Leaking coolant | FerrariChat

Leaking coolant

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Glenn Lindgren, Jun 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Glenn Lindgren

Apr 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Glenn Lindgren
    I have a 1983 Ferrari 308 gtsi QV.
    I just notice that coolant is leaking I front of the car just behind the front tires. Below the windshield underneath.
    Does anyone know what that can mean? Bad he se or less loose clamp?
    Thanks.
    Glenn

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Perhaps heater boxes. Older cars have them there not sure about 308.

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    heater hose connection is right there.

4. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Yes, almost certainly an old heater hose has started leaking. Have your heater hoses ever been replaced? If not, then they're 37 years old... including the ~12 foot long hose from the engine, through the left side rocker panel, front wheel well, to the hose connection under the windshield.

Here's the Ferrari TAV diagram for the cooling system:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Hose 39 is the long one, but you should also be replacing ALL the heater hoses at the same time (41, 66, 50, 55, and more - and while you're in there (pulling new hoses through the rocker panel back to front), you should replace the brake booster hose which runs through alongside the heater hose).

Here's a photo of just the heater hoses I replaced in Dec 2013 when I did this job (the long hose is in 2 pieces in that photo):

There is a T connection buried deep under the windshield, that's the trickiest to get - the side hoses come from the two heater boxes, feeding into a single return line which connects to the lower radiator return line. To replace those side hoses, I duct taped new hose lengths to the heater box ends, then fed them forward while I kinked one hose to turn the tee connection and pull it forward. I could then finish pulling the new hoses forward, connect those to the tee, connect the return line, and replace the assembly deep under the windshield.

Picture of the tee connection, with new hoses duct-taped to old, and pulled forward:

Heater hoses to tee now connected, return line connected, ready to return the tee connection:

All the under-bonnet heater hoses replaced and bolted back in place (some hose clamps remainted to be tightened in this photo):

Spare wheel well back covering the brake master and booster and heater assemblies:

Milkshaker0007 likes this.