Wanted - Looking to buy my first Rolex | FerrariChat

Wanted Looking to buy my first Rolex

Discussion in 'Other Parts & Collectibles' started by Gle8, Jul 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Good things happening in my life, and time to reward myself.

Trying to stay around 6k, but I'm a bit flexible. Would really like a new air king, but open to pre-owned sub or explorer II.

Thanks!

4re308, technom3, Performify and 2 others like this.
  2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    PMd you.

technom3 and Gle8 like this.
  3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I would be a "green Milgauss" guy if my ship ever sails...congrats!!

Someone will be along there's some dealers here.
    As you know...

root and Gle8 like this.
  4. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I like that the new Air King uses the Milgauss case, so you're getting the same anti-magnetic as the Milgauss with a (to me) better look.

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sure, as both an electrician and a surfer it's the lightning bolt sweep second that totally lures me in! LOL!

root, 4re308, technom3 and 2 others like this.
  6. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    My wife bought me a Deep Sea a couple of years ago as a gift for our 35th anniversary through a friend's broker.
    I love the piece now but was very uneasy about owning such an expensive piece of equipment. I felt as I was unworthy of having it on my wrist as I like nice things but this was over the top. I soon grew to get used to wearing it and now think nothing about grabbing it putting it on. It is one of those things that just feels right in time.....

Whatever you chose, have fun and enjoy the experience of finding and buying your timepiece.
    I hope you love it as much as I do mine and that you wear it with pride.

Best wishes,
    Gene Greer

7. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If you're looking at the Air King, have you considered the Oyster Perpetual 39?

8. JTT

JTT Karting

Jun 16, 2020
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    J Taylor
    I have been collecting Rolex since the 90’s so have a bit of experience but it will essentially comes down to the one you like best on your wrist. The subs and any of the professional models have appreciated in value the most during this time. Stainless is still the most popular models on the resale market. I prefer the larger wearing watches but I have large wrists. I would recommend you buy from a trustworthy dealer as there are many pieces floating around that have non genuine parts inside. Until you know exactly what you are looking at it’s better to be careful and buy from a reputable source.
    btw-the Gmt Pepsi with an acylic crystal is my favourite of all my watches. It’s vintage but a really neat piece.

Gle8 likes this.
  9. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    technom3 likes this.
  10. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I have a Z-Blue Milgauss, my favorite Rolex. Many non-watch people see the sunlight glow the green crystal on the side and think it’s a smart watch until I show them the face is real and a Rolex. A couple of things. The movement feels a little less smooth when adjusting the time than a day-date or date-just, but if you never adjusted one of those, it’s still light years ahead of cheaper watches. Also if you buy any polished Rolex, get a roll of blue painters tape and a container of cape cod polishing cloths as the polished center links scratch easily. To clean up the brushed part requires skill and a fiberglass pen. I bought mine new a few years back in Delaware and by the time my shopping was finished at the mall, I had put light scratches in the band so I lightly polish it every few months with the cap cod cloths and it keeps the watch looking new. The only watch that I had that scratched easier was my Patek, but now that’s someone else’s problem.

Cheers,
    Corey
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

root, jsa330, technom3 and 3 others like this.
  11. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    Hey Corey,

Beautiful watch and some great info in your post.
    Good to know this kind of 411.
    Time for me to add another watch on to my already long list...

Thanks,
    Gene Greer

12. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    everyone needs a Sub

might as well start there

4re308 and ag997s like this.
  13. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    My dad, who passed away in April 2019 from Alzheimer's, bought this SS Sub brand new in 1979 for $500. It is actually a 1978 model I believe. I remember it well because he gave me his Seiko to wear when he got the Rolex. When I had to move him to assisted living, I was scared to death someone would steal his Rolex, so I kind of pulled a fast one and bought a fake and switched them out. I felt awful about that, I'm not sure if it registered to him that the fake was a fake. Anyhow, I put it in the top of my closet and after he passed away, I started wearing it. It is so cool because I think of my dad basically every time I put it on. It runs a tad slow but that's ok. I never leave the house without it, and I don't even go to bed without it. If I happen to take it off, the world stops until I have located it. I will be instructing my son to rescue it from me if I end up in similar shape as my dad.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    VERY Smart move.

I lost a lot of jewelry, including watches, during my mother's time in a dementia home.

Matt

2dinos and technom3 like this.
  15. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    in care professionals will steal anything not bolted down.....

2dinos and technom3 like this.
  16. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Engrave the rolex with a personal message. Wear the rolex as much as you can, scratch it up, beat it up, let it get patina. When your kids get it one day, it will be more valuable to them in that condition, as a memory of you.

Otherwise, if you ever plan to sell, just leave it in the box...

paulyp, 4re308, G50carerra and 6 others like this.
  17. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I won’t be selling mine - it keeps alive the memories of my dad.

spike308, Gle8 and bpu699 like this.
  18. JTT

JTT Karting

Jun 16, 2020
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    J Taylor
    Nice piece. I have given my dad a few over the years and hope to re inherit them. As people age they don't move around as much and have trouble keeping them wound. Be careful when you send it for service that they don't update any of the parts. Keep it as original as possible. Also don't let them polish it.
    Regards,
    Joe

19. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    Look at FCHAT member website and ask for Eddie.
    https://modernswiss.com/

Drewbdo and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  20. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Eddie is the man! I trust him and he keeps his word.

He also dispenses great advice and he actually "looks after you". He has very very good pricing. He is Virtually at wholesale on his stuff.

Can say enough nice things about him and the watch industry is full of bad apples. He is one of the good ones!

Drewbdo, ROMO and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  21. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Thank you for the kind words/recommendations ROMO and technom3. My site won't be much use right now because ever since COVID started steel sports Rolexes have been flying off the shelf. They usually sell within a week if not a few days. It's gotten to the point that I don't even list a lot of stuff anymore since I already have people lined up for them.

I already spoke with the OP and presented him with some options.

3604u, Gle8 and GatorFL like this.
  22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Eddie,

What would be your pricing on a new Milgauss green, black face, and do you run across any nice used ones??
    PM is fine...

Alan
    Houston

23. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I've got a Platinum and steel Yachtmaster, all boxes and papers, that I might be willing to sell. I had it factory serviced and it's been sitting in the safe ever since. I don't know what it is worth though.

24. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I just sold a nice and clean December 2019 model last week for $7,500 but it wasn't new. I'll PM you and get you pricing on a new one. The Milgauss has become much more sought after too but luckily for you, the blue dial is in higher demand.

I'll PM you as I need a few more details for an exact price.

GatorFL likes this.
  25. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Eddie gave me a fair price for one of my watches. If you don't care to extract the last drop out of your watch you can Eliminate alot of hassle and have Eddie buy it. He might get made at me for saying this but he seems to pay 95 cents on the dollar for stuff which is pretty dang fair.

There are alot of watch scams out there and shady people who deal in this stuff. I started trading watches a couple years ago and it's a from grim world. I thought the car business was bad... The watch and jewelry world might actually be worse

Gle8, 3604u, ROMO and 4 others like this.