Overheating 308 | FerrariChat

Overheating 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by ollie2010, Jul 30, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ollie2010

ollie2010 Karting

Jul 26, 2011
    Sherman Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The other day in LA traffic my temps started rising. I pulled over ASAP but not before steam flooded out of the expansion tank. I checked oil and it looks good, refilled the radiator. Hoping I avoided major calamity. Car drives great but hoping someone can tell me what else to check before doing any further damage. Taking it in this week to see why it is overheating.

2. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    First check to see if your fans are comming on. If not it could be something as simple as a Relay.
    Or the fan could have burned up.

Overheating in traffic is usually a fan not helping the cooling.

But it could be something else

3. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    check the cap on the expansion tank
    could be bad

Wade

4. ollie2010

ollie2010 Karting

Jul 26, 2011
    Sherman Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I will check the fan. They don't seem to be coming on. Expnsio. Cap is holding. Steam coming from the overflow hose.

Any worries about damage I could have caused? Oil seems fine. So hope no head gasket damage.

5. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Check the relay and it also could be a faulty fan temp sensor at the bottom of the radiator that tells the fans to kick on. You can jump the wiring to see if the fans are working and determine if it is the radiator fan sensor.

That part is cheap and is cross referenced to a VW rabbit part from the 80's.

Here is a thread on the subject.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295793

6. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    #6 phrogs, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
    I wouldn't worry about the headgasket just yet, If you were able to get it turned off quickly I think you will be fine. But we were not there.

I know my fans craped out on me and I over heated it once the car was Blowing through the overflow tube and just waited for it to cool.

Added coolant and limped it home I then found that the fans were not running and it was the damn $20 relay I also changed my expansion tank cap to a new one.

7. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
  8. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Thought I'd add to this thread.
    The car was running fine after sorting an overheating issues like 2 years ago.
    Did a full fluid change very early Spring & installed the petcock drain under the front radiator (mental note - check - I think I heard it rattling against the floor pan)
    Ran the car, she was fine.
    The other day, some bad accident/incident on Rt 80 shut down 4 lanes of an 8 lane highway & traffic was backed up for 2 miles with nowhere to get off.
    I noticed the car was running hot (235ish) It was 85 and high humidity. But normally she doesn't run that hot. radiator recored 2 years ago, Aladdin radiator autobleeders have been working flawlessly, but I turned on the blower & heater to full as I inched forward in a parking lot of cars praying to the Ferrari gods I didn't have to pull over to let her cool down. Besides emergency vehicles were running up & down the shoulder so nowhere to pull over.

I did make it home and since the fluid change was the last thing I did, I figured check the system for air. Sure enough, she had that bloated feeling. Lots of air out of the front radiator. The auto-air bleeder didn't work for some reason.
    First time I've had trouble with it. Perhaps the system sucked in air when I removed it (when cool). but I re-bled it, let it idle & she didn't go above 210 where she should be with both fans running full-tilt. I'll have to check the engine elbow for air & then take her out to see how she is.
    Those valves are good for 3 years. Perhaps they are tired.

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Auto bled valves can get stuck to the seat- soak it in vinegar to see if it cleans it. Or try the liquid cleaner they use to de scale an iron.