Timing belt walking 308 engine | FerrariChat

Timing belt walking 308 engine

Discussion in '308/328' started by snowsports1, Jun 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snowsports1

snowsports1 Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hi my engine has been completely rebuilt and the first start today I have noticed one of the cam belts is walking / tracking towards the engine. Suspecting it was a faulty cam pulley I have changed these and it made no difference. The only way I can influence this tracking is a shim washer under the top m8 bolt on the tensioner. Having tried various shims it requires only a very thin washer (0.15mm) however it is very hit and miss and I’m not convinced it won’t gradually track on the pulley. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. flat-12

flat-12 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2011
    Germany
    Most common problems are caused with the cam shaft pulley, like suspected.
    There was a Service Bulletin from Ferrari because of the "plastic style pulleys", these should be replaced!

I have also seen pictures of Ferrari 308 tensioners breaking (fracture); maybe the tensioner is slightly twisted.

Did you change the bearing or have you changed the whole tensioner with the bearing?

3. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I had the same issue and was told that it was being caused by the lower cam belt pulley bearings being worn.

4. snowsports1

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I have tried two different sets of cam pulleys Ferrari metal ones and superformance aluminium ones so I am pretty sure it’s not them. The lower pulley has two new bearings as part of rebuild

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    If belt walks something isn’t square.

Saabguy and albkid like this.
  6. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    FWIW I sent back a set of SF pulleys as the belt walked. SF sent the pulleys to the OEM and they gave me a refund. I am awaiting the credit now. The OEM Ferrari ‘Plastic’ pulleys are still good and they did not walk for me..... just saying....

7. snowsports1

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    today i have tried installing a tensioner of another engine. This didnt make any difference. So i have tried two different set of cam pulleys and another tensioner. so the only things left is bottom pulley or belt. has anyone had to shim the tensioner to make the belt run true? i haven't spoken to anyone who has done this.

8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    would bad cam drive bearings do it? are they loose?

9. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Brian, Who rebuilt the engine? Any chance the timing cover was changed? It sounds like the lower pulley may be off but with new bearings it should be square (unless the cover was changed as they are machined with the block. Was the head skimmed? It too may not be square.

10. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    The plastic pulleys develop cracks. Just saying.

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Be careful I had a belt failure which appeared to be related to a drive pulley bearing starting to fail. The belt walked onto pulley fence and was cut, then failed.

waymar likes this.
  12. flat-12

flat-12 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2011
    Germany
    There should be no need to shim the tensioner. Never had this kind of problem with 308 engines.

But I have seen broken tensioners and broken cam pulleys (in person).

The bearing of the drive pulley is tehnet thing to check, like johnk… said, this could be the reason.
    Not a common problem.