Telemetry/Data logging | FerrariChat

Telemetry/Data logging

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by mandibeln, Aug 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mandibeln

mandibeln Rookie

Feb 7, 2016
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Good Morning,

I have a F430 Challenge car used for track days. I have come to understand that there is equipment installed for data logging. This equipment got to be dated since a lot have happened since 2008. Anyone out here with good info on how to start using the data.

- Install something new?
    - Buy software for whatever system the car came with?

Thankful for your expertise knowledge...

Daniel

2. FerrariFan1991

FerrariFan1991 Karting

Jan 23, 2011
    Southeast FL
    Full Name:
    Greg D.
    Your car should have a Magnetti Marelli data acquisition system (unless it was intentionally removed for some reason), as do all 430 Challenge cars. This system is very capable in the hands of an experienced data engineer, as it automatically and continuously logs a number of parameters (124 channels on the 458s, not sure how many on a 430 but probably less) on the car and provides the user with a plethora of tools to manipulate and visualize the data, much like the equivalent MoTeC and AiM systems. However, the software is quite "cryptic" and not as user-friendly as MoTeC or AiM, so definitely not a good setup for someone with limited data analysis experience.

Any Ferrari race shop/Challenge team should be able to get you the software for little to nothing. In addition to the software, you'll need a functioning in-car timing transponder (which all cars were delivered with new), a trackside beacon + 12V battery (not supplied with all cars), and data acq. cable, which any dealer (with a Challenge team) or some other parts companies should be able to get for you. Beyond that, it will take a fair bit of time to familiarize yourself with the software and to get system functioning on your own. The way to best utilize the on-board system then is to be supported by a Challenge team or other experienced Ferrari team/shop, or to at least have someone with experience set you up and show you the basics. I'd offer to help myself, as I've been working with Challenge cars on an engineering level for 6 years now, but I'm based in the US, and I see you're in Stockholm :/

For someone who tracks the car on their own and/or isn't competing at a high level, I'd recommend a simple plug-and-play lap timer with OBD/CAN inputs, like the AiM Solo or TraqMate systems. If you'd also like integrated video recording, look into the VBOX and AiM SmartyCam HD systems. All of these systems are easy to install and use, and provide a wealth of useful information for a non-competition driver. Additionally, they do not interfere with the Magnetti Marelli data system, so there's nothing stopping you from using both systems.

3. mandibeln

mandibeln Rookie

Feb 7, 2016
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Thanks for the expert reply!
    I have ordered AIM Solo with a Smartycam.
    /Daniel

4. DavidFChat

DavidFChat Rookie

Sep 13, 2018
    Iowa
    Full Name:
    DAVID SAFRIS
    Hi @
    FerrariFan1991
    I am in the same situation as the original poster back in 2016 . new to the 430 challenge world and looking for someone that might be willing to do some phone support / I am in the USA / Midwest - Would be willing to pay for time as needed and would be great to meet some people that have experience with the dash and other sub systems on the car. we have a local shop willing to do some mechanical support but no one here has ever worked on a challenge car.

Performify likes this.
  5. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006

We would be happy to help. The Magnetti system is very capable but not user friendly. On all our cars we add a VBOX with DATA pulled from the CAN system for overlay as these are very user friendly and video overlay makes data much more useful for most amateur drivers.

Performify likes this.
  6. DavidFChat

DavidFChat Rookie

Sep 13, 2018
    Iowa
    Full Name:
    DAVID SAFRIS
    Thank you - for now we are going to trying to get the Magnetti system running. We think we are close and now have a laptop set up with the files, communication to the car established, and received the configuration file from Ferrari .. hoping for success this weekend.. now we know if you buy a 13 year old challenge car ..buy the owners old laptop to go with it... if we try to convert to a new system we will definitely need assistance with that.

7. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Have you sourced the 430 diagnostic tool yet?

8. DavidFChat

DavidFChat Rookie

Sep 13, 2018
    Iowa
    Full Name:
    DAVID SAFRIS
    no - basically just got the car out of the transport and are figure it all out ! we believe the car dash is all original - emu - axon 2.04 - we hav the data log software - wintax 4.3.0

9. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I've been working on the 360 and 430 ecus lately, there are as many as 6000 + loggable variables inside the ecus that normally aren't exposed to outside world.

.. Believe me when I say you can do a lot even on old 360 Challenge cars let alone newer 458s...

Jeffg11 likes this.
  10. DavidFChat

DavidFChat Rookie

Sep 13, 2018
    Iowa
    Full Name:
    DAVID SAFRIS
    if you have the original software files and data files needed to get the dash working and the car communicating to a laptop .. i would love to hear from you.. we feel like we are pretty close ..just missing some setting or files that will be the missing puzzle piece..

11. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    where are you located in iowa?

12. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    You need the beacon for the system to log lap times. Good luck with the system.

13. DavidFChat

DavidFChat Rookie

Sep 13, 2018
    Iowa
    Full Name:
    DAVID SAFRIS
    Des Moines area .. car is currently in Omaha though..

14. DavidFChat

DavidFChat Rookie

Sep 13, 2018
    Iowa
    Full Name:
    DAVID SAFRIS
    getting close to the AIM upgrade at this point.. messing with 12 year old software and no support has stressed us a bit. have the computer communicating to the car now but still missing some system setting file that makes the dash work - just shows dashes at this point -

15. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Sorry David, only just looked at this thread again. There is nothing better than the factory ignition ecu for data logging. It knows everything! Like I said, 6,000+ variables logged inside!

The problem has been Bosch granting access to its data.. I'll be releasing something soon that is game changing for these older cars.

Already I can now upgrade to larger AFMs and Throttle bodies and Customize the firmware for improved performance. I can also do an Immobilizer delete and many other things.

Trev

Jeffg11 likes this.
  16. Sicilian1

Sicilian1 Karting

Oct 7, 2013
    Bethesda,MD
    I totally agree with putting Aim and SmartyCam in the car. User friendly, tons of support and most importantly video. I used this in my 430 challenge and was perfect for coaching. Dave- sent you a pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. BRIAN STRIEGOLD

Jul 18, 2018
    houston
    Full Name:
    Brian's Challenge
    Please keep me in the loop as my 430 challenge has a vbox but would like something else if I could get it.

18. Rothbauer_Racing

Rothbauer_Racing Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    Brian I see your tracking your 430 Challenge at COTA, great job! It’s always great to see these car out on track. If you need help installing or setting up AIM SoloDL & Race Studio 3 I could be of some help I’ve been using for years on various tracks + COTA and I’m in Houston as well.

19. PenP

PenP Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 20, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Pen Pendleton
    #19 PenP, Jun 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    Hey guys,

I got a 360CH that had been (very poorly) converted to a modern AiM MXG system. But the stock Marelli boxes (MT942/2 and MT914/131 and MT911) will need new batteries. Since these need to be replaced every few years, I figured I'd easily find out some info on this task on FC but nothing. Ideas?

Thanks!

Also, anyone have some spare MT941/2 and MT914/131 and MT911 boxes?
    That's parts numbers 182927 and 182928 and 182929