575 Fiorano Shock Absorber advice | FerrariChat

575 Fiorano Shock Absorber advice

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by nicklondon, Jun 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nicklondon

nicklondon Rookie

May 21, 2013
    London
    Dear All,

I have searched for the questions I have with no luck so forgive me if it’s been covered.

I have a suspension light on my 575 and the ride is now rock solid (apparently it’s a safety feature). Anyway, I’ve had someone plug the computer in and it has come up with an error 5203/C1203 Rh Rear Valve. They have advised that I need a new RH rear shock absorber.

having inspected it, there doesn’t seem to be any leaks but of course there’s much more to the shock than just that.. So I’m stumped as I’m gobsmacked at how expensive the shock is (and I’m not sure how keen I am on a used one). Can anyone offer any advise, can they perhaps be refurbished? I believe it’s a Sachs part which everyone says in indestructible, but of course just my luck.. My car is an ‘03 575 with a FHP.

Many Thanks in advance!

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    FHP shocks are the same as vanilla 575M shocks. Bad news is if you replace one shock, you really should replace both on that axle. Seems like there was someone recently in the US doing Sachs shocks. Anyone remember, besides PSI? ZF Race Engineering in Germany claims to be able to rebuild Sachs shocks. Might be worth a call.

https://aftermarket.zf.com/go/en/sachs/products/cars-and-vans/sachs-performance/repair-service/

PSI, Performance Shock Inc, claims to rebuild Sachs shocks, too.

https://performanceshock.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_772&products_id=4071&zenid=91d8656886315578749638197410dd51

3. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Nick as Taz says it’s rare to hear of a 575 shock failing. Because of that I would easily consider used if price is a factor. Would want to see a pic at minimum of condition and see if they had any history on the car it was removed from. I would guess that if you bought from a major vendor they would stand behind it at least for a short time to be sure it’s good. If it works properly initially you should get lots of life out of it providing it didn’t have huge mileage to begin with. Eurospares offers new and used currently, no affiliation other than a customer of theirs.
    Bill
    FL

4. nicklondon

nicklondon Rookie

May 21, 2013
    London
    Thanks guy - yes it looks like I have little choice but to replace or refurb it. I’ve inspected it myself to the best of my capability and it looks absolutely perfect no leaks, nothing, and the car has done 30,000 miles (no history of a new shock). Do you think there’s a possibility it’s something more simple that an entire shock? Maybe I can do something with the electrics to reset the suspension? Thinking out loud here, so forgive my ignorance! Thanks

5. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Nick, sent you a PM yesterday (started a conversation). Should be noted upper right corner of your screen if you are logged in. Just FYI.
    Bill
    FL

6. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Please let us know what you end up doing.

I am curious what is wrong with the shock (if you do replace, please don't throw it away!)

7. nicklondon

nicklondon Rookie

May 21, 2013
    London
    I definitely won't be throwing the shock away! I will keep you updated. Bill, thank you for your message, I have responded. I just can't believe that the whole thing needs replacing when it looks borderline new still. I'm used to much older cars without all the electrical gremlins and I've seen what a tired shock absorber looks like... I find it difficult to see someone plug in a computer for two minutes and tell me this is your problem without even an inspection. They just try to turn the fault off and it reappears, for me I'm afraid that doesn't constitute a diagnosis.

8. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I have the original coilovers from my 575 available. Just sent you a message.

9. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    isn't there a servo on the top of the shocks (like the 550s) to account for the suspension settings? if so, that is likely what is wrong

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Henry- Affirmative, but it is not an add on like it is on a 550 Bilstein shock.

11. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Just curious Nick what you ended up doing.