365 GT4 2+2 Door lock | FerrariChat

365 GT4 2+2 Door lock

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by TomTomGTA, Jun 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TomTomGTA

TomTomGTA Rookie

Aug 28, 2012
    Luxembourg
    Full Name:
    Tom Mailliet
    Hello to all,

I've just gotten my 1975 365 GT4 2+2 and all is fine except for the drivers door lock which will not lock with key, it feels like the lock is engaging and the locking pin on the top of the door moves downwards but not all the way. The key meets resistance and doesn't go any further and I don't want to force it.

Could it be somebody closed it while locked?
    My mechanic doesn't have time to look at it so I was wondering if somebody had an easy or not so easy fix?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Tom

2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Tom,

In order to properly diagnose and fix this is to gain access to the door lock and outer handle. To do so you will need to remove the leather door lane and raise the window. Even doing this the lock cylinder is somewhat obscured by the window track. However, if can remove the door latch and perhaps you can see what is binding, etc. Be prepared that you may need to remove the handle and lock assembly to actually address the issue.

Attached are a few pics from my 365.

Cheers,

Sam

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I hand a similar situation. Not sure how it happened but turns out one of the pieces in the latch assembly was bent. Had to remove the assembly to fix it. Yes, it’s a real mofo to remove and install.

4. D.J

D.J Karting

Mar 17, 2015
    Perth WA
    I had a similar situation and found the plastic hexagonal nut from the key mech to the latch had unwound it self, wasn't easy to reach either.

5. TomTomGTA

TomTomGTA Rookie

Aug 28, 2012
    Luxembourg
    Full Name:
    Tom Mailliet
  6. TomTomGTA

TomTomGTA Rookie

Aug 28, 2012
    Luxembourg
    Full Name:
    Tom Mailliet
    Hello to all.
    So finally got around to taking the door apart. Easier than I thought!
    It was actually the little tie-rod that connects the door handle to the latch that had somehow lengthened itself and wouldn't let the mechanism lock when closed, the tolerances involved are quite narrow.
    The second issue seems that the door rubber is new and thus does not allow the little disk part in the latch to turn far enough when closed, so a slight adjustment of the striker plate and helping the rubber compress helped it. I guess over time when rubber gets a bit more used it will work better.

Thanks for the help!