488 GTB -- Turning off Start&Stop system? | FerrariChat

488 GTB -- Turning off Start&Stop system?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Lou B., Jun 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lou B.

Lou B. Rookie

Jun 4, 2020
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Lou Borrelli
    Does anyone know how to keep the Start&Stop system off?
    This is what the owner's manual states, but it doesn't work as stated:

"Each time the instrument panel is switched on (KEY-ON), the
    Stop&Start system remains in the same state it was in when
    the vehicle was switched off (KEY-OFF). If the function was
    activated at KEY-OFF, it remains activated at the next KEY-ON
    and the LED on button A will flash for a few seconds."

2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I think it depends on the model year - with early cars, one could set it off and never think again about it, while with newer cars it defaults to "on" at each start up.

3. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I had VR Tuned flash my Portofino ECU,and I asked them to disable the Stop/Start at the same time. So in addition to an exhilarating increase in horsepower and torque,no more annoying Stop/Start.

SoftwareDrone and whatheheck like this.
  4. jdlegg

jdlegg Karting

Dec 22, 2009
    Bryan
    Full Name:
    James D
    My 2019 488GTB requires the start/stop button push at every start-up. It's become second nature to just push it - same thing I have to do in my AMG.

5. Lou B.

Lou B. Rookie

Jun 4, 2020
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Lou Borrelli
    Thanks. I'm also inquiring directly with Ferrari and will let you know what I found out if/when I get a response.

6. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    In the US you have to deactivate it every time.

jdlegg likes this.
  7. JDINPA

JDINPA Rookie

Aug 30, 2017
    This post correct
    My 2017 488 GTB is once & done with this. Have to admit it would drive me ******* to have this happen in a Ferrari. Recommend ECU mod

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

SoftwareDrone likes this.
  8. Lou B.

Lou B. Rookie

Jun 4, 2020
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Lou Borrelli
    Mine is a 2019, and I think jdlegg and LVP488 are right in that they changed it on later models to default to "on" -- ugh!

9. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I have a 2019 and most times my car does not shut off so I don't bother hitting that button at startup. At least the car does not have cylinder deactivation, my 2015 Huracan didnt have it but 2016+ does and a big reason I didnt buy another one

10. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    My 2019 never turns off when stopped...I never new the car had this function. Totally lost

gmo28 likes this.
  11. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    It's a mandatory option on USA cars. You got lucky. Can you turn it on using the overhead button?

12. Lou B.

Lou B. Rookie

Jun 4, 2020
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Lou Borrelli
    Not sure it's mandatory, as it seems to be an option that one pays extra for called HELE (High Emotion Low Emissions), the on/off button replaces the middle dome light button. It is listed on my options placard.

13. BLACK CARS

BLACK CARS Rookie

Sep 23, 2016
    Stop-start gives the manufacturers a little MPG credit with the EPA. so it is not mandatory per se but becomes mandatory for the certification. Have 2017 GTB and am not sure if it even there but in any case, it doesn't have this pain. My wife's 2019 Portofino has it and we certainly appreciate this saving of 1/2 gallon per year in gasoline. Unfortunately, it is on the overhead and something that is often overlooked when starting. On our Boxster 2018 GTS, it is in the center and again overlooked until it becomes a nuisance. Was wondering what effect would be to jump the backside of the switch/wires so that ir always stays off without intervention. Not sure if this is possible.

14. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    If you go through the Configurator (at least the older one which was much more complete),you will see that HELE was an option but standard on USA cars. It could not be deleted (which I tried to do).

15. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    On the 488 in Europe HELE was reported as an option but it was actually mandatory from the start - my 2015 has it although I did not select it, and to add insult to injury I had to pay the extra for it... fortunately I could switch it off forever.

16. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    My 2016 488 does not have start/stop. No HELE listed on options plate.
    I provide this as a data point for people shopping 488s. If you don’t want to deal with the fuss, you may get lucky with a 2016.
    Personally, I am happy to not have it.

54greg likes this.
  17. BCHOW

BCHOW Rookie

Jun 30, 2005
    Burlingame, CA
    Full Name:
    Benson
    My previous early production 2019 488 Spider didn’t have it. However, my 2020 Pista is mandatory and I have to turn it off every time .

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Per the manual, feature is optional on the 2018 488. "Stop&Start system (optional)." When I purchased mine, I recall the dealer mentioning that it was an option.

19. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I didn't have it on my 2018 488. Unfortunately my 812 and Portofino have it and the button has to be pushed each time. It's an annoyance I have been living with on the RR for quite a while so now all three cars have it. I bet eventually it won't be possible to turn it off, just something else to go wrong.

20. Luk77

Luk77 Rookie

May 6, 2018
    What button should I push? I have a Pista spider and it’s too annoying...

21. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    On the 488 it's up on the map light

22. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    2019 488GTB...can not find a stop/start system on my car. Car does not turn off at idle like at a stop light for example. Glad I do not have this

23. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    High emotion- it sure pisses me off when I forget to disable it each time I drive. It's really embarrasing.

24. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    All US F8’s have it, just have to get in the habit of starting the car and immediately hitting the button. In my wife’s Navigator after I start the car I switch it into Excite mode, hit the button to turn off start/stop, hit the auto hold button, hit the massage button and turn on the cruise control every time I get in. Sounds like a lot but literally takes like 4 seconds.

25. Lou B.

Lou B. Rookie

Jun 4, 2020
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Lou Borrelli
    Formula Junior, you might have an earlier year version when it was “optional.” I believe the in later production years it became a required option for the US.