550 Maranello: Exhaust ideas | Page 11 | FerrariChat

550 Maranello: Exhaust ideas

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by mbyormark, Aug 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dm993tt

Dm993tt Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    David
    6-1 Headers, 200 cell cats, & center H pipe from Fabio Fiammenghi & Tubi. Mufflers. It is exactly the sound I was hoping to achieve. I tried without center section first, and it was still too quiet. It is perfect now and I could drive it across the county as there is no drone or anthing. Docile under 4k revs

F456M and Harryk like this.
  2. Dm993tt

Dm993tt Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    David
    Tubi muifflers

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Did your 575 have the factory center resonator or was it a later car (Assembly number 51797+)?

4. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    F456M likes this.
  5. Dm993tt

Dm993tt Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    David
    Its a 550.

6. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    LoL, if I actually watched the video and that was very clear! Car sounds just lovely.

F456M likes this.
  7. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Do you happen to know which Tubis you have? My “competition” Tubis sound much raspier, though I am not running cats and it may just be from increased airflow.

8. Dm993tt

Dm993tt Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    David
    I actually have no idea which tubis are in there. I will say that I was going for a specific sound and I started with just headers and 200cel cats and it made a very subtle difference, but once I put the center h pipe from Fabio in, it was exactly the note I was after. I absolutely love it now. My dog can fall asleep on road trips and there is no drone or resonance. and when the revs are norht of 4 it sounds perfect to me.

Auraraptor likes this.
  9. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    That’s awesome and agreed, it sounds perfect! If you get a chance, stick a camera under one of the mufflers for a pic.

10. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    F456M and Dm993tt like this.
  11. MotoMeccanica

MotoMeccanica Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    Calgary Alberta
    Not a 550, but on my '95 456GT. I had previously installed the Braden straight pipes eliminating the resonator, then found a set of Tubi's. I just did the clutch in it, so when re-installing the exhaust I put in the a set of Front 2-1 Euro pipes eliminating the catalytic converters. It sounds exactly the way a V12 should now, so good!!

F456M, Il Tifoso and white out like this.
  12. flsupraguy

flsupraguy Rookie

Apr 27, 2014
    Wow! Wish I could get this on a 550

white out likes this.
  13. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    If you have PM's, shoot me one, I couldn't find it on your profile. Have you attempted to fit 550 manifolds on a 575 or 575 secondary cats on a 550? The secondary cats look identical even though they have different part numbers (different cat construction?).

14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No, I have not tried 550 manifolds. Fabio is building me a 6-1 exhaust as we speak. Those are not the secondary cats, they are the primary cats. The secondary cat language is a marketing ploy by aftermarket exhaust sellers trying to get owners to go with just the precats and eliminate the primary cats. The pre-cats are designed to get everything up to temperature rapidly and cleaning before the primary cats warm up and start doing their job. Later cars with more efficient ignition/injection systems and better catalysts do not need the precats and only have one or two primary cats.

I do not take PMs (conversations) because I get asked questions I am not qualified to answer.

15. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Good to know about PM.

Thanks for clarifying. I referenced first/second as their location downstream from the engine. The 550 likely has a different cat since its the only cat vs. the 575 secondary hence the different part number. But physically they look very similar. Fabio headers will be a nice upgrade.

16. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    In Germany every 2 years we have a technical check which includes an emission check also.

Today I had the first emissions check with Fabio's 6-1 headers and cats, I installed them autumn 2018.

Result :
    Excellent emissions !
    So the cats works fine.

Drove home at the German Autobahn (highway with no speed limit).
    Man, this machine pulls.

;)

Daniel

F456M, Harryk, niftyfivefifty and 3 others like this.
  17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Daniel- Not too long before I get to try them out. Give me a month or so.

DZ-96 likes this.
  18. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Terry

I saw that you ordered them.
    :)

You will bring your 575 into a new sphere.
    And you will have regrets that you haven't ordered them earlier.

With the corona situation, I have to wait some time before I will get the system for my 599 GTB.

Please report when you have installed the system.

Daniel

19. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Definitely would love to hear a before and after clip ! I have Fabio’s Double H pipe on now and his Muffler Deletes shipped just a few days ago.

His 456M headers are on my wishlist.

F456M likes this.
  20. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Just got around to unpacking Fabio's mufflers. Been sitting in their shipping box in my garage since early June. They weigh about 15 lb each compared to about 35 lb each for the original mufflers. Smaller too.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ferrari55whoa, Auraraptor and F456M like this.
  21. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    SO exciting.

@root since I’m not familiar, and if you don’t mind sharing how many miles on your 550?

Excited you are also in the Bay Area....hopefully “post-covid” I can hear your car at an area event.

I think last year at the Los Gatos car show we had one 550 and one 575 if I recall correctly.

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Those HGTC-style tailpipes Fabio uses are really nice. Discolor less, too.

23. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    "Intercooled" tailpipes. They look sharp too.

F456M likes this.
  24. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    enesset- My car has just over 18k miles. Was hoping to participate in the Delta Dash. Don't know if it will be held in January. Look forward to putting COVID behind us and everyone is healthy and safe.

Taz- yes I too like the HGTC style tailpipes. I can see why surface temp will be less than the original tailpipes.

Fabio's mufflers don't require studs like the original muffler. Just 2 bolts and 2 nuts arrangement. The original 2 nuts (part no, 114748) used by the factory to connect the exhaust pipe to the muffler and the 4 nuts (part no 14058519) used to hold the muffler in place look identical. All are the same size, have builtin washer, and seem to have copper content. Yet, the two pipe/muffler fasteners are about 10 times the price of the 4 hanger nuts. I plan to use SS bolts and nuts with nickle grade anti-seize compound (non graphite) to connect the mufflers to the exhaust pipes, and new hanger nuts from the dealer.

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  25. Dm993tt

Dm993tt Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    David

mbyormark and F456M like this.