything you value.