512 TR Market and cars available | FerrariChat

512 TR Market and cars available

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ASK328, Jun 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I have owned 2 512 TR’s. I’m thinking it may be time for a new one, what’s the market today on them? Does anyone have a nice car they would consider selling?

It seems the market has corrected significantly since I sold my last one - what’s a 92-93 worth with say 15K real miles on it?

Thanks -

icebox likes this.
  2. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    200-225k depending upon condition

3. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    Really? So they haven't corrected since the 2016 highs?

Parnelli likes this.
  4. jbernard73

jbernard73 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 25, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Here’s a long winded answer to a brief question. I’ve been following the 512TR market almost daily for over 10 years trying not to overlook a single post on this amazing forum or car listed for sale, at least anywhere in the public domain. I missed my first opportunity to buy a 1994 with 18k miles on eBay back around 2011/2012. Then futilely watched the market crescendo where by 2014, 1992’s were sailing past $175k and didn’t look back until they effectively hit $300k in late 2015. They gradually backed off since then and if there was a recent relative bottom to be called it was sometime in 2018 trailing into early 2019.

The 512TR market can’t seemingly make up its mind right now and there’s been a recent uptick in the disconnect between asking and actual selling prices since COVID-19. In general I’d say the market is up a little from the recent lows. I think there’s a larger group like me who actively follow and know what the market has done and refused to prematurely step in while it rose so dramatically and then fell and are now picking up the right condition cars at the right prices. There’s a small subset of uninformed buyers you’d expect sprinkled in here and there. And then another group that falls into the excitement trap of an auction where you can see sales at prices that don’t necessarily reflect where the market truly is. Most recently a 1993 sold at Amelia in March for $230k all in and I feel that was about $30k over market. If it’s any indication, even more recently I bought a 1994 red/tan Classiche certified with ultra low miles and impeccable service history and condition (major done in 2019) for a good bit less than that Amelia price. I also now have a full set of matching luggage (many thanks to JIMBO on this forum!!)

Assuming a recent major service within the past year or two, a 15k-20k 1992 seems to be hovering around $160k-$175k. Lower end private sale, higher end dealer sale. Ferrari of Atlanta just sold one with 19k miles, major this past year, for $170k while their official asking price was always north of $200k and the car sat on the showroom floor for easily 6 months+. At 30k miles you’re down around $150k. This pricing is for red/tan and with a recent major. No recent major, subtract at least $10k-$15k. Same potentially for other color combo. 40k+ miles all bets off. Higher mileage 1992’s with or without service history have traded hands for anywhere between $80k and $135k+ in the last 1-2 yrs.

There aren’t nearly as many 1993’s as 1992’s and even fewer 1994’s. Almost everyone seems to acknowledge a total production run of 2261 worldwide, 408 of those sold in the US. Model year breakouts within the US are mostly conjecture with no official model year numbers published. The most accurate compilation I’ve seen is:

240 - 1992
    108 - 1993
    60 - 1994 (could be as low as 38)

I’ve seen it referenced over and over that there are only 38 LHD 1994 models with ABS and 1994 was the only model year in the US with ABS. So it could be there were as few as 38 1994’s (maybe even less if that number also includes Canada), probably slightly more 1993’s (maybe 120) and a slightly higher count for 1992’s (maybe 250). Representative model year counts that are publicly available on places like VINWiki and cars sold over the past 10 years closely reflect this same relative ratio between the 3 US model years.

Good luck in your search - that’s half the fun! The other half (ok, maybe a little more...) is owning and driving it!!

sixcarbs, dkyranakis, sinkman and 6 others like this.
  5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you may say that those prices are in US, but not worldwide
    the cheapest TR 93 just now is offered in mobile.de for under 100.000 €, a 92 also for under 100.000 €, but also a a 91 with 50.000 km for145.000 €, a 94 with 26.000 km for 160.000 €, a 93 with not even 700 km for 279.000 €

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  6. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    In looking at so many no sales on BAT I think that sellers still need to be a bit more realistic. If we have a down draft in the economy and more come to market I wonder if they go back to 2009 prices. I bought a 7k mile 94 512 TR - perfect car, needed a major, ABS & M differential car for - 95k at a F car dealer in 2009.

Who knows.......... we will see.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  7. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    My guess (and its just a guess obviously) is that 512TR owners aren't going to be in a rush to sell at these low prices. We will just see no cars offered in the USA considering how few there are and their potential value compared to what someone is willing to pay right now. I know if I owned one, I wouldn't be selling it period.

8. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

165-170 tops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Natkingcolebasket69

Couldn’t have written it any better then u.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sinkman and jbernard73 like this.
  10. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    Appreciate the long-winded answer Jeff. Good information!

11. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    I think the seller would say that exact comment about buyers. Most of us have been on both sides. Sellers often have lofty expectations and buyers are looking for a bargain to chest thump they bought it right. The capitulation comes as some buyer wants it bad enough and is tired of waiting and accepts the asking prices as a real price/sees others paying asking prices or the seller just wants to move the car and takes what he can get. This is nothing new and we all see it in cars, houses, boats, etc. The new sale creates a new or perception of a revised price baseline but isn’t always the case. Just because one seller dumped his car doesn’t mean the other five will. Always hard to gauge a market of a half dozen cars available at any given time and given that factor I would say the seller has a stronger hand.

SAFE4NOW, JPMD, jbernard73 and 3 others like this.
  12. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    There’s even a bigger problem now. Very limited inventory. The sellers are now in a better position to hold out for top dollar or upper price range. As the demand increases for those limited cars/inventory they will sell. Cars are starting to move at higher prices. When someone says auction prices are over priced or don’t count. That’s totally incorrect. Every sale is the market period. COVID 19 is not having the effect of lowering prices either.

sherrillt likes this.
  13. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    buy the cheapest good car you can find, regardless of miles, and drive it as much as you like, and enjoy the experience.
    you live once, so do it in a ferrari of your dreams. :)

btw, driving mine to work tomorrow at 8 am .

sinkman, sherrillt, xplodee and 4 others like this.
  14. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    Auction prices can be highly manipulated. There's a "cartel" of dealers in the high end market that have been manipulating prices for years. I discovered that a few years ago when I was buying my TR. Dealers will hoard cars or buy from each other to artificially manipulate the sales data. Look at the Carfax on some of the cars out there and you'll see what I'm talking about.

15. VetroresinaNL

VetroresinaNL Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Vetroresina
  16. Natkingcolebasket69

xplodee likes this.