GTC External Oil Coolers | Page 2 | FerrariChat

GTC External Oil Coolers

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by enio45, Jun 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    The upper brackets seem to be riveted on....ill look closer and yes, ill look at 8843 car we did a while back to see if they have the upper brackets. For sure no lower brackets, no oil cooler in the rad nor the grill area but had the round canister on the motor mounted at the oil pressure valve.

Again for clairity - the pics i posted are for GTC car # 10041

2. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    So - back under my car with more flashlights and a small camera...here's what I've found....

Driver side bracket - doesn't appear anything has ever been bolted to this. It looks like it is maybe bolted to the car with 2 bolts at the top, and then either riveted or welded at the bottom. But there are no marks around the holes that indicate anything has ever been bolted into those holes.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2nd look at driver side

Passenger side bracket. Again - doesn't appear anything has every been bolted into this.

Horns mounted to center bracket.

Below and right of the fan mounting bracket, you can see a stub coming off the cross brace. It's maybe an inch long sticking towards the front of the car and the finish doesn't look like it has ever been disturbed.

Passenger side shows the stub trying to peak out from behind the horn motor - just bottom left of the fan bracket in the image. It's obscured by the horn motor casing.Also note the bottom of the baffle that cuts from bottom left to top center of image, obscuring the top of the fan motor. That's the baffle you referenced. And my baffles, on the top and bottom of each baffle, seem to have some sort of foam rubber material - maybe for rattle prevention? Basically what you see in this image at the bottom of the baffle is that black foam rubber.

And if you look carefully at the top of the baffle in this picture, separating the silver color which is the underside of the nose, front of the hood, and the black color rising to meet it (the baffle), is the same foam material as is on the bottom of the baffle. Kind of looks like a 1/4 round molding in the picture but is soft foam when pressed on.

View into passenger side of my grill. With where my horns are, there is no place to fit an external oil cooler. My horns are well towards the passenger side of center. Never mind the insects stuck in my screen - I guess I need to clean that out one of these days.

Driver side look through grill. There would be space here for an oil cooler, if one was to be fitted. But again, the top bracket doesn't look used and there is only a stub where the bottom one would be. And my car has an oil cooler integrated into the bottom of the radiator, as shown in earlier pictures.

3. GTCLVR

GTCLVR Rookie

Apr 9, 2010
    MONTEREY,CA
    Full Name:
    JOHN

4. GTCLVR

GTCLVR Rookie

Apr 9, 2010
    MONTEREY,CA
    Full Name:
    JOHN
    Ed
    If your still looking for oil coolers give me a ring I think i can help you .
    831-655-4943 John

5. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    John, ill call you this weekend to discuss

Also - wondering, if the/a build sheet calls out for the oil coolers? Ill have to check that out.....

6. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Further to this topic - i have a copy of Build Sheet 10215.
    Interesting, on the last page of the build sheet - it calls out for Oil Radiator......see photo's attached of a pic of the build sheet.

I dont have the one for the car that im working on, however, possible it would call out the oil coolers -

If someone has any build sheets for GTC in the 10XXX range, that would be helpful in understanding what happened and when

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login