Carplay to Air - Anyone tried? | FerrariChat

Carplay to Air - Anyone tried?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by XSpeed, May 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    Saw this but wasn't sure. Anyone tried? Does it work stable? Does it consume too much energy? Any thoughts?

https://carplay2air.com/

2. cpd1

cpd1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    C
    Bought one, shipping from China, will try on 812 and report back. Wife's X5 has wireless CarPlay, have to say it is pretty sweet

3. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    I asked and they said Ferrari Portofino not supported. Not sure about the rest as I only asked about mine

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    Did it work?

5. Matthew Davies

Jun 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    MattRD
    Bought one for a California T and can confirm that it does not work. Useless technical support from the manufacturer and they put every obstacle in your way to prevent you getting a refund. I would steer well clear but keen to hear whether anyone else had managed to get it working.

6. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I just ordered one for my new Alfa Romeo ... made the mistake of ordering the one for an Android phone instead of an iPhone, realized the mistake literally 30 seconds later, texted and emailed customer support, they got back to me two days later to say they would try to address, shipped the wrong one the next day anyway. Terrible service but the product works, on most cars.

If anyone wants one for an Android device, I have it coming, apparently :rolleyes:

Matt, if you had any success getting a refund, please let me know ... have not tried (yet). If yours is for an iPhone drop me a line, I might take it off your hands, be damned if I'll buy anything else from them.

7. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have the OEM carplay in my Cali T and find it very useful. Works great with Waze up GPS. Calls texts etc... I am plugged in and charging. Waze up etc are a heavy drain on the phone battery. Are you not going to have to plug phone to charge anyway?
    Thanks

8. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    The Alfa actually has a wireless charging pad in the console, so I can just slide the phone in there to charge and CarPlay will work wirelessly.

On the Cali, I don't think it works at all wireless, so you have to plug the phone in. It is pretty easy to forget and get out of the car without the phone if it's out of sight, out of mind.

SLViper1 likes this.
  9. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Hmm. I wrote to them and they responded in writing that if I have the factory Carplay in my '19 Porto, it should work. We'll see when it gets here. If it doesn't, I have another car that it should work in.

10. cpd1

cpd1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    C
    Only been a month since I ordered, apparently it was on a ship from China and cleared customs 10 days ago...
    Sounds like it was a waste of $150...
    I shall report back if it ever makes its way from China...

Ann likes this.
  11. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Mine says it made it to Kentucky on the 21st and is on its way to me. Maybe they wait until they have a certain number of orders and then ship them all at once. We shall see.

12. Gcsdave

Gcsdave Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2011
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ok mine arrived and works on the Portofino!
    Need to use it while driving but sound was ok google maps, Waze etc. I did check the firmware version of the device and it was up todate. It seems to use Bluetooth to pair then connects to the phone by creating a WiFi hotspot with the Ferrari CarPlay Id.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Excellent. I do wonder how the battery life of the phone will be, but for longer trips it'd be easy enough to just plug it in normally.

14. Gcsdave

Gcsdave Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2011
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have an Apple battery case on the 11 pro..
    Never run out no matter how much I hammer it

15. Gcsdave

Gcsdave Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2011
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It does have a usb socket on the end to act as a pass through for charging. For long trips could plug into that.

mlcor likes this.
  16. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    how is the stability?
    how is lag?

SLViper1 likes this.
  17. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Anyone using the Airplay on a Cali T?

18. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I believe -- and could be wrong -- that the head unit on the Cali T is an Android unit. The adapter I bought by mistake might work, or it might not, although their website says it works on Ferrari 2016 +. My Cali T did not come with Carplay so I don't think it will work at all in my case.

I'm going to put this one on eBay shortly ... at least it will save someone the lengthy shipping wait from China.

19. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    I wonder if it’s got anything to do with the USB port.

Here is a video of a guy replacing the USB and he gets CarPlay.

I had a look at parts. Could only find it under the FF but it seems the car USB socket is different for if you have car play or not.

Gets me thinking if this could apply to our F cars

Replace the socket and bam you have CarPlay on the head unit.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    I’m confused. If there is factory carplay then why would someone need the additional device to get carplay. Can you please clarify?

21. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    This one makes it wireless. So if your phone is in your bag, you get the Spotify and everything as if you connected it with the usb cable.

22. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Ah! Thanks

23. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Received mine, just hooked it up in my 2019 Porto. Paired with my iPhone, no problem, initial test seems to be working just fine. I'll give it some more testing tomorrow, but so far, so good.

Gcsdave likes this.
  24. JotaEle

JotaEle Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Smörg
    Any loss in qualityof streamed music?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Don't know yet, only briefly tried it to make sure it worked. I'll know more tomorrow when I take the car out for a longer drive. Honestly, though, I have the stock stereo which isn't the greatest system to decide on the quality...and I tend to listen to the engine more than the stereo. :)

I'll post again after tomorrow with a fuller view.

JotaEle likes this.