328 fuel pump | FerrariChat

328 fuel pump

Discussion in '308/328' started by mixedgas, Jun 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mixedgas

mixedgas Karting

Apr 23, 2019
    Ramona, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi folks, I know this has been covered before (and I appreciate the vast amount of information available on the topic!), but I'm interested in your opinion on this.

My 1989 328 (chassis no. 81028 with about 30K miles) fuel pump stopped working, the car ran fine one day, nothing the next (crank-no-fire). Getting a strong 12 volt test light glowing at the fuel pump + terminal, but not pumping fuel, no activity at the pump. I tapped the fuel pump with a metal rod (socket extension) and it started pumping. The car would run 'sort of' but no revs above about 2K.

This indicates to me I should replace the pump. Planning to use Bosch 0580254947.

Does anyone disagree with my diagnosis? Also, should I replace the accumulator as well (it looks original)?

Thank you!
    Mike

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Check the fuel pump relay first and the fuse. Pull out the relay then push it back in,

bertrand328 and mixedgas like this.
  3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Not sure if this apply to the 328 but on on the QV this is where the jumper wire goes to check if the circuit to the fuel pump Are good.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

mixedgas likes this.
  4. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    If you rap on the side of the pump and it starts pumping, I would say you need a new pump. :)

mixedgas and ferrariowner like this.
  5. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Your fuel pump is over 30 years old. It's likely failing or in the process of failing. Mine quit the same way your did.
    Like Kim said above, If you tapped on it and it started working, you need a new pump. Also, while your in there, I would replace the accumulator. Mine failed and it sprayed gas everywhere. Lucky there wasn't a fire.

mixedgas likes this.
  6. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    I replaced few years ago the fuel pump in my 1988.5 328GTS because it started leaking in the ball-joint connection with the accumulator. The original pump was Bosch 0 580 254 947. This pump is no longer in production but several others fit as its a very standard pump. I ordered the replacement pump at Eurospares: Bosch part #65911 - Bosch 0 580 464 125. It is also small money!

Attached Files:

Saabguy likes this.
  7. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    And check the connector on the left side of the fuse box. Also pull out it and look carefully at the 4th connection

Milkshaker0007 and miketuason like this.
  8. QV308

QV308 Karting

Jan 1, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #8 QV308, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    Menno, I'll have to fact check you here. Whomever informed you that the 0 580 254 947 (#69532) fuel pump is not produced or available any longer is mistaken.

I can assure you that the 947 pump is most definitely still produced and available from Bosch. And so is the fuel accumulator 0 438 170 004 (which is even still produced in Munich!).

Just in case other owners need a new 947 pump or an accumulator one of these days! ;)

9. mixedgas

mixedgas Karting

Apr 23, 2019
    Ramona, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi everyone, the information is much appreciated, I'll have a look at the relay/connector but I think I was getting plenty of power to the pump (I'll measure the actual voltage, just to be safe!)

Under the presumption that I'll need to replace the pump, I just ordered a Bosch 69532 pump from Amazon for $157 delivered Thursday (2 days from now). I'll inspect the fuel accumulator while I'm down there (e.g. pull the blow-by line and see if any gas comes out) but the accumulators were further out on delivery (into next week) and I'm hoping to drive the car this holiday weekend.

Thanks!
    Mike

QV308 likes this.
  10. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    O.k., thanks for updating this. It might be that it was not available when I needed to replace mine. Anyway the one I fitted works perfectly has the same pressure and fitting and fits exactly.

QV308 likes this.
  11. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    The original shaped pump was available when I replaced mine, but it was quite expensive so I bought the smaller replacement pump readily available from most sources here in the eu.

Of course, I decided to keep the old one in a box (still working but old).

Take a close look at the metal line and nuts to ensure they are not rusted. Also, it is a good idea to assemble the metal line first and then clamp the accu and pump to the frame.