Discoloration near exhaust tips | FerrariChat

Discoloration near exhaust tips

Discussion in '360/430' started by KVerow, Jun 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KVerow

KVerow Karting

Nov 22, 2010
    Bedford, NH
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    After spending hours cleaning my car, I'm always disgusted when I take it out for a drive and come back and there's exhaust soot just below the tips. If I don't get it right away, it stains the paint and is difficult to remove. Anyone have suggestions for a gentle cleaner to remove the soot without harming the paint?

2. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Subscribing. I have exactly the same issue on my F430. Well, except it's more than soot; it's actually discoloring the paint. It's "burning" the paint, if you will. I can clean it and clean it, but the paint below the exhaust tips is staining from the heat / soot / condensation dripping.

I've waxed it, but we all know that doesn't do much when the heat is involved. I've wondered if there's a PPF that would withstand that heat?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Odd place looks like condensation from exhaust. My car drips a lot of condensation when I first start it, but always clear. My pipes are clear of the bumper so drips on the ground.

Wouldn’t heat rise? How’s the top part of the bumper exhaust outlet?

Ok, haven’t tried it but I’ve read wd40 won’t hurt paint, and it may easily clean it off.

Can you adjust the pipes back a little, is there an adjustment?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Keep a rag in the car and wipe down condensation after start up. I use Mothers aluminum polish to keep tips clean, a lot of times soap and water do the trick as well

5. Mel Spillman

Mel Spillman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    Tape it off and spray the inside with VHT Black header paint.