Piaggio Avanti II to replace my Mustang... | FerrariChat

Piaggio Avanti II to replace my Mustang...

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by dmark1, Jun 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Back before the craziness began I sold my Mustang in anticipation of purchasing a M2. Long story short while in class at FlightSafety I began to have second thoughts about the M2. It didn't have any more rom in back, its fuel consumption was 25% more than the Mustang AND it still had the infernal noisy bleed air windshield. In effect, it was a 90's CJ with a nice avionics suite. So I walked away.

Much research of what I wanted and needed resulted in a terrific airplane that to many is either ignored or discounted - The Piaggio Avanti. I know, I know, they are unreliable (NOT true according to actual operators) hard to get parts for (True at one time but plenty available now due to Avantair parting out many) and the company was in bankruptcy. (True but now has 19 suitors including Pilatus and Piper of all people).

SO, I jumped. Bought a 2007 Avanti II with new engines, new paint, new gear overhaul and new props.
    Paid less than I got for my Mustang but received so much more in my opinion. FL 370 380 knots at 550 PPH 30 knots faster than my Mustang on the same fuel with 250 more miles range AND a cabin larger than a Phenom 300. Anyone here have any experience with these amazing planes? Very happy so far with mine.

View attachment 2964673 Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    380 KTAS is pretty phenomenal for a turbo-prop. Looks like a little airliner inside. Can you stand up in the cabin?

Jacob Potts likes this.
  3. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yes the cabin is 5'10" tall and 6' wide. Has a nice head area as well with a full door for privacy.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

tritone and Jacob Potts like this.
  4. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I love the Avanti just wish it had had consistent funding over the years to fully evolve the aircraft. In its early days it had LearJet/Integrated Resources as the partner (where it sprouted the rectangular cabin windows). Too bad Integrated Resources had its own financial problems that led to the sale of Learjet to Bombardier. Then Piaggio had to finish the project on their own which stretched them too thin. A bankruptcy that led to having Piero Ferrari part of the rescue package with Mubadalah money. The collapse of Avantair was the next big big blow. Hopefully the next owner will bring the proper funding to allow the aircraft to reach its full potential with proper product support and upgrades.

I had an involvement with the aircraft during its original development. Met with the chief engineer that was designing it. That was back at a time when they were debating the cross section between a Falcon 10 or Falcon 20 (ultimate was to use the 20) and pre-the LearJet partnership.

Piaggio's intent back when was to target the Citations by matching/beating its block time performance up to about 1,500 nm. but with far far superior fuel burns. With its interior size it seriously outclasses all the light jets.

Have you checked into what Evo upgrades are able to be incorporated?

I know the engineering group that did the original interiors. Happy to connect you if there are interior changes you need coverage for.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mark- Works for me. I am 5' 7".

6. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

Very cool. One thing I noticed is apparently a few serial numbers after mine (1149) they started uplighting the cabin ceiling along with the downlighting (which I currently have). Wonder if there is a STC to change mine?

As far as any EVO upgrades go, there really aren’t that many to begin with and some are cost prohibitive (new style gear is 600,000 for example). The avionics are basically the same as is the engines. The props are nice for their reduction of noise on the ground but no one cares in my area.

7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I know someone who had one for a while. They loved it at first, then I noticed it was for sale a few years later... not really sure what the deal was. They certainly raved about it early on.

I think they are a cool airplane-- it will be good to see what you think after some time with it.

8. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

Don you know how that is. Any pilot wants faster, higher, bigger. It’s our nature.

I’m sure it also comes with some “Italian manufacturer frustration” as we all know what that is.

9. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    I was wondering about that new avatar.....:D couldn’t quite ID it.....
    Congratulations! I recall pix of Piero having one with the PH on the tail.....

10. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    There is one with a prancing horse on it in fort Wayne. It may or not be based there... But when I go to Auburn on labor day I usually see a Pilatus which I think was silver with a prancing horse on the tail.

Congrats on the plane! I absolutely love those. I have never had a chance to fly in one but on paper it seems to an idiot like me to be an awesome plane for the money. Like a no brainier for the money.

Congrats!

11. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Piaggio was the official aircraft for the Scuderia for a while. Of course that was during the time that Piero was part of Piaggio. It was red with the prancing horse on the tail. Current sponsor of the team is Vista Jet which runs a fleet of Bombardier jets.

12. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Shortly after your aircraft Piaggio switched to a different interior design with a shell manufactured and supplied by Nordam. The aircraft still continued to be outfitted at JetWorks in Denton, TX (became Greenpoint then was shut down a couple years ago).

I do have a contact for an ex-Piaggio field person, Jeff Shope, that might be able to help you. The engineering group is AeroNautique - DFW area.

13. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I figured this was just an enthusiast who owned the plane. I'm sure I took a picture of it. Let me check

14. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'm the exception to the rule-- 9 years so far with my 300 knot, 400pph Commander 980...

15. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Good for you to have a sense of reality but not a part of the mentality on display at Teterboro or a season weekend at Palm Beach where they want to cast the biggest shadow on the ramp.

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I used to live in Palm Beach County and flew (commercial) out of PBI a lot. At times, it's amazing how many aircraft were parked at the various FBOs along the southern edge of the airport; even big jets like 727s and (before he became Prez) Trump's 757. When the PGA tour is in town it gets even crazier. It's not a busy airport for commercial flights, but once, in the only airliner taxiing out for takeoff, we had to wait for SIX business jets to either take off or land!

17. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Going back closer to the MU-2 idea?

18. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    For a while I was doing various projects at Jet Aviation on the southeast corner of PBI. On "in season" holiday weekends they actually were running out of room to park the aircraft. The big boys (Gulfstream, Falcon 900s and Challengers) got the prime front spots and it descended from there. King Airs and such lesser aircraft might get stashed behind the maintenance hangar.

Back then Trump had his 727-100 (e-Diamond Shamrock). We could tell he was coming in hours before he ever got there. Normal was the 2 stretch limos would get there the earliest - maybe 3 hours before the arrival. Then a station wagon for the baggage and then at the end his Rolls Royce Cloud III. As the aircraft spun on the ramp in preparation to drop the ventral stairs the cars would pull up that you could have done a string lining up the front bumpers. Afterwards the 727 would get taxied to its parking spot. At that time there was also a based 727-200 of Nelson Peltz' with Jet too.

19. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Hey! I have a 52' wingspan!

20. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Very nice! When I flew corporate we had a Citation II, a King Air F90, and a Beech Starship. I was always impressed about the Starship being not that much slower than the Citation. Rode better through the bumps too.

Looking good!

cheers
    Dave

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    One of my instructors was a Avanti pilot late 2000's. He flew for a private owner here local, didn't know his name, but his thing was to attend all the Mavericks games, even when out of town. I think there was really high demand those years everyone wanted one, premiums on the price. Stand up cabin and efficiency. Subject to any airport noise abatements?

22. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I don't think it was as much about "everyone wanted one" as it was that AvantAir was taking a high percentage of the production line. Unfortunately AvantAir's business model was seriously flawed and they were doing financial and maintenance shenanigans to last as long as they did. They made a big black eye for the Avanti and put a sudden major hole in Piaggio's revenues when they failed.

23. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I believe that when Trump arrives with Air Force One, it now parks on a pad in the northwest corner of the airport, near the end of runway 14 and isolated from all the other airport activity.

24. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The only one is in Santa Monica (as are a lot of airplane types). Naples, Florida got their dander up about the airplane once as well but that was mainly because AvantAir was flying a lot in and out of there and irritating the residents close to the airport.

Just flew her back from Sacramento to Dallas 1250 miles virtually no tailwind and did it in 3 hours 41 minutes block to block. Burned 2000 lbs total. Quiet as a church mouse inside. Here she is parked next to the proper cars....

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I always liked those but the airport I fly out of KSMO banned them along with a lot of other airports due to the noise the props make, other than that most wouldn't care about it anyway, it's one heck of a plane for the money.

What's TBO on them? 3,500hrs?