First Ferrari and first post! | FerrariChat

First Ferrari and first post!

Discussion in '360/430' started by Brandon Marshall, Jun 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brandon Marshall

Jun 27, 2020
    Oak Ridge NC
    Full Name:
    Brandon Marshall
    New to the forum, just want to say hello! Just bought my first Ferrari. 2005 F430 18k miles. Have to say I love it, although, I only drove it 100miles home and then it went straight to shop. ( my luck ) multiple codes, misfire and slow down light. Nonetheless, maybe I’ll have it back soon!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SirPouyan

SirPouyan Karting
    BANNED

Oct 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    SirPouyan
    Bummer about the shop, but the car is certainly beautiful.

3. Brandon Marshall

Jun 27, 2020
    Oak Ridge NC
    Full Name:
    Brandon Marshall
    Yes, huge bummer considering Ferrari dealership is saying the F1 pump is leaking internally, need to pull unit and send up north to have rebuilt, 10-12k Ha! Maybe I’ll get to drive it in couple months lol!

4. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    That’s always my luck when I buy a used car - ANY car! At least you know everything will be up to date and ready to go when they are done.

Beautiful car!

5. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
  6. PKIM

PKIM Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    Redlands
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Congrats, car looks wonderful. Once you get it all worked out your going to love the car! I hope the dealer is going to pay for the repairs.

7. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    My understanding is that you don't rebuild the F1 pump you replace it. For 10-12K you should be able to get a brand new F1pump.

8. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    No ppi prior to purchase?... or was this issue simply not noticed? Either way.. it’s fixable.

Sweet ride

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

kes7u likes this.
  9. basscase415

basscase415 Karting

Jun 10, 2017
    CA
    $12k would make significant headway towards a manual swap.

And the cost of a swap would likely be offset by increased demand should you sell. Personally I'd pay more for a well-documented, quality swap than a stock F1.

Mimmo Blue and kes7u like this.
  10. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    Confused on the F1 pump, I thought those were relatively cheap from an independent or part source. 12k seems extremely high?

VAF84 likes this.
  11. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Probably talking about f1 actuator

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

12. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Replace the battery and follow the reset procedure, will solve most if not all of your issues. (My 06 acted that way after being shipped with the battery switch off) If the car had that many issues I would think seller would know?

13. wiley355

wiley355 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Wiley
    Congrats! Beautiful example. Sorry to hear about the issues, but after you work through the problems you will enjoy it!

14. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Congratulation Brandon, what a beautiful car.

Sorry to hear about that so soon, but try and post to us more details of what’s going on.
    10k-12k it’s very easily possible they could be taking you for a ride. Will try and help you if you can give us more details.

Check Scuderiacarparts.com, It can give you an idea what parts should cost.

15. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Brandon. Could you give us more of the history before buying the car? Private or dealer seller? PPI, no PPI. Had it been sitting a long time before you bought it? Fair price given the hit that you are now taking? Maybe it was just a matter of very bad luck?

16. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Congratulations!
    Sorry about your luck with F1.
    At least it didn’t quit on the drive home.

You have a beautiful car, you will be driving again soon

17. Brandon Marshall

Jun 27, 2020
    Oak Ridge NC
    Full Name:
    Brandon Marshall
    Thanks a bunch for all of your replies!!! I would click quote on all of you guys but that would take forever. I wasn’t very clear in my first post so I will try and answer each of you in my response....
    I bought the car from an individual who had it on consignment at a non Ferrari dealership. He did a ppi when he bought the car 2 years ago. He has put 180 miles on it since ppi. I spoke with the guy who did the inspection and he gave me the report. I didn’t feel the need to do it again( bad idea) So, while driving it home, about 40 miles into trip, normal cruising speed, check engine light begins the flash, then goes solid. At the same time, I had a Yellow slow down light. Barely made it to an exit. I cut it off, gave it 5 minutes and started it back. Ran fine but still had check engine light. Made it home 50 miles later..pulled codes, had misfire on every cylinder as well as system lean off idle bank 2. Friday morning I dropped it off at Foreign Cars Italia in Greensboro NC. Before the tech even got it inside he called me and said the F1 pump was running constantly. He found oil level to be high which he said was causing the misfires....did a leak down test on F1 system. Pressurizes to 51 bar at idle the. Drops to 38 within a minute or 2. Soooooo, that’s as far as they got last week. This week, they are pulling the actuator with 2 outcomes according to them...
    1: the bleed screws are loose which is allowing a pressure drop.
    2: if bleed screws are tight, they don’t do anything other than remove whole system and send to New Jersey to a shop there that rebuilds the unit.
    So yes, the guy who actually owned the car is going to pay for the majority of the repair which I very much appreciate as he doesn’t have to do anything.
    I got the car at a good deal IMO. Maybe you guys could tell me what I should have paid lol. According to the Ferrari dealership, they said everything else looks great!
    I think I covered everyone’s questions, if not let me know....
    Switching to manual is not even on my radar.

Texas Forever likes this.
  18. Brandon Marshall

Jun 27, 2020
    Oak Ridge NC
    Full Name:
    Brandon Marshall
    Also, I will add that not an ounce of me thinks the owner knew. He has been very helpful and feels horrible about it. Adamant to pay for it.

tres55 and jag-oo-r like this.
  19. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
    There are some good souls in this world - glad you’re dealing with one of them.

Welcome to the Ferrari Family!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

jag-oo-r likes this.
  20. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    That is good news. Very good news. Looks like all will end well.

21. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    If misfiring because of oil overfill, the intake plenum will have to be open and cleaned-up good...

brookliner7 likes this.
  22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Actuator rebuild is usually ~$3K, but that does not include pulling it, shipping it, reinstalling, filling, bleeding, and self testing.

The new battery idea is definitely valid.

23. Brandon Marshall

Jun 27, 2020
    Oak Ridge NC
    Full Name:
    Brandon Marshall

24. Brandon Marshall

Jun 27, 2020
    Oak Ridge NC
    Full Name:
    Brandon Marshall
    Oops did that wrong, how could battery cause pump to run all the time?

25. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brandon- Likely would not. You said you had a lot of other lamps, too, was what we were thinking the battery might cure. The pump on continuously would be caused by the F1 pump relay fusing. 2005s had an older design F1 pump that had a hard time powering both the F1 system and the E-Diff. That pump was upgraded later in production.