Hugh Jackman in talks to play Enzo Ferrari in new movie | FerrariChat

Hugh Jackman in talks to play Enzo Ferrari in new movie

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Jun 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Hugh Jackman in talks to play Enzo Ferrari in new movie due to start production next spring.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

X-Men star Hugh Jackman is in the running to play iconic Ferrari chief Enzo Ferrari in an upcoming movie about the Italian’s life, due to start filming next spring.

The film, tentatively titled simply Enzo Ferrari and set to be helmed by Ali and Heat director Michael Mann, will reportedly centre around Ferrari in 1957, a tumultuous year which saw the Italian company skating financial disaster, while its founder came under attack from the Vatican after a horrendous crash involving one of his cars at that year’s Mille Miglia road race. It was also the year after Ferrari had lost his son, Dino, to muscular dystrophy at the age of 24.

In an interview with the website Deadline.com, Mann, who’s reportedly spent two decades developing the project, said: “The real power of this piece is in the emotionally charged lives of these people in complex, extreme circumstances. In addition, there is the explosive power and lethal beauty of racing. It has a great drama at its core and that’s why Ferrari stayed with me.”

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Should Jackman land the title role, meanwhile, he won’t be the first to have played Enzo Ferrari in a movie, with Italian actor Sergio Castellitto having depicted him in a 2003 biopic, while Augusto Dallara played him in a small part in Ron Howard’s 2013 movie Rush.

The script for the new Mann-directed movie will be based on Brock Yates’ book Enzo Ferrari – The Man And The Machine – while Mann has recent experience of working on a motor racing movie, having been the executive producer on Ford v Ferrari, the film charting Ford’s successful defeat of Ferrari at the 1966 Le Mans 24 Hours.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.hugh-jackman-in-talks-to-play-enzo-ferrari-in-new-movie-due-to-start.3WArqpKiCpPJHXXWSDWETZ.html

2. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    This Mann movie has been around since the mid 90s, as far as I remember. Back then Robert De Niro was going to play Enzo Ferrari.

So... I'll believe it when I see it.

3. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    What about "Grand Prix" the McQueen movie? I recall Aldo Celli playing Enzo/Adolfo Manetti.......I seem to remember him looking/playing the part very well........
    (yea, I know.......oooooooldd........)

Isobel likes this.
  4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Grand Prix was directed by John Frankenheimer and starred James Garner. I agree that Aldo Celli was spot-on, but he would be like 120 years old now.;) Is Pauly Shore available?

tritone and Isobel like this.
  5. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Mann is aces, but how many times have we heard this? I hope it happens, but I’m not holding my breath.

6. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    375+ likes this.
  7. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

You're right.

There was another bio project which landed on my desk with Pacino attached.

8. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I'll see it when I believe it . . . . And yes, that's exactly what I mean.

9. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Haven't heard of that one. Can you give more details or it's stlll strictly confidential?

10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The Bobby Deerfield sequel?

11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    If it is based upon Brock Yates book don’t expect the movie to be too flattering of Enzo.

12. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Good lord, no.......:eek:

13. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    #13 635CSI, Jun 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    It would be cool as **** though..Michael Mann sure knows how to make a movie.
    After the success of Le Mans 66 it may be easier to get the money on board.
    What was the team line up that year? Just thinking from the US/Anglo perspective..Hollywood loves a blue eyed hero..was Phil Hill on the team ?
    Too early I guess

Nembo1777 likes this.
  14. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Ah, Hawthorn and Collins, that should do

15. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    And of course Portago..
    So ....
    Who should play:
    1. Collins
    2. Hawthorn
    3. Portago
    4. The Pope
    5. Fangio
    6. Moss

16. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    First of all, Enzo Ferrari stands above movies, let's be clear about that. As he stands above practically anything in the world. It is difficult, if not impossible, to picture a God, because that's what he is to most of the people who would consider go see that movie.
    So, one needs to stay as close as possible to the nature of the original character.
    Forget about letting him speak English, Il Commendatore parla Italiano... e basta.
    Second, you need a man with a Latin head, a rather big crooked nose, a typical Italian face, just like the Drake.
    Eventually De Niro could come close? And he's good with languages.
    Actually Adolfo Celi was not bad in "Grand Prix".
    If Lino Ventura would still be alive he 'd be the man for the job.
    Andy Garcia has that Latin head too, but not the nose, and he does not have the weight of De Niro.

Hugh Jackman is a very bad option: too light, too easy, no charisma, definitely no Latin soul.
    But I am sure a guy like Michael Mann would understand absolutely nothing about all this. No affinity with Italian lifestyle, Latin manners.
    This film is gonna be another joke.

17. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Agree on Enzo, De Niro. Disagree on Mann, he’s not black but did a great job with Ali. He isn’t Latin but got De Niro and Pachino together for Heat. Then there is Miami Vice, very Latin for a 80’s US cop show...plus I nearly bought a gorgeous blue ( no, not white) Testa Rossa that he had owned.
    I think the script could be in worse hands by far.

18. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
  19. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    There is another article where it appears that the distribution rights for this film have already been picked up. That should indicate that the funding make it happen is arranged or nearly so. I don't know if Jackman is the right person or not but the reality of Hollywood financing for something that is going to be big budget requires name actors that can be promoted.

Read Luca Dal Monte's book to get a better understanding of 1957 and what Enzo faced in the aftermath of de Portago's accident. I expect that more of the movie will be based upon the trials and tribulations of the man during the period than the pure racing. The fights with the church, he refused to travel for fear of being arrested, the daily visits to Dino's grave, etc.

One of the articles said that filming starts later next year.

20. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 agree

21. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Wouldn't Stanley Tucci be a better choice to play Enzo? Or....? Never been up to speed on this industry.

22. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Mann is uno di noi, a tifoso, he doesn't need to be Italian.

The cast selection, as you know, too many times is dictated by the box office expectations, so they use young actors with hyper expensive effects to make him look older. I've given up in understanding many things in this world.

635CSI likes this.
  23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Matt Damon?

24. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

I'll PM you

25. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I actually like Bobby Deerfield, not the racing part but the relationship between a terminally ill woman and a so called (yawn) "dare devil" driver was an interesting plot.

Rush was useless in terms of the racing but the acting was fabulous...as was Olivia Wilde:D.

De Niro as Enzo would have been awesome. I struggle a bit to imagine Hugh Jackman in the role...