Issues with 575F1 revving when coming to a stop | FerrariChat

Issues with 575F1 revving when coming to a stop

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Ozeskiman, Jun 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ozeskiman

Ozeskiman Karting

May 15, 2016
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Can anyone help on this issue. On 3 recent occasions when I have been coming slowly to a full stop the engine has tried to accelerate. I have immediately put the car in neutral and I can watch the rev counter running up and down to 3,000 rpm. It's not smooth but jumps about. I have then turned the car off, then restarted but the issue remained whilst I have the brake on. As soon as I take off the issue disappears. It's a little disconcerting.
    I spoke to the local Ferrari dealer. They suggested it could possibly be sticking butterflies in the air intake. But as it's random there's no way of checking. No lights came on, so they doubt the computers will show anything. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas, solutions? Appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #2 Qavion, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    Wouldn't sticking butterflies keep the rpms constantly high (once stuck)?

Could it be a faulty idle speed regulator (assuming the 575 has one)?

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  4. NoECUs

NoECUs Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Texas
    Full Name:
    William Harrod
    I had a throttle problem with my 575 - it sometimes wouldn't return to the normal idle speed and instead would idle fast enough to want to engage the clutch. Turns out it was a faulty accelerator potentiometer in which the two halves of the circuit would not sync properly with the ECU. You can try turning off the battery and resetting the ECU - if the problem goes away for a while, then this is probably your issue.

Qavion likes this.
  5. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    In my case the issue with this symptom was a leaking intake gasket. If it has never been changed it’s a good possibility. The replacement gasket I believe is better material and will solve the problem if it is in fact your problem.
    Bill
    FL

Qavion and tbakowsky like this.
  6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Tony- Quite often this problem is pretty simple, hitting the throttle pedal at the same time you are braking. Ferrari noted a problem with this on early 575Ms and increased the distance between throttle and brake pedals by moving the brake pedal over one set of holes. This increased clearance between the pedals from 35 mm to 55 mm, documented below at AN 50297 around May/June 2003.

Attached Files:

7. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Tony you might clarify if this is happening randomly or on the last three occasions you’ve driven the car? And you say once you take off it disappears. Does it disappear until you come to another stop or not reoccur?
    In the case of a intake vacuum leak, usually once it starts happening it doesn’t go away.
    Bill

8. Ozeskiman

Ozeskiman Karting

May 15, 2016
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Tony

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. I will see what happens and then at least have some ideas if it happens again. Drove the car yesterday and it didn't occur. Taz, your suggestion on hitting both pedals at the same will make me be more conscious to notice if that's the case if it happens again. Strangely enough I was wearing normal brogues rather than moccasins when it last occurred. You are a wealth of information. :)

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Tony- All I wear now are driving shoes for everyday wear. Have about 8 pairs and just rotate them. Helps to finally be retired, but the driving shoes really help on the pedals, even with F1.

10. Ozeskiman

Ozeskiman Karting

May 15, 2016
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Thanks Taz. I usually wear driving shoes. I have around 50 pairs in all colours. But I don't think that was the issue. So far it hasn't happened again.

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Tony- 50 pairs? You must have a huge closet to soak up all of those. Mine are all varying shades of brown and black leather.

12. Ozeskiman

Ozeskiman Karting

May 15, 2016
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I know..I just keep buying them when I'm in Europe. It's tragic :)

13. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I haven't had 50 pairs of shoes throughout my entire life. :)

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Barry- Likely true for me, too. For much of my life I had two pairs, one civilian and one military. Before that it was just one pair at a time, not counting the one pair of tennis shoes.

15. Ozeskiman

Ozeskiman Karting

May 15, 2016
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Tony
    What can I say..I like shoes. I actually probably have over a 100 pairs all up. And they never wear out as each pair gets worn a couple of times a year, if that. Mostly high end Italian, so they are well made. I have a buddy who just wears flip flops. So each to their own. :)

16. Ozeskiman

Ozeskiman Karting

May 15, 2016
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Tony
    On another matter. I would like to replace my boot rubber seal. But they are not available and even if they were the price is ridiculous. Has anyone sourced a replacement seal by any chance.

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Maranello Classic Parts show one, but "price on application" does not sound good.

18. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Sounds like you may have a vacuum leak

19. Ozeskiman

Ozeskiman Karting

May 15, 2016
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I just saw your reply. What do you mean by a vacuum leak?