For Sale - 1972 365 GTB/4 Daytona | FerrariChat

For Sale 1972 365 GTB/4 Daytona

Discussion in 'Cars' started by AMG USA, Jul 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AMG USA

AMG USA Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Jan 4, 2017
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Atlantis Motor Group
    1972 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 with 39k original miles. $559,000 Last sold at Bonhams in 2017, the description is borrowed from their catalog. Chassis number 15155

Completed on May 3rd, 1972, this 365 GTB/4 Daytona Berlinetta left the factory in new Giallo Fly 20-Y-191 paint with a Nero VM 8500 leather interior. The car was equipped and destined for the US market, and optioned with air conditioning. Delivered to the East Coast Distributorship Chinetti-Garthwaite (Algar) later that year, the car then sold to its first owner. According to renowned Ferrari historian Marcel Massini, this Daytona is one of the first three that was imported by Chinetti-Garthwaite after they became an importer for Ferrari.

After spending a number of years with its original owner, the Daytona was made available for purchase, advertised as red with a black interior and having 30,000 miles on the odometer. In 1989, the car was exported to Belgium where it was acquired by Jean-Pierre Ori, who was the former head mechanic for the Belgian race driver Oliver Gendebien. While in Ori's care, the car was treated to an extensive restoration. It is believed that at this point the car was returned to its original shade of Fly Yellow, while it was decided to leave the well-preserved interior alone. Ori would keep the car until the mid-1990s, at which point he sold it to a French collector. It is believed that the car would remain in France until 1999 when it was offered for sale at an auction in Paris. When the car reached the auction, the odometer was showing just 36,000 miles. The car was then sold to a Belgium collector who would keep it for many years. During that stewardship, the car was brought back to Gipi Motors in Brussels, where the engine received a full rebuild. The car has remained overseas ever since, until recently being brought home to the US for this auction.

It only takes a quick glance to appreciate the quality of the restoration that was performed by Jean-Pierre Ori some 25 plus years ago, which has held up remarkably well. The believed-to-be original interior offers just the right amount of patina that should be paired with a vehicle of this age. Covering fewer than 40,000 miles, only a short amount of distance has been logged since the comprehensive refurbishment of the original, numbers matching engine; today, the 12-cylinders quickly roar to life – begging to be exercised.

This wonderful low mileage Daytona Berlinetta was recently serviced by J.D. Classics and offers the perfect opportunity to acquire a well sorted example in a striking color combination. Accompanying the sale of this Daytona is a very nice history file which includes photo documentation of the restoration, engine rebuild, and a Massini report. The car has been Ferrari Classiche certified and a Red Book is available for the next owner. If a Daytona was ever something on your wish list, this well sorted Fly Yellow example surely deserves a good look.

For more information email or call [email protected] 561-760-9000

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

blu328gts, m5shiv, Veloce12 and 11 others like this.
  2. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
  3. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
  4. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I think around 2004 a yellow Daytona with engine issues (maybe a leaking gasket) was for sale on F.C., with a 90K asking price. It's buried somewhere on F.C. :D

5. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Love. This. Car.

GLWS

6. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Very nice. Looks just great.

GLWS

technom3 likes this.
  7. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    Write it up, I'll take it!

8. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Beautiful car!
    In 2002, a nice Daytona coupe could be had for $125k. 8-10 years later, was about $900k. And now, less than 600K?

9. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Amazing cars!

My most regrettable sale.

10. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Nembo1777 likes this.
  11. Quinlan

Quinlan Rookie

Aug 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Arthur Quinlan
    I remember seeing one of these (same colour) in Ontario "back in the day" - 1977 or so. I fell in love with Ferraris on the spot. I have been ever since. I'm hoping to get my first soon.

of2worlds likes this.
  12. michael1017

michael1017 Rookie

Nov 5, 2005
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Michael Hartung
    Wasn’t this car on the cover of Sports Car Market a while back?

13. severtecher

severtecher Karting

May 1, 2004
    Tucson AZ USA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Fox
    The car I lusted after since I was 18. I didn't have the $20,000 then and don't have the $559K now, however, if I won the lottery I'd buy it, send it to the Classiche department along with $500K or whatever it cost and have it done as a new car. :D

LVP488 likes this.
  14. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    The price drop, I think, reflects the aging (and dying off) of those who lusted after them when they were younger. When people reach an age when they have the resources to buy the things they have always wanted, they buy the things that made an impression on them in their youth. In addition, they made quite a lot of them relatively speaking. Nonetheless, they are fantastic cars and I regret selling mine a number of years ago.

efg2014 likes this.
  15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

a big problem with the Daytona is that it never was eligible to the best events in the world, in its stradale version. No Tour Auto, no Mille Miglia, no California Mille, no Modena Cento Ore and it was obviously not a track car so no racing either. Whereas a Lusso is eligible for a lot of these events. Or a 275 GTB.
    Of course they are also rarer but i cant help to think it explains why the Daytona is not a $1m+ car.

LARRYH and ag512bbi like this.
  16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Plus Daytonas are good when the road is straight, no complaint but...if you need to brake, to turn, to face a hilly twisty road...they become Truck-tonas, the brakes soon fade, specially during track days and they are NOT happy in tight turns, ask me how I know:D:eek: the EZ power steering helps but their nature can't be changed, Austostrada only with no one in front preferably.
    My ideal one would be fly yellow but with plexi nose.

17. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I remembered at Laguna Seca on a FCA run 2000-20001?, I was driving a F1 355 spyder cruising along, a red Daytona with wide tires passed me before the second turn, he couldn't slow down fast enough, ending spinning around face to face with me. I popped a couple of paddles and got out of the way. After the run, we met in the pad dock and the driver came over and thanked me not hitting him. :eek:

of2worlds and Nembo1777 like this.
  18. DanNE

DanNE Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2013
    Was this car sold?

19. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Car is not on the AMG site, but Ferrari Westlake is advertising it on Dupont. Same chassis number.

20. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    msdesignltd likes this.
  21. rick stormer

rick stormer Rookie

Aug 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    rick stormer
    of2worlds, cgt000 and tickerhound like this.