Used FF versus new Audi RS6 Avante | FerrariChat

Used FF versus new Audi RS6 Avante

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by bobbyd, Jun 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Well with FF's approaching the $100K mark it overlaps with mainstream high end wagons and SUV's. Of the latter the upcoming Audi RS6 appears to be a real looker. I'm waiting for it's US introduction as I'm sure others on this board are as well.

Question is can the FF be used as regularly as the others and on a reasonable maintenance schedule?

An RS6 is likely to need minimal maintenance the first 50K miles. How about the FF over the same distance?

Anyone with enough experience to know?

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yes as long as ur ok with multi week downtimes every so often

3. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    No real expereince but they don't seem really comparable. While you could daily drive an FF (and I knew some people do), the Ferrari dealers won't be able to support that if something goes wrong. They generally expect that its a weekend car and you won't be too upset to not have it for a week or two. While the FF is the "stealthiest" of the Ferrari's, its way more flashy than any Audi, even an RS6. Depends on what buisness you're in, but you may not want that visbility for your daily driver.

Also, although the uprfront purchase price is about the same, the insurance, maintence and repair cost is likely to be wildly different. The FF is pretty reliablie, but it does have the potential to have a 5 figure repair pop up.

That being said, the FF is gonna sound and drive a helluva alot better.

4. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    The RS6 is perfect but the FF is magic!

stavura, Bas and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  5. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    NO comparison! I DD my FF

m5shiv and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  6. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
  7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Nah get an ff and a jeep for when the ff goes in...

Bamsefar, Bas, Robb and 2 others like this.
  8. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I daily drive my ff

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ScottS and m5shiv like this.
  9. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    RS6 = brunette in front row of class, capable, reliable, boring. Good at maths.

FF = late because she was finishing her cigarette. Back row. Tats and fake boobs,

it comes down to personal choice

JHNurse, ScottS, AhsanU and 3 others like this.
  10. DavidRS4

DavidRS4 Karting

Oct 12, 2019
    I daily drive my FF, I used to be a big Audi person. It’s two very different animals. The RS6 is fast and can haul things and can be fun. The FF is fast and can haul things and is always a ton of fun... except when it is in the shop. Which for me was ~2.5 weeks over the 9 months I have had it.

I would get a FF hands down, nothing is quite like a Ferrari.

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    hahaha

ScottS likes this.
  12. Darkshear

Darkshear Karting

Mar 31, 2019
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Kalon Dillon
    I'm also eyeing the RS6 Avant. They're both obviously incredibly capable cars, the tech in the RS6 is lovely, but if you're talking pre-owned FF versus brand new RS6--you're going to lose a small fortune on the RS6 over three years. The FF probably not so much as you're entering after the depreciation curve. All things being equal, a new RS6 will cost you more money over three years than a used FF will. I'm betting $125k MSRP range for that Audi (after options)--a 55% residual at best, that's a HUGE kick in the balls to take over 3 years. Far more than a $1,000 oil change on the FF. But like others said, be prepared to be without the FF for a couple weeks if parts are needed. Mine went in yesterday for PTU oil line leak, I'll be lucky to see it before end of next week.

I am a sucker for wagons which is one reason among many I love the FF, but when I exit the FF, if I can't afford a V12 Lusso, I'll be looking on the pre-owned market for that RS6 Avant. Unless BMW gets off their high horse and makes the F90 M5 wagon; probably a pipe dream :(

350MH83 likes this.
  13. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Went in to the dealer with the FF for the annual service at the beginning of this month and was told about the need to replace the seal on the DCT case and that would take a week. Oh well, just for a week so no biggie, right? So I drove back in a rental car. After a week, I was told one part cannot be located and that would take one week to be sourced across the big pond. The part finally arrived and as the repair was about to start, another part outside DCT case was found to be necessary. So that took a few more days and finally the repair has commenced.

So here I am still driving the rental car after 2.5 weeks and hopefully I can pick up the FF before 4th of July weekend. Well, can't complain as this is the first downtime since the speed sensor replacement at around 16K miles...and it has been going strong without a hiccup as it approaches 50K miles, with >95% cruising at highway speed. It's a fantastic GT for long distance and nearly all occasions. From now on, I plan to book a rental car at the monthly rate at the time of annual service...and hopefully I can return the rental car, as before, after just 2-3 days.

14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Panamera Sport Turismo Turbo S (*hybrid?) not mentioned yet...?

15. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    You need to drive a daily V12 Ferrari (FF) once in your life...otherwise it is not complete ;-).... you can always get RS6 after... and remember these sweet memories of daily driving a naturally breathing V12 Ferrari....

Offcourse an RS6 is far more practical and usable...but there will allways be that 'what if...'

16. PhilaChris

PhilaChris Rookie

Mar 6, 2019
    I daily my FF. About 30k miles in a year. The only unplanned downtime was a couple weeks for the PTU. But I was banking on that happening when I purchased.

I’m thinking about what to replace it with in a year. And while the Audi, AMG wagon and Panamera are on the short list, I think it’ll end up being a Lusso.

also, The dealer is aware it’s my daily and works really hard to take care of me quickly for minor/regular stuff.

17. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

30k a year? Wow! How many miles you got now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. PhilaChris

PhilaChris Rookie

Mar 6, 2019

Around 50k Miles now. Never left me stranded. Though it does eat front tires and rims in the winter...

stavura and Darkshear like this.
  19. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Legend!

20. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I also use my FF as a DD except for short trips to the supermarket and during winter time (if the road is covered with road salt and gravel).
    Since I also have an Infiniti SUV and a 4 door Lexus Estate, I can tell that the FF ist really practical and usable (and every springtime I just can't wait to get back behind the wheel of my BELLA).

21. baguns

baguns Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    This. Mine is a semi DD. If you’re worried about the maintenance buy it from a dealer with 1-2 year warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeoBRK likes this.
  22. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Did anyone here get an allocation for an rs6?

23. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    #23 Beta Scorpion, May 14, 2022
    Last edited: May 14, 2022
    I got a 2022 a few months ago. Started snowing right away, so was in storage until now. Got black on black to match my black testarossa. But have not had a chance to photograph the two of them together. I'm sold on the 4WD and 4W steering. I can't see utility in more than 450HP driving only the rear wheels. Too much risk of spinning out. The 4WD and 4W steering make this thing drive like some kind of ground effect is sucking it down (though it has none of the such).

I was choosing between the RS6 and Ferrari California. Went with the Audi because I have a local dealer and full service warranty (not available with new Ferrari in my area), it has to sit out side and be a daily driver, which I'd rather not do with a Ferrari. Maybe I'll get one of the newer Ferraris when more garage space opens up.
    My older Ferraris have become somewhat of garage queens, due to their age and increased value lately.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11 and JHNurse like this.
  24. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Doesn’t matter what they look like in class……..

I mean I tried to get one but did not want to wait for the allocation.

FF/Lusso for me

What is the PS in this hypothetical class?

25. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    I own and daily both an Audi RS7 and Merc AMG E63s. The Audi is just plain boring to drive; I bought one because the deal was so good, I can get resell it at a profit…. The Merc is just sooooo much better to drive. The engine feels meatier (but do get a software tune!), the suspension is one the best ever on a saloon as the three settings are just spot on and lastly, steering is bang on, you can point and shot with the Merc; the Audi suffers from Audi’s very wobbly steering. You turn the wheel yet nothing happens!

Haven’t dailied an GTC or FF (did with 812) So tougher to compare. The saloon’s are more comfortable to drive; especially during our EU winter and autumn….