Portofino Dash cam | FerrariChat

Portofino Dash cam

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by carthusiast, Mar 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Hi folks, self installed my dash cam. Posting some pics for people who may be interested in this.

So I chose the thinkware u1000 for its parking mode features. I set up a Verizon jetpack hotspot in the car to send me cloud notifications. There is a radar module, it senses motion and depending in the settings you choose it sends notifications when you are not in your car.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

whatheheck and TraderASC like this.
  2. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    @carthusiast, would it be possible for you to share a few different photos of the setup? I was thinking about the U1000 instead of the Blackvue DR900S-2Ch (which I have on other cars), but the size of the system made me think twice from an aesthetics standpoint.

3. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Sure happy to. I’ll try to do it this week

4. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
  5. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Thank you! Just curious, whats the reason that you have a camera facing the interior? Is this for track days? Also from the drivers seat, is the position under the mirror out of sight of your view?

6. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    It was a difficult choice for mounting the rear camera. There is no mount that available for the rear (I spent about 2 months looking) so I mounted it to look at the sides and some of the rear. I have a Verizon internet source device for parking and a power source for the cam so it doesn’t chew up my battery (cellink neo). I have a decent view with the top up and a better view with the top down. In the future I may add more cameras

7. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    The front view of the road is un hindered with all those cameras and radar detectors

8. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    That totally makes sense! I completely forgot about the retracting roof! Thank you again so much for sharing.

I'm assuming the Cellink Neo is doing is job to protect the battery as the camera is connected to the Cellink and the Cellink is connected to an accessory fuse on the car.

9. MCAppe

MCAppe Rookie

May 10, 2016
    Care to share why you chose the U1000 and how happy you’ve been with it? Thanks just starting to look at one for my new Porto.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    May have been an overkill but I wanted the latest but also the one with great reviews. The reviews were excellent for the U1000. Has good cloud features and pic quality but I had to get an additional LTE for in-car use to be able to utilize the cloud features. Love the quality.

11. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Exactly! I first bought an OBD port but ferrari’s sense that and shut it off. Hence the cellink neo