430 - F430’s with (458 / 488) Newer Ferrari Wheels | FerrariChat

430 F430’s with (458 / 488) Newer Ferrari Wheels

Discussion in '360/430' started by VAF84, Jun 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Just wondering if anyone has installed 458 or 488 wheels on their F430. I’m not sure if that’s even possible without major modifications. However, I thought I’d start a thread where pictures and pertinent info can be posted; since a Google search didn’t produce any results for me.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Wrong bolt pattern (114.3 mm x 5 vs F430 108 mm x 5), will not fit and adapters are not recommended by some experts. Question has been asked multiple times, but the Search function sucks so hard to find.

VAF84 likes this.
  3. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Yup.
    YUP!
    20" BBF FI 458 Italia configuration on my F430.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. dubdub

dubdub Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2013
    Portland, OR
    I recently Installed a set of Scuderia rims as I really like the 458 style. Same bolt pattern and offset, front rim is 1/2 inch wider than stock but it still allowed me to keep the stock tire size, both front and rear.

VAF84 likes this.
  5. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    EUROPEANMASTER and VAF84 like this.
  6. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Yes,
    Mark is correct!

I made a CAD drawing with specs to have the adapters custom made....CNC'ed in carbon steel...not aluminum.
    I modified all the bolts needed in titanium. I have some pic if anyone is interested.

BigBossF430 and VAF84 like this.
  7. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Great info here. Thanks for sharing the pics everyone! I even get to see what my car (silver F430) would look like with the 458 wheels which I really wanted to see.

8. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    its just not very safe with the bold adapters

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Making them out of steel eliminates any safety concern. My experts were talking about aluminum adapters, and they felt there was not enough aluminum outside the wider bolt pattern to be safe. With steel, no issues except for the increased unsprung weight, traded off by using titanium bolts on the adapter and wheel bolts.

10. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    FYI spacing wheels or changing offset will change the scrub radius. I don't really like doing it on a road car.

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Porsche had spacers as an option for years. Not sure if they still do or not. Have not looked recently.

12. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    this is not a spacer issue, there are some pics somewhere of this unsafe adapter plate

13. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    There was a lot of consideration with safety when I made them. I am confident mine are safe.
    Again, CNC'ed with steel and all titanium bolts used. These are not adapters with protruding studs.

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Richard- There is no difference between a 25 mm Type 2 spacer and a 25 mm adapter except the location of the threaded bolt holes in the spacer. Made out of steel, this is not an "unsafe adapter plate". Good Type 2 aluminum spacers have steel inserts for the wheel bolts. A solid steel plate is even stronger. Why do you think you are an expert on this subject?

15. dubdub

dubdub Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2013
    Portland, OR
  16. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Off your head or you have proof of this summation?
    Companies like H&R (no affiliation) has been making these for years and still do.
    As mentioned earlier, Porsche has them on their 911 and my 30 year old Porsche has them on the back. No issues.

17. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    most wheel spacers have direct holes to the original wheel hub lugs rather than a new set of offset bolts within the spacer itself, Flea7 your wheels look fab btw

Flea7 likes this.
  18. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Crazy, Mikko- I asked Paul Hill (Hill Engineering) about 108 mm to 114.3 mm wheel adapters and he did not think it was a good idea because of the geometry. Less metal between the new bolt holes and the edge of the adapter if the hub width is retained. He said he could make a set, but would not guarantee them.

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Richard- Affirmative, I asked Paul Hill directly about doing adapters, but he said it was not a good idea using aluminum like his spacers. The ones in question are steel, not aluminum. Totally different ball of wax and much stronger than aluminum. Ideal, I guess, would be titanium, but those would likely be cost prohibitive.

20. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    how much do the steel adapters weigh with lug bolts please per wheel ?

21. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I'll have some pics soon.

22. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Picture of the car currently.

CAD Drawings ...version #1
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Adapters in steel. Asked for stainless but my builder pushed back due it being hard on his bits. Used carbon steel. He has a HAAS CNC.
    The adapters weight about 2.5 lbs. I knew going in that it would be lot heavier than aluminum. It really wasn't an option. I used all Ti bolts to save some weight.

The these are 15mm the bore for the Ti bolts are drilled out to 7mm. I milled down the Ti bolt to fit to the hub unit. Titanium is F'ing pain to mill down.

Fitted on the hub. Picture is of the rear. Those Ti bolts are tight in the diameter of the hole before even threading them into the hub threadings. I took a 17mm air socket and milled the sidewall down to be able to tighten the Ti bolts. (100 ft. lbs.)

I have 15mm of threading for the Ti Wheel bolts so I had to measure the distance needed for me to get as close as I can to the surface of the wheel hub from the outside BBS wheels.
    I had to cut the length of the bolt and add threading.

Attached Files:

Evan430 and tres55 like this.
  23. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    EUROPEANMASTER and mwstewart like this.
  24. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Sorry to thread jack VAF84..... I was trying to avoid it.