F8 - Drove the F8...really really want to love it, but.... | FerrariChat

F8 Drove the F8...really really want to love it, but....

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ngcanada, Jun 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Well, I went to my Ferrari dealer who is about 1 1/2hrs away in my 2015 458 Italia which I have owned for a little more than three years. Love this car as it does all the things I need, visceral sound in and out, looks etc.
    My dealer arranged for a test drive on the new F8 Tributo which is actually just the way I would spec the car. All options I would order including the passenger display. First off, this test drive was a long one. About 1 hour plus of me driving the car on the city streets and highway. Then, at one point I pulled off in an industrial area and asked my salesman to hop into the drivers seat and do an abundance of stops and goes, hard acceleration and drivebys, as well as slowing down on the gear changes to a stop towards me, all the while with my camera video taping.
    This car is explosive, incredible rush of power, very well planted to the ground in race mode. I went from a stop hard and its mind blowing the acceleration of this car compared to my 458. I was amazed on how the traction is superb. On the highway, third and fourth gear hard pulls was eye popping. Then, I could not believe how easy it is to daily drive the F8, very luxurious as far as ride goes. Driving the 458 is like an event all the time.
    The looks department, the car is gorgeous from the rear, the front has not grown on me yet. The interior has some nice upgrades and changes as well.
    The sound inside the car, well, it is pretty good. Though, I am not used the spool up of the turbos, and not sure I like that,. it is in no way any comparison to the 458. So, I am wanting to think that I could get used to it. On the outside, when I was driving down the very populated lunch time crowd, barely anyone notice the car approaching, only if I ended up directly beside them did the car red Ferrari get noticed. I am used to crowds turning their heads a block away as I approach in the 458 which is stock, only with a Capristo Valve controller. I feel that a high end exotic should put on an attitude when approaching your destinations. This F8 does not.
    I am really wanting to love the new F8, which is leaps ahead in the technology department and power than my 458. I want to order the car and be done with it. But, I am petrified that I will simply not get used to it and I will be continually convincing myself that I did the right thing and buy the F8 to replace the 458. Yes, it is faster, more refined, but for some reason, this does not matter right now. I do not see the delta in price to pay to buy this car that will NOT make me happy and only be buying it to be the new kid on the block so to speak.
    I feel like Ferrari is supposed to be a car that sparks emotions and adrenaline in ways no other car can replicate. The F8, is to me, very Maclaren, Aston etc. Just no tickling of the senses that I need.
    I am in no way bashing the car, and for those of you that ordered and received the new F8, I admire you as you are capable of forgetting the 458 and be happy with the F8. I guess, I am trying to convince myself through all of you, but so far, nothing. Not even the long test drive could convince me. First world problems I guess.
    I left the dealer in the 458 and immediately, all the things that really matter to me in what a Ferrari should do, were oh so evident. Damn it, I guess I will wait for now.

2. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    For same price as a new F8, the 458 Speciale beckons...have you considered?

Or....a pre-owned 812 would be in the same price group...however, will not likely attract that visual attention you mention...

3. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I'll second that. Try a Speciale. It's a blast.

Bhh, sampelligrino, Clay512TR and 2 others like this.
  4. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    #4 soulsea, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    No matter what other Ferrari or other sports car I buy in the future, I don't see myself ever selling the 458S.

There will be plenty of beautiful and awesome stupid fast cars moving forward, the F8 is certainly one of them, but none will be as appealing as I find the 458 to be to all my senses.

The Speciale is a good suggestion, and if you decide to revisit the F8 why not wait a couple of months and you'll be able to get a barely used Pista for the same price as a new F8.

Bhh, docf and Clay512TR like this.
  5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    So it sounds like you didn't like what you saw/drove.
    Don't buy one.
    Keep the 458.
    I guess if I have to be 'convinced' that I should buy something, particularly a Ferrari, I shouldn't buy it. Simple.

paulchua, Rick Weston, SVR and 2 others like this.
  6. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I completely understand your comments. After several F-8 and 812 test drives, the sound and overall experience kept drawing me towards the 812. Do I miss my 488, yes but fading as time goes on.

Thecadster and Autolove like this.
  7. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    This was my first plan, but was not sure about spending 550K Canadian for a 5 yr old car, but I think this is exactly where my thoughts went after the F8 drive, I am going to start looking for the right Speciale possibly

Clay512TR and JTSE30 like this.
  8. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    This was another thought I had as well, 812SF may be the only option as far as tickling my senses and having a shiny brand new toy.

Thecadster, Autolove and JTSE30 like this.
  9. kansas488

kansas488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2014
    Kansas
    I've noticed lately that it just seems like the draw for the latest generation Ferrari cars is more about power/speed and overall refinement. But styling-wise, which I understand is subjective, I am struggling post-Pininfarina. Same with sound. I don't think anyone would argue the new turbo cars sound remotely as good as the NA cars. When you are spending this much money, the lust has to be there in my opinion. Otherwise you'll be selling it in no time for a nice loss.

I love my Speciales and agree with others - won't get rid of them anytime soon, especially the Aperta. They feel smaller, more nimble and the sound is epic. No quesiton, the Pista feels faster, but I don't find myself calling the Speciales slow :)

I love the styling of the F12 generation better than the 812, but I must say I love the new tech and further refinement of the 812 for a GT car. I'm fortunate- I can keep both (812 and F12) but most days I grab the 812. The F12 TDF is more of a true collector car for me.

The Pista at first had such an aggressive/exotic front end that I loved. But after time it has worn off and feels so much busier than the 458-gen. If it weren't for the fact my Pista is Blu Electrico which is a truly stunning color, I would sell it and just stick with Speciales, F12 TdF and 812. Don't need any more power and 812 vs 458 are so very different which is great.

If you love your 458, I would keep it and I would add either an F12 or 812 as a nice compliment. The front engine V12 cars are so effortless with their power. It is stunning. I took a regular F12 Berlinetta on a rally last fall and I just loved it so much.

I'm with you though - The F8 looks (and the SF90) are just not my cup of tea. Too aero-focused and too bland for my taste. If you must have a Turbo Ferrari, I agree with those above - buy a used Pista. Again - nice contrast to your 458. But if you don't have (or have never had) a V12 Ferrari, I highly recommend it!!!!

Good luck!

10. kansas488

kansas488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2014
    Kansas
    One other observation - sometimes I am tempted to add a 458 Italia because I do think it sounds better than the Speciale (less droning). In that case I would add a classic red/beige 458 Italia with silver wheels and probably not feel like I was missing anything in the Speciale other than by those in the know :). Cars are such an amazing addiction!

dustman and Eilig like this.
  11. CChung

CChung Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003
    Southern California
    If I was coming from a 458, I probably wouldn’t consider upgrading to the F8. For the price delta the sound is too disappointing and the looks too similar compared to the 458. I’m coming from a 6MT 430, which I sold about a year ago, and am looking into getting into something new. After the dealer showed me the F8 in person and seeing many videos I’ve got to admit I don’t have that “must have” feeling one should get buying a $300K+ Ferrari. My 6MT 430 was still fun to drive and the sound never disappointed, even after over 11 years of owning it. I’m also concerned the paddle shifting will get boring after awhile as I’m a firm believer that a manual is more fun if you’re just going to drive the car on weekends and no track usage. But that’s open for debate. I’m therefore reluctant to sell my 991.1 GTS as it sounds good and is a manual but doesn’t have no where the looks of the F8. If only I had the garage space. I wish I wasn’t coming from a 430, or even my GTS, so I would think the F8 sound was adequate. But it’s time to try something new and hopefully the sound and paddle shifting will grow on me.

racerdj and kansas488 like this.
  12. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The Ferrari dual clutch is a dream I don’t think that part will get boring. Get just the big carbon paddles.

13. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    There are others of us who feel exactly same as you. Spot on. Great overview/assessment. Thank you for sharing.

Clay512TR likes this.
  14. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Plus changing the exhaust on a f8 is not easy like on 488/458 to get that aural sense

15. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If you’re willing to drop $350k on a new F8 spend $400k and get a Pista. If not keep the 458.

09Scuderia and TheMayor like this.
  16. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Simple fix by adding IPE full system on your Speciale

Sent from my 16M

17. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    To me, as a 2013 458 spider owner, it is hard not to be biased.
    The chassis (aluminum backbone) is still circa late 1990s from 360. McLaren and even Corvette have moved the game on in terms of structural rigidity.
    Additionally, every Ferrari I purchased new I did with the idea that I may not be able to do it (purchase new) again. So, my spider still holds personal value to me.
    However, I am not blind to how things have changed. Be it styling or performance for better or worse.
    Unless you have to have a car that you personally spec, it is my opinion that you will be able to buy a heavily optioned car for lots less than you would pay buying it new.
    My advice would be as follows: wait for F8s to drop in price so delta that much lower. Then perhaps you can better feel if it is "worth" it to change cars.
    For those that think the F8 will hold its value for quite some time, I am sorry to say that it already is on the re-sale market at MSRP. McLaren in NC has one on their website to back up my comment.
    Best

Sav35, Wikdstrate and SVR like this.
  18. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Thanks for the detailed explanation and truly admire your experience with some incredible cars. I will get my head into this and start the search and see which one really sings to me. Thanks all for the responses and it feels good that I am not the only one griping about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I realize none of you are capable of seeing cars as I do, nor am I capable of seeing them the way you do. I mean no disrespect to OP or anyone else but, but what would be the purpose of buying a new machine when the old machine serves the purpose you have for it very well. There will always be something faster, newer, with more tech, but what does it gain you. Bragging rights, more looks, not sure about the roads in your areas, but around here the extra power is a waste. I often advise people who want to modify their cars, first thing I tell them is if you cant handle the car in stock form with traction controls off don't do anything to it until you can. My guess is that there are probably a fairly small percentage of owners that could handle their cars with no help from the nannies, and even less that can push the car to its limits with them off. I'm sure we all like to think we are great drivers, I was one once, but age catches up to us all. There is a 650HP 2118lb beast that started life as a 997S (with a half of million invested in it), it has no traction controls and it will kill you if you are not paying attention at all times. It is my reality check, I used to be able to slide it around a corner and bring it back under control with ease, not so much anymore. I have said the 458 will be my last Ferrari (it is number 8), and when my skills no loner allow me to drive it without traction controls, I will probably say goodbye to it, because for me everything must have a purpose, and if its purpose is gone, so is the machine. I realize your emotions probably will still be what drives you to make these decisions (which sometimes I envy other times I say I'm glad I don't have to deal with that), but you might save yourselves a lot of money if you just use a little logic, and fact before you decide to buy.

20. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Very well said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    So true,

22. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I noticed a F8 at my local non-Ferrari dealer yesterday. Had delivery miles. Owner is listing it at MSRP but expects it will go for less.

Randyslovis likes this.
  23. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Glad you test drove it. Imagine after 350k, then you feel petrified. Then it won't be called petrified anymore.

24. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    2019 812 without the filter.

technom3, spyderman and JTSE30 like this.
  25. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    paddle shifting will grow on you.