dried out foam in air conditioning system | FerrariChat

dried out foam in air conditioning system

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by [email protected], Jun 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DMeluzio@aol.com

Mar 23, 2008
    Guys, I own a 1988 Mondial that I bought when it was about 6 months old. It seems that I guess the foam in the air conditioning ducts has totally dried out. It blows this little dust particles ALL over. It makes a heck of a mess.I went for a ride this past weekend and even without the air on it still comes out the ducts. What the heck do I do??

2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro

I think from my 328 / 308 experience - the foam my actually be from the heater boxes - it gets old and just starts to flake off... so cold air passes through same tubes ... I used a shop vac to suck out as much as I could from those boxes which in the 328 are up front under the spare tire surround... Not sure where / how in the Mondial. I think what you lose is insulation for heat & cooling...

3. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I can say on the 328 it can be repaired. But the repair is costly because that heater box is not made to come apart. It has to be disassembled, the foam removed, the box reassembled and then it needs to be insulated.

4. DMeluzio@aol.com

Mar 23, 2008

5. DMeluzio@aol.com

Mar 23, 2008
    Thanks I will try vacuuming it first

6. DMeluzio@aol.com

Mar 23, 2008

7. DMeluzio@aol.com

Mar 23, 2008
    Thanks Gator, I may look into fixing it properly. I have owned the car for 32 years soit is not like i am getting rid of it! Thanks Don

8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think if I remember right - the boxes are riveted together... for some reason I remember the 308 you could actually take the top off... and when you look in it was a lot of disintegrated foam. it did not bother me until one time the foam flew right into my eyes as I was driving ... then you realize it is a problem. best of luck!

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Follow you air intake ducts to the "square box", not sure where it's located on the Mondial, in the 308 there's two.

This box DOES come apart, somehow, as inside is a foam air filter.
    The best way forward is to replace it with a brass screen media, as it's there for bugs, water and gravel from the road.

I really don't think any of those are going to travel very far in the system and enter the cockpit.
    Maybe someone reading can post the Mondial Parts Diagram, but the 4" x 4" x 4" box is pretty prominent under the front bonnet, in our cars.
    HTH

10. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I think this is right, it is riveted. So not a difficult job but costly.

11. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    yes. if I remember right its a pretty cheap looking set up. its like the cork tape on the AC system... if you buy from Ferrari its like $50 a ft... if you buy from a hobby shop ( HO RR track bed ... an entire box is like $20 with about 50'......

12. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I believe it’s the foam between the black vent on the dash and the air box. Mine fell apart when I looked at it. Carefully pry the vent from the dash and replace the foam with a suitable

13. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Marin Calif
    Interesting thread.
    I would like to know the end result. Removing and replacing the foam or a substitute, can the box be separated, short cuts.
    Wishing the OP best of luck.

14. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    PM me.
    I may have some of the Mondial Center Vent Foam Rebuilding kits available.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app