550 Stock Exhaust vs. Tubi or Novitec (in person) | FerrariChat

550 Stock Exhaust vs. Tubi or Novitec (in person)

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Jda550911, Jul 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jda550911

Jda550911 Rookie

Jul 1, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    James
    First post here and have read some threads on this, but watching videos can only invigorate me so much.

I just took ownership of 2000 550 with stock exhaust and being my first Ferrari, it doesn't really have that bone chilling Ferrari sound compared to other, well, Ferraris. Love everything about this car and will use it for mostly touring purposes, but a slight tone improvement would really put it over the top.

Long post short: anyone in the Jacksonville, FL or Tampa, FL areas with an aftermarket exhaust that would mind meeting up to give me a listen?

Maybe I'm over-estimating the 550 with aftermarket exhaust ownership numbers, but hey you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

I currently live in Jacksonville, but Tampa is home and am there every 2 weeks or so.

2. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    IMHO it is very difficult to achieve the signature V12 Ferrari sound without upgrading the headers. The best headers for our cars are made by a gentleman named Fabio in Italy known as Fiam menghi Engineering. The signature sound is from the use of equal length runners, allowing the evenly spaced combustion pulses of the V12 to exit the car in perfect succession. Here is my car with his headers, catless, and Tubi Competition mufflers. I recommend going with cats and his valved mufflers for better control of the loudness (I am making those changes soon, and because catless can be a bit smelly like an outboard boat motor). Even if you keep the rest of your exhaust stock for now, headers will make the most significant difference and are a far better investment in the sound of these cars vs. mufflers. The FF, D12, 812, Enzo, 599 GTO, and LaFerrari all came from the factory with equal length headers as well which is why they sound very different compared to the 456/550/575.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CB6FHHLlR5-/?igshid=1x3pllmneb80u

3. Jda550911

Jda550911 Rookie

Jul 1, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    James
    Thanks Nifty! I have seen you on Instagram - that sounds like a V12!

Thanks for breaking down the importance of the different exhaust components and how they affect the sound. Definitely going to look into headers and do more research on o2 sensors and other ramifications of cat-delete. I frickin love that "rich" smell, but probably won't get that aggressive on this car.

Looking into headers first - thanks again!

4. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Your are very welcome! If you go catless let me know as I will have my catless collectors available for sale.

5. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    We have Tubi. I used to sell all. Get the Capristo/Novitec. It is so much better than the Tubi IMHO. When we bought the car, the Tubi was all that was out. I will change it one day!

6. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    niftyfivefifty, WOW - ok, now headers are on the list. Any idea on current cost?

7. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    hwyman likes this.
  8. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW

Here is his 550 page
    , but send him a message and tell him Emet sent you.

9. Stevenight2106

Dec 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Steven Bizzocchi
    Hi everyone, this is my first post here.
    So, I am looking to buy my first Ferrari, a 550 maranello. My father had one long time ago and I have nothing but good memories about this cars.
    But i remember the sound it's not the typical v12 Ferrari we all love. First, i just learn about the headers. So, I should buy my car in the next few weeks and i would like to order the parts as soon is possible.

Here is my question, what do you think about a fiam menghi headers with cats an secondary air. A Capristo X-pipe and Capristo valved exhaust?

Every opinion and advice will be highly appreciated, thanks in advance and sorry for my bad English.

F456M likes this.
  10. bruzzifumi

bruzzifumi Karting

Mar 27, 2015
    My 2 cents (Pennys...for the UK friends), just to give "Jda" a further point of view:

Original 550 headers follow the same 6 into 2 into 1 set up of all classic V12 road Ferrari engines. This set-up gives the V12 a complex sound at medium RPM which is so typical in classic Ferraris.

6 into 1 set up (as Fabio's one) gives V12 that screaming effect of new millenium Ferraris.

H and X arrangements for central section change the tone too but in a minor way.

You simply could listen these 2 options and decide which one your ears like the most.
    What I agree with most of the friends here is that the standard exhaust definitively doesn't give any justice to F133 engine.

F456M and root like this.
  11. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    We have the tubi without headers and I used to be a Capristo importer and installed many. I like Capristo MUCH more than tubi.

I will be adding Fabios headers to our car once it transfers ownership from pops to me. IMHO, the sound is amazing.

I dont need cats where I live.

F456M likes this.
  12. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Once the headers are in it's pretty easy and low risk to play around with mid sections and back boxes. It's an opportunity to embark on a fun testing journey.

13. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Agree with your statement. To my ears I found the simple and inexpensive replacement of the center resonator with Fabio's double H-Pipes to be exactly what I was looking for. The sound is not too loud when driven gently but can provide plenty of aural pleasure when engine is revved up above 5,000 rpm. The center resonator muffles all that too much so losing it opens up the exhaust system just the right amount for my hearing pleasure not to mention freer exhaust flow and weight reduction. Obviously others may demand more which can be progressively achieved with some experimentation.

14. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I have a tubi race rear muffler/exhaust setup for a 550/575; it’s definitely much nicer than stock. It has a lot of deeper tones and a nice midrange.

I’ll will be selling in a month or two though to go back to stock for a concours attempt

JohnnyRay likes this.
  15. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    That set-up will be fantastic. I an sure! The X make the pitch go a bit higher and that makes it more comfortable at idle and through the lower rpms.

16. Stevenight2106

Dec 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Steven Bizzocchi
    Thanks everyone for your advice, so it's decided, fabio headers (with cats) capristo x-pipe and capristo valved exhaust with switch.

One last question, fabio propose headers with secondary air or without. What is that and wath is the difference? Thanks again.

17. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Sec air is for better emission at cold start.
    You do not need it really.

I have the headers without sec air.

No cell without the sec air version.
    Emission ceck is with hot engine, so no problem.
    Only problem could be when the guy from the emission check remember the missing sec air.

Save the money, and Fabio has less work too.
    ;)

Daniel

18. Stevenight2106

Dec 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Steven Bizzocchi
    Oh, ok, thanks, but since i live in Belgium its might be safer to choose the one with secondary air...
    Control are really annoying here...

19. Stevenight2106

Dec 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Steven Bizzocchi
    Now the big question is: where to install these things??

Also, can someone here know the approximate cost of a full paint job on a 550 maranello on the ferrari store?

Because i have seen a 550 to sell in really good condition with lot of option but the she need a new paint job.

The car was vandalized plus it's green...

20. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Green looks great on Maranellos. Costs a lot more to change paint color than it does to go with the original color.

21. Stevenight2106

Dec 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Steven Bizzocchi
    I imagine, but green it's really not my color. My fav color for this car is dark blue... i can afford let's say 15k € for the paint considering it's a good offer.

22. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Erik (F456M) can help about painting and costs.

Daniel

23. Stevenight2106

Dec 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Steven Bizzocchi
    Hi again, i don't want to abuse with all my questions but i whait this car for so long i don't want to make any mistake.

So, i was wondering, why the 575 f1 is available at lower price than the 550 overall?

Because if it's only about the gearbox, i love automatic so in this case i would be happy to take the 575 instead.

With the same exhaust setup that i mentioned before.

Any advice? Any reason to avoid the 575?

24. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    These are ballparks but its a combination of gearbox (80-95%), personal preference / styling / not the original/first generation (5-20%).

I love my 575, but even freely admit the 550 has certain stylist details/lines/angles/interior features I like more than my car.

Mechanically, they are generally more sorted, all things being equal. Naturally these are general trends and a well sorted, 550 will be much less headache then an a neglected 575

JohnnyRay likes this.
  25. Stevenight2106

Dec 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Steven Bizzocchi
    Thanks auraraptor, well, in this case i will probably go for the 575 because of the average price and also because i love automatic gearbox.

For me, the 2 look almost the same, except for the inetrior and i love the 575 a little more.

About exhaust, apparently i can get the exsact same config for the exact same price...

Only cons is that the 575 is 2002 so she will not be a old timer until at least 2032 instead of 2026 for the 550...

Which mean 10k€ tax the first year and 5k every year until 2032... belgium...