Potential New F430 Owner | FerrariChat

Potential New F430 Owner

Discussion in '360/430' started by w0rtw0rt, Jun 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. w0rtw0rt

w0rtw0rt Karting

Jun 21, 2020
    Jefferson, GA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lawson
    Well guys, I just joined recently. I have a friend who is a part of this group and have been going to Ferrari of Atlanta with my wife's Maserati for about a year now. I am finally going to be taking the plunge to purchase an F430. Through the grapevine, I heard that Ron Roenicke was the guy to have check out any potential purchases so I have Ron looking at one (possibly) today:

Black F430 Spyder from Team One Motorcars. I am sure some of you around the Atlanta area have seen that one floating around and it was pretty popular on Bringatrailer.

Any tips for a new (potential) owner? I am still pretty young all things considered but love my cars and this is up there on my bucket list of things to do during life. I am extremely fortunate to be able to do so now.

JRE likes this.
  2. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco

Yes, here are the 2 biggest tips you could get.

1. Do the maintenance on time. The 430 drive train is incredibly reliable and robust but you'll get into trouble if you try to skimp out.

2. Drive it often and don't worry about all the small stuff. Don't let this absolutely incredible experience turn into a stressful one. Don't go down rabbit holes of ownership. Don't create problems that don't exist. However great the driving experience is, it's just a car. You're probably paying sub 100k for it, and don't think it's going to be worth a million dollars one day, so don't count miles.

3. w0rtw0rt

w0rtw0rt Karting

Jun 21, 2020
    Jefferson, GA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lawson
    Thank you for the heads up! I have heard of mileage stress/anxiety. I work from home so do not have to commute each day which should help me on that front but I am definitely looking forward to driving it around my town to get coffee or pick up the occasional lunch.

JRE likes this.
  4. xtLSport

xtLSport Karting

Dec 18, 2019
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    C.L.
    I got mine recently... 1 month ago. Just do it, its a must to do once in a lifetime if you like cars...
    im totally in love with mine. Get one that has had regular maintenance, if done at ferrari better.
    Consider having an underground parking space where you can plug yourbattery with a charger. That will be great for your battery and helpful whenever you want to drive it!! PLus if you run out of battery its a mess. Not easy to jump the car, etc...

JRE and w0rtw0rt like this.
  5. w0rtw0rt

w0rtw0rt Karting

Jun 21, 2020
    Jefferson, GA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lawson
    Absolutely! I have a garage solely for it. This one was previously worked on by an independent but it will be going to FoA from now on as I have been using them for a year and love their service. Question on the battery issue - is this pretty common across the board? Do the batteries not hold a charge well or deteriorate due to high load quite a bit? This one just had about $25k worth of work done and part of that was a battery replacement so that would be good to know.

6. xtLSport

xtLSport Karting

Dec 18, 2019
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    C.L.
    ive owned a lot of BMW's and Porsche, and you can easily have a BMW not driven during a month and then it will start immediatly. Don't try this with a ferrari. After 2 weeks they will go flat! Or so I'm told, the batteries don't hold the charge very well if the car is not driven very frequently. But that's a minor issue!
    Depending on which car brand you are used to, keep in mind maitenance, insurance etc... an annual service will be likely more. 3x more than my BMW's and almost twice as much as a porsche. But its the exclusivity :)

7. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I bought a 2009 F430 four months ago.
    The insurance thru GEICO is cheaper than my previous 2014 Porsche Boxster S.
    The maintenance, which I’ve learned to do myself is the same cost as the Boxster. Oil costs the same, oil filters are a few bucks more once a year, gearbox oil is the same price, air filters are the same price, spark plugs are a little more because there’s two more, power steering fluid is cheap and is changed with a turkey baster, etc.
    Don’t get scared away from your dream car because of maintenance costs. I’m on You Tube and FerrariChat a lot, learning about the F430, it’s just a car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

HersheyE, JRE, CanadaMarcus and 2 others like this.
  8. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Wow Geico will insure s a Ferrari?

I remember a few years back when they had that whole 15 minutes can save you... blah blah blah, they told me they couldn't insure my GT3, so I would assume a Ferrari would be the same. I had no tickets, accidents or anything so it was surprising. Maybe their policy has changed, don't know.

Allstate wouldn't insure my Ferrari, they said they have a cap of 150k on original sticker value, which my F430 is way over being a loaded 2009. I went with collectible insurance for the Ferrari and it's cheap for NJ, about 1K per year.

As for maintenance, even if you use an independent Ferrari mechanic, the cost isn't much more than I pay for annual maintenance on my GT3, about $400 to 500 for a normal annual service, with a major every two years where you do additional stuff for about $1200. The big cost on the 430 is the clutch. Some last, some don't, so keep about 7K aside for a clutch every few years and that's about it. Tires are expensive but they seem to be in the same ballpark as the GT3, so nothing scary there about 1000 to 1500 for a full set. I expect the rears will wear out twice as fast as the front, so keep that in mind.

Also keep in mind the cost in time or money depending on the route you take for the sticky buttons. They all have them and you don't just want to replace the parts, they will just become sticky again.

Cheers,
    Corey

JRE and cole328 like this.
  9. xtLSport

xtLSport Karting

Dec 18, 2019
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    C.L.
    I live in Switzerland and the insurance costs 3500$ per year, then aou have an annual tax that is 2500$ for my F430. So yeah, 6'000$ before driving it :)

JRE likes this.
  10. w0rtw0rt

w0rtw0rt Karting

Jun 21, 2020
    Jefferson, GA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lawson
    Welp. I am a little disappointed guys but also a bit happy to have dodged this particular bullet.

https://teamonemotorcars.com/2006-ferrari-f430-spider-spider-marietta-ga-30067/6782790

Unfortunately, the F430 I was going to purchase is in really poor condition. Headers needed replacing, failing pre-cats (cylinders misfiring), roof needs extensive work even though it was just replaced, and a ton of other minor issues. All-in-all, looks like the work was going to total out >$15,000 and they were not wanting to budge from their $90,500 mark. I guess I will move on to the next one and hope to land a more solid and well-taken care of car!

11. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Don't rush it. Be patient and get what you want. Some people want to buy and fix up, others don't.

JRE and van22 like this.
  12. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    1) Get a PPI from authoritized dealership
    2) Make sure you have fresh rubber (preferably PS4S)
    3) Make sure service is up to date and good service history
    4) Make sure battery health is checked

I'm not sure I buy the whole "dont worry about mileage" thing. Bit not from a calue standpoint, but from wanting to keep the car feeling special and sense of occasion. I don't take the car out for running errands or no reason, it only comes out for weekend rips, taking out the girlfriend or special occasions

JRE likes this.
  13. CanadaMarcus

CanadaMarcus Rookie

Jun 29, 2018
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Where can we find you on YouTube? Link to channel?

14. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I don't know how to post a link here, but look up Normal Car Guy on You Tube. There's probably 10-15 videos of him doing all the maintenance on his 430. He also has some on the 458 he just got.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    You did the smart thing to have Ron look the car over, well done. Good luck in your search.

16. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i have gieco for my 458 and had it for my f430 as well.

17. Hobacks427

Hobacks427 Karting

Nov 2, 2014
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Neil
    On the battery losing charge, of course the best defense is to drive the car routinely. Because I can't, I added a Granite battery tender and keep the the tether tucked up in the passenger footwell so I can put the car on the tender whenever and for however long the car is un-run. My factory tender (for a 2005) was a boat anchor, connection was under a panel inside the front bonnet and was a PIA to hook up every time. So now I kept it in it's leather case for show.

I can say that if the battery voltage is low, weird things start happening.....

cole328 likes this.
  18. Revv

Revv Rookie

Mar 26, 2020
    Totally agree with the quote above. Just enjoy the car and drive it... My 2008 spider has 37K on it and runs and drives perfect.

JRE likes this.
  19. tmvatlanta

tmvatlanta Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2017
    Covington GA
    Full Name:
    Tam V.
    We stop by to look at that car too. Walked out after a few minutes looking at it. It just doesn’t have the impression of a Ferrari, and too many flaws.
    Have you found any others, OP?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

20. w0rtw0rt

w0rtw0rt Karting

Jun 21, 2020
    Jefferson, GA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lawson
    I know I am rezzing this from June, but I did finally make a purchase this past weekend. Bought a 2010 California. That one was definitely no bueno. I do wonder if they finally sold it but it definitely wasn't worth the money they were asking. It was going to need 10s of thousands of dollars of work on it.

JRE likes this.
  21. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    Congrats on the California. Those are awesome cars. Great value for the performance in my opinion. Hope to see you at Caffeine and octane or other car meets

22. w0rtw0rt

w0rtw0rt Karting

Jun 21, 2020
    Jefferson, GA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lawson
    I have a friend that likes to go to those. Just need to know the details and I'd like to get out to it. I plan on becoming more involved in the community so I absolutely want to make it out!

23. tmvatlanta

tmvatlanta Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2017
    Covington GA
    Full Name:
    Tam V.
    We have a group of exotic owners and roll to C&O together. PM me for detail if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

24. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Lucky you...as others have said, just be patient and find the right sorted out car (and 100% get a PPI!) I bought my 2007 F430 spider ~two years ago with 19K miles. The PPI came back perfect when I bought it, and the car has been bulletproof thus far. Annual service has been ~ $800. I drive the car every chance that I get....miles of smiles baby!

Keep us posted....

w0rtw0rt likes this.
  25. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    oh..and I insure with Hagerty full policy $2100/year 54 yo male Florida

JRE likes this.