When will the SF90 first published test be out? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

When will the SF90 first published test be out?

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by Igor Ound, Oct 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Yes, that's a good point. From these first tests, it also sounds like they have properly sorted out the handling and braking which I wasn't expecting to be good with all that weight. So, yes, all the elements except the V12 seems to be there.

2. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    In regards to the sound...

I'm laughing in F40.

amenasce and leopoldo like this.
  3. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I wonder if it sounds much different from the F40 with a stock exhaust outside? Inside, the lack of sound insulation make the F40 quite loud at high revs, and you can clearly here the turbos/wastegate operating. In my Pista spider with the same basic V8 turbo setup as the SF90 with the hood down, the loudness is not so different to the F40, as I remember it.

4. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    It makes the sound of silence.

5. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    Thecadster and jpalmito like this.
  6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Thecadster likes this.
  7. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    You have to click on the next tab labeled “driving” to read the driving impressions.

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Ah. Missed that. Thanks!;)

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9nb likes this.
  9. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    No problem! It’s odd how they have the page setup.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Really surprised. TG has not been very positive about the SF90. So I suppose that it is a big plus they ended up liking it this much. Really excited about the fact that it is not only described as hiding its weight very well, but also having a fairly neutral set up. Looks like they have come away from the annoying understeer the 458, 488 and most other modern Ferraris suffer from. This has added significantly to my impatience:D lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

of2worlds likes this.
  11. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    More clicks, more views, more ads served, more revenue.

9nb, of2worlds and Thelovelyrock18 like this.
  12. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Solid review. The performance is astonishing. Here’s a section in the article that nails it:

Inevitably you’re left to wonder what an SF90 would be like shorn of its hybrid hardware and powered instead by an evolution of the 812 Superfast’s naturally aspirated 789bhp V12. Yes, this is missing the point somewhat – especially as it would still be too fast! – but there’s little doubt such a car would offer a more visceral and emotionally charged driving experience. As it stands, the SF90 Stradale is an extraordinary driving machine, but one which leaves you questioning whether the application of such mind-blowing technology is taking us further from where we really want to be.

I could be wrong, but were this same car decontented of the gadgetry, made more raw (think F40 rawness), the hybrid swapped for the 812 V12, and the weight reduced 300kg, would it be more popular or less popular? I get the emission, mileage, noise restrictions, etc. This is just a thought exercise.

13. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    My guess would be it would be far more popular with Ferrari/car enthusiasts but less appealing to younger non car enthusiasts who can afford such a car (think of the stereotypical Silicon Valley millionaire). Obviously broad brush and all, and merely guesses.

TMO98000, Caeruleus11 and jpalmito like this.
  14. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    It would be wildly popular......on the forums and in real world sell exactly 10 cars. Just look at the Manual Gearbox sales in Ferraris during the 2000s.
    Ferrari has made exactly the car people buying them new want. I am quite sure that Ferrari will sell every one of the 2000 or so SF90S it has planned to produce.

SVR, Il Co-Pilota and Dela like this.
  15. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T

<F40 Icona has entered the chat> ;)

16. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Indeed, but the interesting part of the SF90 is the relative availability. Icona will be reserved for the group that I am not a part of.

17. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    Without question it would be far more popular. Older enthusiast and millennials alike have been asking for a modern day Testarossa for years. A direct competitor to the Aventador. That’s exactly what you just described. The car would be oversubscribed like nothing we’ve seen before at the $500k price point. Flippers would go crazy. Playboys would have a field day with their straight pipes in Knightsbridge and on Rodeo. It’s literally the car everyone has been begging Ferrari to make for years.

Unfortunately, as you mentioned, it is now 2020 and Greta has ruined the party for everyone. Ferrari was about 5 years too late to this party and its a shame.

With that said, at least the SF90 is still a pretty insane car. It gets me excited, albeit not so much as a V12. I’m sure it’s an absolute event to drive, something many claim is missing from the F8.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    the HP wars still aren't over yet, there are still many people who enjoy having a more powerful car than others

when the SF90 is replaced it'll require 1100hp or something to be attractive to young buyers

it's absurd imo, the 458 still scares the crap out of me down a twisty road!

saying that, I drove a Veyron many years ago and though also on paper completely insane, to drive just made so much sense

x z8 and Ale55andr0 like this.
  19. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Ferrari Spa
    T

20. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Isn't that basically what the rumours suggest the F167 to be ...?

21. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    Probably will be limited production if they do it. At this point, I don’t even know if the SF90 is limited production. It may not be limited in production, but more so limited in demand. They could easily sell 10,000 mid-engine V12’s, just as Lambo has done with the Aventador. I doubt that that will be the case with the SF90.

22. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Not sure I follow your logic here... so if you want to put it that way of course everything in the world is limited. There are no cars with unlimited demand and never will be.

23. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I think what he meant to say is that it is not limited to a certain number but more like the Pista or the 812GTS where it is time limited and maybe the goal is not to market this car the way a F8 or a Portofino is marketed.